September 14, 2011

Giant Balls

I'm not as active as I should be. I know I should exercise or at least join a gym and say I exercise but there aren't enough hours in the day. Over the last couple of years, I've dramatically changed my eating habits. As it turns out being a vegetarian is healthy but augmenting a vegetarian diet with a pint of Ben and Jerry's a day is not. Caffeine (two cups of coffee, max) and beer (typically more than two) are my only daily vices. But its not like I sit around all day. I have kids. They wouldn't let that happen. I do, however, have a desk job so there's little that can be done about eight or ten hours of the day. I've become convinced that working behind a desk is seriously bad for your health.

A few months back I started to notice that I was waking up sore every morning. Sore legs. Unless I was sleep-sprinting, there was no good excuse. Then I realized that I'd get up from my desk every so often and hobble around for a couple of minutes until my legs stretched out and didn't feel stabby. This process makes me feel approximately 103 years old and it looks cool too. Yet when we went to the beach a few weeks ago I had no pain in my legs at all. Hmmm. I concluded it was all the sitting.

I redid my home office - new desk, new paint on the walls, but no new chair. No, I decided that instead of paying a bazillion dollars for some space age, complicated chair, I'd buy a giant fucking yoga ball. It's huge. It's easily three feet in diameter. It's supposed to help my posture, keep me from being so sore, and strengthen my core (whatever the fuck that is). And so far it's awesome. Except for yesterday when I was on a conference call, forgot that I was sitting on a ball, lifted my feet up and fell down, then made the excuse "just my ball" to everyone on the call. Now my legs don't hurt. Just my pride.

Posted by Chris at September 14, 2011 7:47 AM
Comments

OK, Chris. You've inspired me. I had a yoga ball as a chair a year or so ago, but had put it away as a gimmick. I just brought it back out and I'm giving it a whirl (so to speak).

With all the talk these days about how sitting all day long will kill you, I've been thinking about setting up a standing desk. However, I'm way to lazy to deal with that. Perhaps the ball will be a happy medium.

Posted by: SarrJk at September 14, 2011 9:17 AM

I understand about the soreness, and so does my heiney as it is suffering from the dreaded "secretary spread". I make myself get up about every hour or so and just walk around. Thanks so much for making me laugh out loud this morning, my podmates or as we like to jokingly refer to ourselves as the prairie dogs on the farm were looking at me like i was nutz.

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 14, 2011 9:17 AM

LOL!

I might have to think about pulling that yoga ball out of hiding and start using it! Not sure how that will go over at work though! ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at September 14, 2011 9:58 AM

We have a whole department here who sits on those things. They're like Shape-Ups for your upper body, I guess, since you have to be continually balancing. I'm a sloucher; I could probably benefit from one of those things. But then I couldn't nap at my desk.

Posted by: Brooke at September 14, 2011 11:15 AM

I'm glad the ball is working for you. My posture is atrocious, but trying a ball did nothing to help. As it turns out, I can easily slouch while sitting on a ball. I think the only thing that would help is an electric shock machine to remind me each time my posture slips.

Posted by: Tracy at September 14, 2011 11:28 AM

I have a ball to , it makes a difference , just wish I could use mine in the privacy of my own home , but the jokes are worth it !

Posted by: michelle at September 14, 2011 12:02 PM

BIG BALLS!

Posted by: Rex at September 14, 2011 12:42 PM

I used to have a big yoga ball but then it got a hole and went pffft. I should probably invest in a new one. Right now I just have a hard wooden chair and a post-it note that says, "Posture Check! =)" so I can remind myself to avoid backaches. :P

Posted by: Heather at September 14, 2011 1:24 PM

Love it. My sister in law works from home and has implemented a make-shift version of this: http://www.treadmill-desk.com/

Posted by: Amy at September 16, 2011 8:51 AM

damier azur canvas louis vuitton  monogram vernis louis vuitton    louis vuitton vernis bags

Posted by: dsf at September 17, 2011 2:58 AM

The NFL Jerseys Cheap are gems from this pure and innocent past, who would like to buy jerseys, I will help you find out some locations where you can buy in low pirce and high quality.Both online and in the physical walk-in sporting goods stores is good choice. Before you send your friend Authentic Nfl Jerseys,you must konw which team they like, which team player they love, so that you can choose the right numbert jerseys that They will like.So how to get these brands of these NFL Jerseys Wholesale in a cheap price has become a problem which has a good knowledge about the concept of content management on each and every industry.If they go with a quality manufacturer that is selling at the right price,Packers Jerseys should be more popular in all the store.

Posted by: youth jerseys at September 24, 2011 3:43 AM