August 12, 2011

The Weeklies #183

Listen if you dare! Oh, sorry...I made that sound scary, didn't I? It's not scary. Cheesy, yes. Scary, no. You can also download this bad boy.

The Weekly Beer. Red Hook Pilsner. I have yet to discover any resource that can tell me - without completely confusing me - the difference between ales and lagers and the 87 million varieties of beer. So I don't really know what a pilsner is. I do know that it's yummy, light and refreshing but really full-bodied.

The Weekly Music. Fountains of Wayne are back. I've always loved their stuff but nothing they've released has ever hit me over the head and made me go whoa. Until now. Sky Full of Holes is the best thing they've ever released and, if pressed, I'd say its one of the top five releases of 2011 to date. It is quirky, smart, slick, sweet, touching and altogether wonderful.

The Weekly Read. I finally made it through Daniel H. Wilson's Robopocalypse. The title says it all - robots turn evil and try to take over the world. I have mixed feelings about the book. It was structured a great deal like Max Brooks' World War Z, comprised of fictional bits of transcribed oral history. But World War Z was a much better book. Robopocalypse wasn't bad. There were little glimmers of brilliance and some great writing but they were few and far between. By the end, some characters became central to the story while others just disappeared. Is it worth reading? Yes. Should it rocket to the top of your "to read" list? Nope.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Are we going to elect another Texas governor as president? I'm from Texas and I sure as hell hope not. There was an interesting editorial on CNN yesterday. It said, in part:

His Saturday speech in South Carolina will make clear that he is entering the race for the White House and will spawn the ugliest and most expensive presidential race in U.S. history, and he will win. A C and D student, who hates to govern, loves to campaign, and barely has a sixth grader's understanding of economics, will lead our nation into oblivion.

The Weekly Question. What is the world's most perfect food? I'm going with pie.

Posted by Chris at August 12, 2011 7:38 AM
Comments

Dark chocolate!!!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 12, 2011 8:23 AM

The difference between lager and ale is the type of yeast, and the fermentation temperature. Lagers are fermented a colder temps with bottom fermenting yeast. Ales are fermented at room temperature with top fermenting yeast. The ale yeast creates a foamy head which helps protect the beer from infection while alcohol is being produced as a by product of the fermentation.

//used to homebrew.

Posted by: COD at August 12, 2011 8:57 AM

I'd go with pie as well. As for the beer question, I am a home brewer, so I could fill your comments section with a dissertation on beer making, but roughly all beer is either an ale or a lager (a pilsner is a type of lager). Ales are fermented at warmer temperatures, and lagers at colder temps. This, along with various yeasts and other ingredients, results in fuller, rounder flavors for ales, and cleaner, crisper flavors for lagers.

Posted by: J at August 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Also, what COD said. :)

Posted by: J at August 12, 2011 9:10 AM

I'm saying mac and cheese or mashed potatoes. Comfort food for the win!

Posted by: Claire at August 12, 2011 9:12 AM

I would have said that nothing beats a delicious stew or casserole for perfect (comfort) food, especially the Moroccan lamb stew that I make sometimes which to me is the perfect stew (er, that sounded arrogant, wasn't meant to be!), but then I remembered the time I had deep fried ice cream (in phyllo pastry) with butterscotch sauce, and that? That was perfection on so many levels!

Posted by: Delia at August 12, 2011 9:38 AM

Oh God. Perry. It took me a full year to escape Texas after he took office. And then I happened to move to (Sam) Brownbackistan. Maybe I should just give up and immigrate to Canada.

Posted by: Heather at August 12, 2011 9:44 AM

Oh, and perfect food is pizza, hands down.

Posted by: Heather at August 12, 2011 9:45 AM

Interesting opinion on World War Z and Robopocalypse! I thought Robo was campy and fun. Definitely not something to take seriously, but fun nonetheless. World War Z, on the other hand, bored me. I will admit though, Z was much better writing.

I know you'll definitely disagree with me on food but I have to go with chili cheese dogs. Or chili cheese fries. Yum, my absolute fave!

Posted by: Holly at August 12, 2011 10:40 AM

I don't think Perry wins it. My dad is the most conservative republican you'll ever meet and even HE doesn't like Rick Perry. As someone who still currently lives in Texas, he's not as beloved as he once was. And yes, he won re-election, but it wasn't in a walk. I'm glad he's running, I hope it gives Texas a break from him for awhile!

And the most perfect food is pasta/noodles. Any variety in any form.

Posted by: Aubrie at August 12, 2011 11:51 AM

Bacon. Duh. ;-D

Posted by: oakley at August 12, 2011 12:31 PM

Oh, that reminds me. I am so mad at you for recommending The Human Bobby. Without spoiling it, I must say that was the most unsatisfying, 6th grade writing project, cliche ending ever. I'm still fuming over it and I read it almost two weeks ago.

Posted by: Heidi at August 12, 2011 1:14 PM

Pie is good~ But in order for me to call it perfect it would have to be apple on a crisp fall day warmed with a dollop of ice cream, the rest of the year it's chips and salsa. For beer, its not my favorite, but my husband is an IPA fan and he claims there is a big difference, whatever, all I know is we always have Stone IPA in the garage

Posted by: Shannon at August 13, 2011 1:11 AM

A freshly made, hot out of the oven, Chocolate Long-John Doughnut, hands down!!

Posted by: Christine at August 13, 2011 9:05 PM

Perfect food = beer. There are theories that bread was created simply as a way to store the ingredients for beer from season to season. Close second is ribs.

I can't stand the political season that is coming up, and it has barely started; I'm going to be a fuming grumpy mess by the end. My dream candidate: Ron Paul. In an insane world, he's the sanest choice.

And I've missed a few month's worth of history, but here's hoping all is well. Rocking along in Ohio on this end.

Posted by: metawizard2 at August 13, 2011 11:09 PM

Daniel H. Wilson, Ph.D., is a REALLY awesome dude. He went to CMU when I did. I didn't know him well, but he's totally entertaining and lovely.

Posted by: alektra at August 15, 2011 8:37 PM

Oh, and pie is it.

Posted by: alektra at August 15, 2011 8:43 PM

It's funny that you mentioned Red Hook Pilsner. I was in Seattle last week for a business trip, and we went to the Red Hook brewery. THEIR BEER IS FANTASTIC. Well, the Pilsner and the Wit. The Wit is like Blue Moon, unfiltered, but SO MUCH BETTER THAN BLUE MOON. I'm a beer hater, so for me to like something, is surprising. Did you know, when you're drinking beer, you're mostly just drinking yeast poop? I didn't.

I haven't read World War Z yet, but my boyfriend read it and loved it. I need to read it. I"ll have to let him know about Robopacalypse.

Perfect food for me is Brusters Peanut Butter Sundae. Mmmm.

Posted by: Kim at August 16, 2011 9:56 AM

The design of the Canada Goose Sale that a removable hood surrounds the collar brings the person much warmth. With quilted layer, Canada Goose Parka is a musthave for the fans of Canada Goose.

Posted by: Canada Goose Jackets at August 16, 2011 11:59 PM