August 15, 2011

Taste Like Summer

I was going to talk about the weekend trip we took to lovely Zanesville, Ohio, home of the legendary (in some circles) Y Bridge and most of the people (past and present) to whom I'm related. But, as it turns out, there's a lot of ground to cover there. And since we rolled in at 2:00 on Sunday after a seven hour road trip, I don't really have it in me to recount everything in a coherent manner. Instead, food.

About twenty miles from home yesterday we stopped at a local produce stand. It's not much to look at but they sell almost every type of fruit and vegetable imaginable and everything's grown locally. We left with $40 in fresh produce and ened up with the most wonderful dinner ever - caprese salad with fresh basil, mozzarella and tomatoes; sweet corn on the cob sprinkled with butter, salt, pepper and Old Bay; and yellow watermelon.

It was just the kind of meal that made me recall the summers I spent in Zanesville with my grandparents, working in their acre-sized garden, shelling fresh sweet peas, eating onions like apples, and feeling the sinus buzz of fresh radishes shoot up my nose.

For a split second it made me want to move to a modest sized farm in the rolling hills around eastern Ohio, plant and raise everything myself, let the kids run around from dawn to dusk. Then I remembered that the only diversity I'd seen was Sunday morning when I met a lady from Kansas. And speaking of that the only ethnic restaurant I caught sight of was the Great Wall Chinese Buffet. Not a lot of multiculturalism in small town Ohio.

But still, it was a damn good dinner. It tasted like summer. Since we're nearing the end of the season, it was much needed. And hit the spot.

Posted by Chris at August 15, 2011 7:43 AM
Comments

Since I have a vegetable garden, there are many days, we simply eat from the earth. I do buy things like eggs and cheese, but oh, how lovely to eat the fresh tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 15, 2011 8:14 AM

Wow.. it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that eats onions like apples! I used to work on a farm in the summers, and once in a while, while weeding the celery, we'd stumble on a stray onion or two. Everyone thought I was strange, but those suckers were good!

Posted by: Kim at August 15, 2011 9:21 AM

Glad to know we Kansans are diverse - anyway outside of our state! But I know what you mean about Ohio - it seems no one leaves or enters. I lived in Columbus for three years (so I know exactly where Zanesville is!) and was at a neighborhood function and people were saying things like "Oh - you're not from around here, you're from Cleveland." So having moved there from Texas, I wondered if that meant I was an alien.

Posted by: Heather at August 15, 2011 9:40 AM

It's nice to be reminded of things like that. I have similar memories of my family in Alabama and sometimes I totally want to move out to the country, away from the insanity of urban life.

Posted by: Claire at August 15, 2011 9:46 AM

D'oh, that's what I get for reading in reverse order; I see you did mention the Y bridge here. My bad!

Posted by: auridicyl at August 16, 2011 10:11 AM

The design of the Canada Goose Sale that a removable hood surrounds the collar brings the person much warmth. With quilted layer, Canada Goose Parka is a musthave for the fans of Canada Goose.

Posted by: Canada Goose Jackets at August 16, 2011 11:57 PM