September 20, 2011

The Lanes

Mia went to a birthday party over the weekend. Despite the fact that it was a drop-off party, Beth, Owen and I decided to stay and bowl. Oddly, this was the same bowling alley that I frequented when I was in high school.

I was something of a mystery in high school. I didn't really fit into any social clique or category. Or, rather, I somehow fit into all of them. I dated a cheerleader but didn't play football; I hung out with the stoners but never smoked pot (nor did they, to be completely honest). I was a smart kid without an honor society to cling to and a school newspaper editor with a hot girlfriend. And I bowled. I even belonged to a league. We were basically a bunch of hair metal wannabes with long hair who somehow woke up early every Saturday morning and bowled three games. I did it for a couple of years. I'd wake up, hit the 7-11 for coffee and a pack of cigarettes, and meet the four guys on my team. We'd practice for 15 minutes then roll for real. We were actually pretty good. In between frames, we'd smoke, talk about the latest album by Faster Pussycat or Skid Row and shout hello from the gutter (an Overkill song) whenever someone flubbed a throw.

One of Mia's friend's dads dropped by to pick up his daughter. He was in the first class to go through what is now Mia's elementary school and now his daughter (and mine) goes. As it turns out, we both used to hang out here though he hung out a few years earlier.

Me: This place really hasn't changed a hell of a lot.
Him: No, it hasn't. What's amazing is that it still smells like cigarette smoke in here.
Me: Yeah, it's been, what, 10 years since you could smoke in here. Sadly, I think I contributed to a lot of that.
Him: Me too. Strange.

Mia had a great time at the party. Owen loved bowling. Beth hadn't bowled for years and neither had I. Of course, I only scored a 143 on my best game. A far cry from my 200+ high school games.

Some things change. Others don't.

Posted by Chris at September 20, 2011 7:25 AM
Comments

I bowled in high school too, although our league was on a weeknight so it was little more conducive to my teenage sleep schedule. We had a bowling team in college too, but we skipped the university lanes and joined a league with the townies. It was a bunch of teams comprised of guys from the local unions and lodges, plus our team. We measured our score in pitchers, not pins.

Posted by: COD at September 20, 2011 8:22 AM

I also bowled in high school, although our league was on a weeknight, so it was more agreeable to my teenage lifestyle. This was in Utah, so it was me and 3 Mormons. We also had a team in college, although we skipped the boring University lanes and bowled with the townies in a league full of teams from the local unions and lodges. We measured our score in pitchers instead of pins.

Posted by: COD at September 20, 2011 8:25 AM

My dear uncle taught all us kids to bowl. He was so sweet. I always liked bowling, but since doing in both shoulders, I find it rather painful.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 20, 2011 8:29 AM

A lot of people are crazy about the North Face Outlet Sale. The great characteristic of the ones at North Face Outlet is that you can wear the whole jacket in very cold days and take its fleece lining down in mild weather. Have a such amazing one from The North Face Outlet.

Posted by: North Face Outlet at September 23, 2011 2:57 AM

The NFL Jerseys Cheap are gems from this pure and innocent past, who would like to buy jerseys, I will help you find out some locations where you can buy in low pirce and high quality.Both online and in the physical walk-in sporting goods stores is good choice. Before you send your friend Authentic Nfl Jerseys,you must konw which team they like, which team player they love, so that you can choose the right numbert jerseys that They will like.So how to get these brands of these NFL Jerseys Wholesale in a cheap price has become a problem which has a good knowledge about the concept of content management on each and every industry.If they go with a quality manufacturer that is selling at the right price,Packers Jerseys should be more popular in all the store.

Posted by: youth jerseys at September 24, 2011 3:38 AM