August 5, 2011

The Weeklies #182

Yep, you can listen to this one too though it should be noted that some of the audio is a little crude...so don't blast it at work, okay?

The Weekly Beer. Red Hook's Copper Hook.

The Weekly Fish. Arctic char.

The Weekly Phrase Most Used With My Kids. Watch the attitude.

The Weekly Work Activity. Conference calls. I've been on about 382 conference calls this week. Or at least it seems like it.

The Weekly Automotive Awesomeness. My new car. Every time I drive it I figure out that it does something else cool.

The Weekly TV. Mad Men. Yes, we're a little behind the times but Mad Men just arrived on Netflix's streaming service so we're giving it a shot. Three episodes in we're still not sure what to think.

The Weekly Word I Can't Seem To Spell. Strategic.

The Weekly Good Dude. Matt Damon went to bat for teachers during a stop in DC. He said, in part:

"The wealthy are paying less than they've paid at any time, certainly in my lifetime and probably in the last century. I don't know what they were paying in the Roaring '20s, but it's criminal that so little is asked of people who are getting so much. I don't mind paying more, I really don't mind paying more taxes. I'd rather pay more for taxes than cut Reading is Fundamental or Head Start, or some of these programs that are really helping kids. This is the greatest country in the world, is it that much worse if you pay 6 percent more in taxes? Give me a break. Look at what you get for it. You get to be American."

The Weekly Question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how concerned about the economy are you?

Posted by Chris at August 5, 2011 7:47 AM
Comments

Mad Men is rather addicting. I started watching during Season 2. At first I could "root" for some of the characters, but this last season they had evolved so I didn't really WANT to like any of them, but I STILL had to keep watching. That's a sign of a good show in my opinion.

Posted by: Heather at August 5, 2011 8:01 AM

Love Mad Men. Did people really smoke and drink (and at work even!!) that much???

Economy - I'm worried that this has set us back so I will put my number as a 7.

Posted by: Debbie at August 5, 2011 8:08 AM

I try not to love Matt Damon, but he makes it so damn hard!

I'm at about an 8 on the worry scale about the economy. Listening to NPR on the way into work every day doesn't help this - today they were talking about all the signs of a double dip recession that we're seeing now and I could feel my anxiety rising, so I had to turn it off. I just feel like those children (aka politicians) in DC are trying to make our country tank. Both sides are the target of my ire these days. They can, and should, do so much better.

Posted by: Jessie at August 5, 2011 8:18 AM

I am really concerned, there is not a lot of fluff left to get rid of. People are really going to start hurting, some were just getting back on their feet from 2008. The states are broke, seriously broke. They are cutting schools, teachers, forcing employees to take furloughs, services, everything. Its a mess. I can tell you that we are not buying anything that is not necessary. No way am I spending money. I dont know if my job will be there tomorrow.

Posted by: linda at August 5, 2011 8:21 AM

Matt Damon...my hero. Seriously, never really had any reason to like or dislike Matt (although, I did like Good Will Hunting), but will have to like him a lot from now on. Too bad reasonable words will be ignored by the unreasonable people who need to hear them.

As for the economy, I try not to think about it. Really, because if I did, I'd be building a bomb shelter in my backyard and stocking it for years of living underground.

Posted by: cyndy at August 5, 2011 9:10 AM

How worried am I about the economy... I'd say 8 as well. Not any higher because I'm in disbelief a little. Did you see how much the Dow fell yesterday???
I know people think we are nuts, but we don't care, my neighbor and I started stockpiling water, canned foods and other items a few months back. Our thought is that we hope we are wrong and if so we can eat off it and donate some...but if we are not, we will have staples and we can pretty much make anything.

Mad Men... I cannot even tell you how much love I have for this show. I've watched it religiously ever since I stumbled upon the end of the first episode years ago. It is quite simply one of the best written, most intelligent, character driven shows out there. I too felt the same way at the beginning of it and even in the last season... but stick with it. I love it because it doesn't condescend the viewers and spoon feed them all the quick answers.

Posted by: varinia at August 5, 2011 9:40 AM

Put me at a 5 for concern. Stick with Mad Men. You won't be sorry. I love Matt Damon...even more now that I found out he defended teachers.

