August 31, 2011

Time Keeps On Slipping...Slipping...Slipping...

Question: Just where the hell did the summer go?

I ask only because it just now occurred to me that it's the last day of August. Labor Day is just around the corner. And I'm not entirely sure I understand how that happened. I mean I do know. Time passed, sand piled up at the bottom of the hourglass and we lost ourselves in fun and sun and warmth. But - and I know this sounds cliche - it seems like just yesterday we were anticipating a long swimming season, taking our first tentative dives into chilly pools and ending the school year wondering how we could possibly entertain kids for three solid months. Now look at us. We've got new backpacks. We're armed to the teeth with fresh glue sticks and lunch boxes ready to do battle with the forces of school and increased traffics. Our rakes are finely tuned to the possibility of falling leaves.

It would be tough to pick a favorite moment of the summer. If pressed I'd say Zanesville, the four of us trapped in the car heading through rolling farmland on a beautiful warm day. Or the beach, digging deep holes in the sand claiming to tunnel to China or India or Mexico or, oddly, Canada. Or watching Mia take a first place divisional medal in her final race of the year, seeing her swim like an absolute and powerful pro. Or the day we ran through the sprinkler in the backyard for hours. Like I said, I'd be hard-pressed to pick just one.

What are your best memories of this summer?

Posted by Chris at August 31, 2011 7:36 AM
Comments

Getting to see my family and my friends, people who have heard about each other for years, finally meet and be in one spot.

Posted by: alektra at August 31, 2011 7:41 AM

The day that our daughter's adoption became final. :-) Chris - I've been reading your blog for years and haven't commented more than once or twice but wanted to say thank you. Your blog is one of the first things I read in the morning and is a great way to start the day.

Posted by: Bill at August 31, 2011 8:10 AM

It would have to be the weekends at the lake. We finally started staying Sunday night and driving home (1 hour) early Monday morning. Just knowing we didn't have to pack up on Sunday afternoon made it feel like a mini vacation with more time for Coronas on the beach!

Posted by: NancyB at August 31, 2011 8:35 AM

There have been a few.

The weekend my wife and I spent in Kilmarnock VA (just two weeks ago) for our 20th anniversary.

Seeing my daughter make the state horse judging team and get to spend the summer traveling all over the country competing...and mostly winning!

And just this past Saturday, with his grandfather in town visiting and in attendance, my son put together the best 5 hours of fencing I've ever sen from him, resulting in him winning the opening tournament of the season, upping his national rating one level, and taking home a bad ass 33 inch scimitar as the first place prize.

Posted by: COD at August 31, 2011 9:06 AM

taking the kids to iowa to meet their 96 year old great-grandpa for the first time. boom.

Posted by: kati at August 31, 2011 11:02 AM

This summer has been the hardest summer and the best summer of my life. It started off in June with my divorce and is ending in August with the promise of love and new beginnings. One minute I am ecstatically happy and the next I feel like I am going to cry but it is all worth it.

Posted by: goodsnake at August 31, 2011 11:33 AM

For once, that is easy for me to answer. We moved. Again. We got a house in a small WV town, on top of a mountain with nice view. It is only 20 miles or so from where we were but it has made a WORLD of difference in our lives. We feel at 'home' here and hope to put down roots and stay awhile. :)

Posted by: Jen at August 31, 2011 4:54 PM

This is easy: the birth of my son, Christopher, on July 26.

Posted by: ironic1 at August 31, 2011 5:33 PM

The day that Don and I biked to the Lighthouse in Cape May, NJ and I made it to the top of the Lighthouse...just incredible views. Then we biked back to the beach.

Posted by: Krush at August 31, 2011 6:35 PM