August 18, 2011

What To Read

Reading. I don't seem to be doing as much of it lately. Granted, I'm pretty busy but I do try to read every night. But I've realized lately that while I'm turning pages I'm doing so listlessly, in a very uninspired fashion. I think I'm in something of a rut. So help me escape listless page turning.

What awesomeness have you read lately? What would you recommend?

Posted by Chris at August 18, 2011 5:57 AM
Comments

I'm currently reading "A fraction of the whole" by a new Australian writer, Steve Toltz. I haven't finished it yet, so can't really give my full appraisal, but I'm very much enjoying it so far. A very poor description would say it's a book about fathers and sons, but that doesn't do it justice. It's a long book (over 700 pages), but don't let that put you off. It's a rollercoaster of a ride, a novel peopled with amazing characters, telling incredible tales. So far, I heartily recommend it!

Posted by: Kirsty at August 18, 2011 7:08 AM

Have you read the Hunger Games trilogy? Best books I have read in a long time. My boys and hubby also read them and we've had some amazing family discussions around the books.

Posted by: Jenn at August 18, 2011 7:33 AM

Like Jean said, The Hunger Games triology is amazing. Also, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo triology is great. However, the first book is really..... slow...... for the first quarter or so. It takes a while to get through the first part, but then once it picks up, it really picked up and I couldn't put it down.

Other than that, I've been reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. She's a bounty hunter that is more luck than skill. It's a funny series, but really quick reads. I read 6 of them in a week when I was on a business trip. The series isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it.

Next up, after I finish my current book, is World War Z, then I'm not sure what I'll get after that. I've heard fantastic things about the Game of Thrones series, but I have a feeling you've already read those.

Posted by: Kim at August 18, 2011 7:48 AM

Have you read Lev Grossman's The Magicians and The Magician King (which just came out)? I loved them - they're incredibly smart.

Posted by: Catherine at August 18, 2011 8:30 AM

Have you read The Windup Girl yet?? At one point you said you had it but hadn't read it. It's amazing! Cyteen is another of my all time favorites. It has a Brave New World feel to it.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 18, 2011 8:33 AM

I started reading The Last Jihad by Joel Rosenberg, and have worked my way to his third in the series The Ezekiel Option. Easy reads and they keep you engaged.

Posted by: Jeff at August 18, 2011 8:37 AM

Bookmark for your future reference ;)

And seconding Catherine's recommendation of The Magicians. I just finished it, and I'm on the wait list at the library for the sequel.

Posted by: COD at August 18, 2011 8:53 AM

The Lincoln Lawyer was a good read (Michael Connelly) or Witch & Wizard (James Patterson). Also The Art if Racing in the Rain by Gary Stein and The World is Black and White by Christopher Knight.

Posted by: Kris at August 18, 2011 9:15 AM

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is amazing. Also, if you want to momentarily dive into the fantasy genre, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is equally amazing. It blew me away (PUN ALERT!) mostly because I've never been a fan of fantasy fiction and it was so insanely good that I felt ashamed. Also also, I double dog dare you to start reading George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series because holy crap, yo. Holy crap.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 18, 2011 9:39 AM

Instead of something new, you might want to try going old...I'm currently going through a phase where I'm reading all the books I should have read but haven't yet.
I just finished Steinbeck's Cannery Row (awesome) and Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange (good, but not as good as I thought it would be). I just started Frankenstein and will read Treasure Island next.

Posted by: fauve at August 18, 2011 9:41 AM

I recently read The DaVinci Code and Worldshaker. Both were thoroughly enjoyable and not what I had expected from either.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at August 18, 2011 10:50 AM

I would also recommend The Magicians and The Magician King by Lev Grossman. So smart and funny.

Also, Kraken by China Mieville. Equally smart and funny, but a little more crazy.

Posted by: meganlynae at August 18, 2011 11:00 AM

Both of my recommendations are books written for children. But hey, a good book is a good book, right? Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransom and the Redwall series by...um...I couldn't tell you. Also, anything by Dasiell Hammett is always worth anyones time, in my humble opinion. :-)

Posted by: Holly at August 18, 2011 11:03 AM

Posted by: Holly at August 18, 2011 11:04 AM

Brian Jacques wrote the Redwall books and they are fun. Though after a while they all seemed the same. I just read Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys Over Girls, and the Consequences of a World Full of Men by Mara Hvistendahl and it was amazing. I don't know if you're a non-fiction fan, but I couldn't put it down. It's about the gender imbalance in the developing world and what it could mean for the world in the coming generations.

