September 6, 2011

Reopens On Memorial Day...

I'm always a tiny bit sad when the neighborhood pool closes. It looks so empty, all the chair and tables and umbrellas gone, the lifeguard chair empty, not a soul in sight. At 5:00 yesterday, the four of us went to the pool to say goodbye to the lifeguards we saw nearly every day.

I don't care what the calendar says. Summer is over.

I used to consider myself equitable where the seasons were concerned. I didn't have particularly strong feelings about any of them with the exception of winter which I was not fond of after 1996 left us shoveling our cars out of ice and snow for weeks. Now I'm pretty sure that - while I still don't hold anything against spring or fall - summer is my absolute favorite.

Mia starts first grade this morning. On Wednesday, Owen starts preschool. It's buckle-down time. Time for sensible bedtimes, good night sleeps, backpacks and lunchboxes. I will miss summer, particularly this one. I will miss Mia riding her two wheel bike, swimming like there's no tomorrow, becoming so independent, reading until all hours of the night. I will miss Owen - a.k.a. Captain America or Anakin Skywalker or Superman - showing us his muscles while fighting crime, taunting his sister, and bleaching his already-white hair in the summer sun.

It was a beautiful summer but, unlike the movie, certainly and unfortunately not an endless one.

And, like I said, I'm a little sad about that.

Posted by Chris at September 6, 2011 7:23 AM
Comments

I agree - when Labor Day hits (actually when school starts the week leading into Labor Day), summer's over. Just a feeling I get. We're not so anxious to get up to the lake for the weekend-tend to find things to do at home.
It is sad to see summer gone but it as a good one!

Posted by: NancyB at September 6, 2011 7:38 AM

I think no kids makes summer less of an important time. Glad that you all had such a good one!

Posted by: alektra at September 6, 2011 8:22 AM

Mia, is in FIRST GRADE!!!! Oh my heavens! I started to read your blog and Beth's when she was pregnant with Mia! Oh, I am getting old!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 6, 2011 8:37 AM

I hear, ya, Chris, even though school started for us almost two weeks ago, and our community pool is shared by the city and school district, so as soon as community swim ends, back into the pool go the HS water polo and swim/dive teams. Our pool is never alone.

I'm seasonally ecumenical, though. By now, I'm ready for summer to end and high school football to begin. Soccer season, lots of birthdays and lots of trips to Disneyland for us. Then winter, time for Ugg boots and tights and warm Levi jackets, and just when that is getting old, the weather warms up and it's perfect again and we wait for summer and its no-obligation evenings and family time. La dolce vita.

Posted by: Brooke at September 6, 2011 11:43 AM

even with fall being my favorite season of the year, there is something just so SAD about the end of summer! especially once your babies are in school! it's just been an emotional roller-coaster. i hope mia has a great day today. she is a shining little star :)

Posted by: kati at September 6, 2011 2:16 PM

Us as well. Amelia started 1st grade, the local pool was vacant, the halls where we spent the last two months dodging shoes and lunch bags from summer camp were silent, and I miss that. I miss staying up late with the kids having backyard bonfires while telling ghost stories or late night hide n seek. Each summer that passes I am acutely aware of the time that has passed and the changes the kids make. Amazingly happy yet a little sad at how quickly it all goes.

Posted by: shannon at September 7, 2011 12:11 AM