August 9, 2011

Move

When I got home late last night - after a 14 hour day and a quick jaunt to and from West Virginia - Beth showed me an insanely cool video. I'd just spent the length of a car ride from West Virginia talking to a co-worker about where we'd like to live. Serendipity, some would say.

So - since I'm worn out from aforementioned 14 hour day - I ask you a question: If money was no object, where would you move?

Posted by Chris at August 9, 2011 7:21 AM
Comments

I want to live in a place where there is a sense of community and belonging. Somewhere where it takes a village to raise a child and where everyone belongs and is valued. Where I live now is pretty darn close to that but it is easy (and busy) and I am ready for a change and a new challenge. I would love to live (maybe temporarily, maybe not) in the jungle of Papua New Guinea or somewhere equally amazing and remote where life is about more than 'stuff'. Fingers crossed dreams to come true...

Posted by: del at August 9, 2011 7:40 AM

There's a lake about 2 miles from here with amazing houses on it. I'd buy one of the choice lots and build a nice house. I love this town and don't ever plan on leaving.

We also love to travel. But in all of our destinations, whether exotic or just a visit to family in a different town, we've never found a place as inviting as our hometown.

Posted by: Brad at August 9, 2011 8:45 AM

I'd move to Destin or Pensacola, Florida. I love the weather and the clear water beaches. Probably the only reason I don't move now is because my kids (grown) and my grandkids live relatively close by, and I just can't imagine moving away from them.

If money were no object, I'd have a house on the beach and spend the rest of my life with my toes in the sand!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at August 9, 2011 8:53 AM

Give me a beach, any beach. Would not be upset if it was in the Caribbean or the South Seas, but would be perfectly happy with the Jersey Shore (the place, certainly not the show).

Posted by: cyndy at August 9, 2011 8:54 AM

No Contest, France.

Not Paris, but within striking distance of it. Some French city that not everyone visits.

But French enough for me to get fluent at the language.

And to be, you know, in FRANCE!

*wilts*

Posted by: Deeleea at August 9, 2011 9:06 AM

Right back to San Francisco.

Posted by: ann adams at August 9, 2011 9:37 AM

In my dream world, near the beach. Maybe even San Diego again. Thinking a little more realistically, I might stay here. A nicer neighborhood and nicer home... and the same for my parents. But I like the relationships I've made here, the community my kids are growing up in. I may just buy a beach house instead...to get away and take whomever I want whenever I want.

Posted by: varinia at August 9, 2011 9:45 AM

If money were no object, I'd probably have houses in several locations. One on a lake or river in Eastern Washington. One on the Olympic peninsula. One in Chicago. One near my family. One in Paris. Then I could bounce back and forth between them as I felt like.

Posted by: Dawn at August 9, 2011 9:54 AM

The Hamptons on the beach but also with a dock for a boat/jet skis. Still close enough to NYC/Brooklyn where I live now and love, and not so far that I can still easily fly back home and see my family....I would say Italy's Amalfi coast, but only if I could bring every family member with me :)

Posted by: Susan at August 9, 2011 10:39 AM

If money were no object, I think I'd have houses in lots of places. Here in DC, where my family is. Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, because I love it there and it is so beautiful in the summer. And somewhere sunny and warm, where I could be near the ocean. Ooh and somewhere in Europe, because if money were no object, I'd do a lot of traveling :)

Posted by: Hillary at August 9, 2011 10:42 AM

Out of the country: Paris. With of course maybe a small cottage in the country for weekends or extended weeks.

In the US: Healdsburg CA because we lived there for 7 or so years and it is the most beautiful place and to be able to go back and live there withOUT having to work would be awesome!

Posted by: NancyB at August 9, 2011 11:31 AM

I would move to Mountain View, CA, within walking distance of Castro Street, and buy a house that is no fewer than 60 years old with a big lot and a huge porch.

Posted by: Brooke at August 9, 2011 11:54 AM

Eastern coast of Scotland, county of Fife, just outside of St. Andrews in a nice little place with a view of the coastline.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 9, 2011 12:07 PM

A place like "Ballykissangel" from BBC. Or on Serenity. Obviously I have a problem with reality.

Posted by: joss is boss at August 9, 2011 9:55 PM

Northern California!!! Really love Santa Cruz, landlocked in Indiana....give me the beach!!

Posted by: karen at August 10, 2011 1:32 AM

Cartier Ring production process is the same to a new couple who have experienced a lot of difficulties. Finally, the new couple has put cartier bracelet to each other, promising that they two will love and live together forever. At the same time Cartier Love Bracelets is widely known because of its famous legend. Cartier created jewelry Cartier Watch after its foundation, as a result watch has become gorgeous and delicate. In the past few years, cartier ring has introduced many Cartier watches which was equipped with self-movement product. Thousands of Swiss watch making in the current enterprise, there is not many brand can self-producing movement of the watch, not many can say whether the movement is the self-produced high-end brands distinguishing from the thousands of ordinary brand is a shortcut. cartier eyewear have achieved the high prestige certification by Geneva Seal certification which is rather difficult to get the certification for most brand of watches. Now Cartier Jewelry shop has been founded for more than 150 years. It is world famous and has achieved many reputation outside. May cartier sunglasses gain more success and design newly style of jewels in the coming years.

Posted by: cartier ring at August 10, 2011 6:12 AM

Ah, but did you see the other videos in that series, Learn and Eat? All three of them are so good.

As for where I'd move...even with all of the travel I've done recently, I still have no idea. I feel like I have to travel more and see more and THEN I can make a decision. For now, though, my cross country move from MD to San Diego just 2 months ago will have to suffice. :-)

Posted by: shan at August 10, 2011 1:54 PM

I'd have a place in Gros Morne National Park, and a place in Hawaii... but really I'd like not to be bound to one place.

Posted by: Nat at August 11, 2011 11:34 AM

Internationally, I would head for Denmark or Italy. Been to Denmark and the people and scenery were AMAZING. Never been to Italy but with money as no object, I could take my time finding a location and finding/building a villa to meet my needs - and by villa I mean big freaking house with guest quarters and vineyard.

Stateside, I would move to Charleston, SC. Just got back from a visit there and am totally in love with the city; from the history to the architecture to the southern hospitality and charm to the AMAZING food. The weather was a bit hot for my taste but even that can be circumvented by good central air.

With unlimited funds, I would purchase one of the antebellum mansions on the waterfront plus a beach cottage on Sullivan's Island, complete with surfboard and golfcart to get around.

I'd also have a home with guest quarters on Hood Canal in WA so we could be around family on occasion, too.

Posted by: zanie at August 11, 2011 2:21 PM

I would have a house in either the Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island in SC, and a mountain house in western North Carolina. I grew up going to Sullivan's Island every summer, and I would love to have a place there for our retirement since I know that my children would always come to visit.

Posted by: KathyT at August 11, 2011 5:18 PM

No fair, you didn't tell us where you'd move!

I'm always completely frustrated by my inability to answer these types of big picture questions. While there are things that frustrate me about my current location, inertia is a bitch. And it's not like I have a super strong calling to move someplace specific.

I would love to live on the water...which body of water I have no idea.

Posted by: Tracy at August 13, 2011 5:57 PM