September 7, 2011

The Office

I spend an increasing amount of time working from home. And that means working in a lightless basement. Not that I'm complaining. It's great. I have a fantastic commute, get to see the kids and can wear jeans...or forego pants altogether if I want to.

The guy that owned the house before us did a fantastic job with the basement. He finished it himself and hand-crafted a built in desk and set of cabinets into the main room. I used that area as my office for the past few years. But unfortunately it was the main traffic route between me and the washing machines and storage areas. It got a little busy. Plus it was right in the main room.

So I did a very uncharacteristically adult (and some would say stupid) thing - I converted my music room into an office. Yes, I admitted rockstar defeat and caved to The Man.

Yes, I have three computers...and yes I need all of them.

When we got back from the beach - and were bracing for hurricane Irene - we got a couple gallons of paint and painted the walls what the paint people call Elephant Gray. Last weekend we went to Ikea and got a desk and lighting. On Sunday I moved everything from one office to another. Yesterday I christened my office. (I wore pants.)

I still need a few things - art on the walls and maybe a nice rug. But so far I'm digging it. It's like my own little man cave. But for work. So, a The Man cave.

Posted by Chris at September 7, 2011 7:39 AM
Comments

I took advantage of Christmas clearance and nabbed some LED lightstrings. I draped one under the desk (helps a ton with foot placement vs wires) and made a fancyschmancy corner light with the other.

Posted by: Emily at September 7, 2011 8:33 AM

I bought some surplus equipment that the company was selling and now have a dock for the laptop and a dual screen setup. Just like at the office. It makes working from home so much easier and more productive. Unfortunately, in the Great Room Swap of 2011 at our house, I lost out in the office department. So, it is set up on the dining table. The room is not used much, so I don't have to move it around and is out of the main traffic area, but still not optimal.

Posted by: Karen at September 7, 2011 9:05 AM

FWIW, I too have an office at home, but within 10 minutes, I can totally transform it into the studio where I do my music recording. I just needed to find a good place for the speakers, hang the guitars on the wall in lieu of artwork (which by the way is pretty sweet), and stow the MIDI keyboard in the basement when not in use. You can have it all--just not all at once. :)

Posted by: Martin at September 7, 2011 9:35 AM

Looks good, Chris! May you be very (un) happy there! lol!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 7, 2011 12:45 PM

It looks lovely, but there's something about the phrase "The Man Cave" that sort of makes me want to weep a little bit, you know?

Posted by: Dawn at September 10, 2011 5:03 AM

Looks good! I have a similar setup. I've been talking about putting pictures and new paint on the walls for a year now though... it's time to just make time and do it. I'm sure you know how it goes... things done just for "me" usually come last.

Posted by: Brad at September 12, 2011 3:18 PM