Posted by: Schadenfreude Warehouse at August 5, 2011 9:50 AM

I should probably be more concerned about the economy, but I'm really not sure what good/bad economy means for me personally, other than that in a bad economy, my husband is even less likely to get a job soon.

I also just added Mad Men to my instant queue to remind me to watch it when I have an hour to spare. Maybe this weekend. I have heard so much about it and I love period movies and TV, so I'm eager to check it out.

I cannot, with confidence, spell "license". I rely on spell check for that one.

Posted by: Brooke at August 5, 2011 1:19 PM

I'm totally freaked out about the economy - life here in France is getting so outrageously expensive and I'm just not managing to climb out of debt and I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
For Mad Men - I bought the first 2 series on DVD in the spring on the recommendations of several friends. It took me at least 5 episodes to get "into" it, but then found it totally addictive. I'm not sure why - most of the characters are genuinely not very nice (though Jon Hamm is unbelievably hot, I must say). Suffice it to say that I bought series 3 and 4 pretty damn quick and watched them in shockingly short time once they arrived. And now I'm waiting impatiently for series 5 (and hoping that Betty Draper gets what's coming to her because of all the unpleasant characters, for me, she takes the biscuit!).

Posted by: Kirsty at August 5, 2011 2:54 PM

Stick with Mad Men. We were ambivalent when we began watching (we get it On Demand here). But after Season 3 we are hardcore addicted. Like worse than Lost.

Re: the economy: I am glad to be an American and not Greek, Irish, Italian or Spanish. If we topple, so do the strong Pacific Asian economies, so it's in their best interest to prop us up. And they will.

Long term, I'm worried that our selfish nation takes down the world through its over-consumption.

Posted by: Laura Gato at August 5, 2011 4:49 PM

At the economy I'm on a red, blaring 10.

I could never get into Mad Men. I tried. Couldn't do it.

Posted by: Mindy at August 5, 2011 5:17 PM

Economy - 8, freaked out by the practically non-functioning government.

Mad Men - Can't recommend it more highly. Stick with it.

Matt Damon - Love him! He's my favorite movie star, partially because of how he seems to be in real life.

Good luck with the attitude adjustment of the kids.

Posted by: LeeAnn at August 5, 2011 5:37 PM

No clue about MadMen but The Man loves it.

US Economy, well it was at a 10, sort of at a overall 8 the rest of the time. It's as if the Republicans need to the take the Tea Baggers aside and give them a lesson in what happens when they fuck with shit on this scale. Then they all need to get back to work and get shit done. Because really this is ridiculous.

Posted by: Nat at August 5, 2011 8:56 PM

Really? You didn't know men used to treat women that way? Doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it sure as hell still happens.

After yesterday -- 8.7

I kind of wanted to vomit. What the hell is going on? We need to pay more taxes and cut stupid shit. I just want to kick everyone out and do it myself at this point. Maybe we need assholes like me to take over. It's Julius Caesar declaring an emergency so that we can cross that rubicon.

(May or may not be in the middle of a Facebook war with my Republican friends and Democrat friends who won't admit that both sides are fucking it up.)

Posted by: alektra at August 5, 2011 10:15 PM

We haven't gotten into Mad Men (yet) either, but I did go to college with Rich Summer. It's my claim to fame!

Posted by: Julie at August 5, 2011 10:38 PM

Sommer. D'oh.

Posted by: Julie at August 5, 2011 10:39 PM

Mad Men - I love it even though I kind of feel a little sick/grossed out/annoyed/frustrated something pretty much after every episode. But my thoughts are that any time tv makes you feel that, it must be good.

I'm kind of like the ostrich with its head in the sand re: the economy. All I know is I left the country for a year to travel towards the end of 09 hoping it'd be better when I got back. I've been back for a year now and have had a hell of a time trying to find a job.

Posted by: shan at August 5, 2011 11:06 PM

Aw, points to Matt Damon. The American economy scares me because of how strongly it affects the Canadian economy and the world economy and sometimes I think the whole thing's just going to implode and we'll be in some freaking post-apocalyptic horror novel.

Posted by: Heather at August 6, 2011 1:57 PM