Posted by: Jess at August 18, 2011 11:29 AM

I am rereading the Hunger Games Trilogy (currently book 2) with my daughter right now. They are awesome books!

Alone I just finished Room (it was slow at times but very good) and have moved on to The Help...not far enough into that one to give an opinion.

Posted by: Kris H. at August 18, 2011 11:35 AM

I also recommend the Hunger Games trilogy. Very entertaining books! I really liked The Help by Kathryn Stockett, too. I'm still thinking about that book.

Right now, I'm reading through the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series (currently on book 4, Dead to teh World), which is kind of fun.

I was listening to Books on the Nightstand podcast this morning, and the episode I listened to recommended The Magician by Lev Grossman, and the sequel, The Magician King. I haven't read them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: Manda at August 18, 2011 12:38 PM

i just finished Bossypants by tina fey and it was hiLARious. you could read it in one night. i'm also reading Lean On Pete (can't remember the author off the top of my head) but he's got the northwest-y vibe down and i'm really enjoying it.

Posted by: kati at August 18, 2011 1:08 PM

If you haven't read The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), do so immediately. It may take you a couple of chapters to get into it, but once you do? You will be hooked. One of the most hauntingly beautiful things I've ever read.

Posted by: Dawn at August 18, 2011 3:59 PM

I just finished Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson. It was emotionally intense and full of action.

Posted by: Heather at August 18, 2011 7:21 PM

Probably not your usual style, but Jael McHenry's "The Kitchen Daughter" was probably the best thing I've read in awhile.

Posted by: Sarah at August 18, 2011 7:30 PM

Hm, probably not super helpful, but I've been checking out books from our library which is awesome because I can just search their catalog and request a bunch of books and pick them up on the weekend. So I've been doing a lot of reading lately, especially on my 50 minute commute to work riding the bus.

But that said, I decided that if a book just wasn't going to have any sex in it then it just wasn't really worth reading for fun. (after finishing my second master's last august i only want to read for FUN!) So I've been mostly reading romance novels. Not sure you wanna be caught reading those outside your house.

But there's some GOOD stuff out there! heh

Posted by: Angela at August 18, 2011 10:23 PM

Currently finishing "Dr. Zhivago", and am halfway through "The Girl Who Played With Fire". Just discovered how to get library e-books and they have the George R R Martin books, so I'll be into those soon.

Posted by: Brooke at August 19, 2011 1:39 PM

I'm on a Kurt Vonegaut kick right now. I actually never read anything by him before - that I remember - and I'm really enjoying Cat's Cradle right now.

And I gotta admit. I'm glad I didn't read it as a teen. I would have called it dumb and not finished it.

Posted by: Mindy at August 19, 2011 2:11 PM

I'd recommend Cutting For Stone and Shadow of the Wind. Both are excellent for transporting you to another place (Africa and Spain respectively).

Posted by: Mandy at August 19, 2011 4:59 PM

I have read two of Augusten Burroughs' books lately. I highly recommend him if you haven't read anything of his. It's not for the faint of heart!

Posted by: Stephanie at August 19, 2011 6:07 PM

I'm currently reading Cutting For Stone which is shaping up to be quite a good book. The author has done a great job of truly making the reader feel as though they are right there, that they are in the story with the characters. There have been a couple slow spots, I'm about 70% finished according to the Kindle for iPhone app, but as of now I am constantly trying to sneak a few pages in whenever I can. I see that several people have recommended the Hunger Games trilogy which I thought was fantastic and superbly addictive, but I'm not sure that those books would be up your alley. If you do read them though, I'll be very curious to see what you think. In the meantime, I've just written you a book to read!

Posted by: Dianna at August 21, 2011 2:54 AM

I'm reading Reginald Hill's "The Woodcutter" right now - can't put it down.

Posted by: akofaolain at August 22, 2011 10:11 AM

Just finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, very good read. I discovered it on Amazon's list of best books of 2011, so far and am glad I did! It is her latest book and I have now added some of her other books to my list. A previous book oh hers Bel Canto is suppose to be good.

Posted by: Tracy H. at August 23, 2011 9:36 PM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:20 AM