August 1, 2011

New Ride

We finally did it. We broke down and bought a new car. The car we replaced? My gradually-failing VW.

As much as I wanted a new car, I had mixed feelings as I drove to the dealership. On the one hand, at some point the VW was going to explode in a shimmering burst of German parts and electronics. But, on the other, it was fun to drive and, most importantly, it was paid for.

On Saturday morning I cleaned out the VW, vacuumed it out and took it to the car wash, and steeled myself for an appraisal that would leave me grabbing my ankles and feeling violated. What I got instead was a rather pleasant Indian gentleman, a appraisal $500 over the Blue Book value, and a fully loaded, slightly used (8,000 miles) version of the exact car I had my heart set on. By 1:00, I loaded two car seats and the kids into my brand-mostly-new car and drove it off the lot.

It's kinda awesome.

For the past few months I've been eyeing the Mazda 3. It's gotten great ratings - safety, reliability and awesomeness - and it's sporty. So that's what I ended up with. It's silvery-gray and has halogen headlights, a sunroof, Bluetooth connectivity, a Bose stereo system with iPod jack, leather seats and it starts with the push of a button. Sure, I know these things are all old-school by now but I've been riding around a less-than-cutting edge though very fun-to-drive German wagon for seven years. I'm easily impressed.

I think I'll go joyriding for lunch.

Posted by Chris at August 1, 2011 6:42 AM
Comments

We are in the same boat with our 2000 Saturn. We just hit 110,000 with it and myriad things are starting to get wonky. But...we still have 2.5 years of payment on our van. So we are just going to drive the damn thing until it falls apart and hope no one gets hurt when it does :P

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 1, 2011 8:03 AM

I desperately need to replace my 4 WD Jeep. I may get one more winter out of it, but that's all.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 1, 2011 8:30 AM

I love my Mazda 3 :-) Great choice!

Posted by: Julie Andel at August 1, 2011 8:32 AM

Well, a big, happy congratulations! I'm mildly disappointed that there's no photo of you behind the wheel, parked in the driveway, windows down, stereo up. :P

ALSO: I'm just hearing the Weekly Kick Ass Music Podcast. TOTALLY rad. And this music? Isn't even my style, but I'm totally digging the mix of music and you opening my ears to some new tunes.

Posted by: Emily at August 1, 2011 8:56 AM

Congrats on the new ride! We have two Mazdas - a Protege (the 3's predecessor) and a 5 (a minivan built on the 3's platform) - and they're both great cars. The Protege has treated us well for going on 10 years now. Though, neither car is nearly as tricked out as yours. Enjoy!

Posted by: Jessie at August 1, 2011 10:49 AM

Congrats on the new car! Photos please!!

Posted by: Krush at August 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Good move. I've got a 2010 Mazda3, four door bose/moonroof, 5 speed manual... I drive a lot -- one year old, 22K miles, and I love it. I look forward to driving it every day. It's just an awesome little car.

Posted by: Aaron at August 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Excellent choice, my good sir! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. I've put 45K miles on it in the past 3.5 years, and it's still just as awesome as the day I bought it.

Posted by: Dawn at August 1, 2011 12:06 PM

I'm proud of you guys for buying used. Now, here's the caveat to the following statements: my husband is a weekend mechanic. We have only been buying and paying cash for vehicles for years! It is a whole new world. Right now, I'm driving a Mercedes E 320. Granted it is an older model, but oh my gosh, is it stylish! Because we buy used we are both driving beautiful German cars that look brand new. We have two Mercedes and one fun weekend car, a BMW Z3 that we paid nothing for. Used is the only way to go!

Posted by: Angie at August 1, 2011 8:21 PM

Ohhh I so want a "new to me" car. (Ideally I'd like it just a year or two old) and I've been looking enviously at the mazda3 for ages. Jealouscakes ;) My poor car is just getting so beat up! There are several little scratches and dents that I need to get fized, but I can't quite resign myself to the cost (even "just" the deductible, plus the difference it makes in my rate...) when it doesn't affect how the car runs at all. It's still running well, thankfully! Yay Honda! but she's just not as pretty as she used to be ;)

Posted by: Heather at August 2, 2011 1:13 AM

I didn't think it was possible to do anything qualifying as 'joy' involving driving in D.C.

If I were in the market for a new car, I'd go for the Mazda 3, too. I've been a Mazda fan ever since they came out with the Mazda 8 with the rotary engine. It just looks and sounds and rides like a dream.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 2, 2011 10:06 AM

You deserved it. congrats!

Posted by: Ronnie at August 4, 2011 4:15 AM

Your article write very well.

Posted by: North Face jackets outlet at August 10, 2011 10:28 PM