September 23, 2011

The Weeklies #187

Yep, you can listen to it...or download it.

The Weekly Beer. Headwaters Pale Ale

The Weekly Music. It's Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary. To commemorate the event, they've made a movie which I honestly can't wait to see. It's soundtrack was released earlier this week. And what an odd collection it is. Instead of a standard best of collection, the soundtrack is chock full of oddities - audience-recorded early performances, demos, acoustic appearances, and instrumentals that would eventually become full-fledged songs. It wasn't what I was expecting; it was better - an insightful look at a great band.

The Weekly Musical Shocker. REM broke up. I'm not really sure why this was such a shock to everyone. I think I own almost every REM album but I don't consider myself a huge fan. I always felt as if I should like or respect REM but never really understood why. Sure, they made some great music and released some iconic songs. But will I really miss them? Probably not.

The Weekly Read. I'm a bad reader. I'm halfway through a murder mystery but seem to be falling asleep every night having read only a page...or maybe two if I'm lucky.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Did you see that Netflix - after raising prices - divided itself in half? They're keeping the Netflix name for their streaming service and calling their DVD rental business Quikster, which sounds like...well...I don't know but it doesn't sound good. It's a bizarre business move. The best business move, however, is by the owner of the Quikster Twitter handle. He's offering up the handle to the company which they better take him up on. Especially since Quikster's current avatar is a pot-smoking Elmo (seriously).

The Weekly Question. What's your favorite thing about fall? Besides drunk naked apple picking. (Come on, you know you've tried it.)

Posted by Chris at September 23, 2011 7:04 AM
Comments

I love that the weather is actually bearable now! Fall is my favorite season.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 23, 2011 8:40 AM

Warm days, cool night, colored leaves crunching underfoot, woodsmoke in the air, apple picking, football. Guess I can't really just pick one!

Posted by: J at September 23, 2011 9:03 AM

The weather, Halloween, Apple cider

Posted by: Kris at September 23, 2011 9:07 AM

Hubby and I owned an apple orchard and mostly we've seen people drive up half in the bag. Never naked. (thank goodness!)
For me the best part of Autumn are the leaves. The beautiful, colorful leaves, the crisp mountain air, and fresh tart apple!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 23, 2011 9:25 AM

Wait... REM was still together?

My favourite thing about fall is that my neighbour takes my kids & picks apples in her back yard (all fully clothed, as far as I've been able to tell - it's pretty cool out) and makes pies with them. Well, she makes the pies *together* with the kids, and the pies they make are *with* the apples. It's a misplaced modifier that works both ways. Except that nobody makes kid-pies. Some days, I'm tempted. And not just in fall. So far, I've resisted. They're kind of cute. The kids, not the apples. I am NOT drunk!

Posted by: harmzie at September 23, 2011 10:11 AM

Sitting around the firepit watching the flames flicker; good friends, cool air, and warm apple cider!

Posted by: Krush at September 23, 2011 12:30 PM

Fall is cooler temperatures, college football, my birthday, back to school, beautiful colors, and... the END OF SUMMER! (I hate hot weather!)

Posted by: Sarah at September 23, 2011 10:11 PM

The NFL Jerseys Cheap are gems from this pure and innocent past, who would like to buy jerseys, I will help you find out some locations where you can buy in low pirce and high quality.Both online and in the physical walk-in sporting goods stores is good choice. Before you send your friend Authentic Nfl Jerseys,you must konw which team they like, which team player they love, so that you can choose the right numbert jerseys that They will like.So how to get these brands of these NFL Jerseys Wholesale in a cheap price has become a problem which has a good knowledge about the concept of content management on each and every industry.If they go with a quality manufacturer that is selling at the right price,Packers Jerseys should be more popular in all the store.

Posted by: youth jerseys at September 24, 2011 3:30 AM

I love everything about fall, but mostly it's because my birthday is in October. But I do love the crisp air, the colors of the leaves, the apples and pumpkins, Halloween, sweaters, football...

Posted by: ironic1 at September 24, 2011 1:11 PM

Freaking spammers.

I LOVE THE AUDIOBLOG. I can't say it enough. Please continue, please please please.

My favorite thing about fall is Halloween, hands down. I don't know what I'm going to be this year, though.

Posted by: alektra at September 25, 2011 7:09 PM

You know Chris, I have something to say on the topic of Netflix and "Quickster"

It's bad enough that they began charging more to have both the streaming service and the DVD/Blue-Ray though the mail service. It used to be one and the same price to have both, and I am a longtime Netflix subscriber who is not pleased with the price increase.

But to now separate the services and ALSO charge more? Well, perhaps one might say "Yeah, but the economy is struggling and Netflix is forced to do this in order to stay afloat," right?

Wrong. Look at their 5 year stock price:

You can go to Yahoo Finance and look it up yourself - NFLX. This is pure, unadulterated corporate greed. They went from somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 per share to well over $200 for an extended period. That is a quadrupling of the company's valuation, over two year period that coincided with the worst recession since The Great Depression.

Now that the stock price is correcting to be more in line with reality, they're going to stick it to the consumers? Sounds like dirty pool to me.

As you were ... :)