September 16, 2011

The Weeklies #186

The Weekly Fact. It should have been Friday, like, three days ago, right?

The Weekly Thing That Costs Way More Than It Should. Cereal.

The Weekly Read. I recently finished a really interesting and slightly terrifying book, Inside Scientology by journalist Janet Reitman. Reitman began her quest with an article commissioned by Rolling Stone. It turned into a five year journey, trying to get to the bottom of the secretive religion. What she found was truly fascinating. Beyond Tom Cruise and John Travolta is a truly odd belief system rooted in the belief that extra terrestrials sprinkled their knowledge and life force throughout the universe allowing humans to pick them up after they'd achieved a certain amount of enlightenment through techniques such as auditing with special electronic devices called E-meters. And what kind of commitment is required from the subject? Money. Sheer volumes of cash. In fact progress in the religion is accelerated based on the amount of money you put into it.

The Weekly Awesomeness in Literature. My buddy Marshall is now a New York Times #1 Bestselling Author.

The Weekly Music. This will probably appeal to three of you. This week I downloaded and listened to the new Dream Theater album A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Sure I own all their albums but I was really interested in how they'd sound on their fist album since the departure of founding member and insanely awesome drummer Mike Portnoy (who I saw earlier this summer drumming for Neal Morse). With incredible drummer Mike Mangini on board after a well-publicized search, the band honestly sounds better than ever. Yes, the vocals are dated and sure the lyrics are often cheesy but the music is technically perfect.

The Weekly Joke. "They told me that my password had to be eight characters long. So I made it Snow White And The Seven Dwarves."

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Michaele Salahi - she of White House crasher and D.C. Housewives fame - got all kidnaped this week. Except it really wasn't a case of kidnapping. No, Michaele ran off with Journey guitarist Neal Schon. Really. You can't make this stuff up.

The Weekly Question. Speaking of Journey, what's your guiltiest musical pleasure?

Posted by Chris at September 16, 2011 7:18 AM
Comments

One hit wonders. Like The Pina Colado Song, Oh What a Lonely Boy, Midnight At The Oasis. You know singers that had one hit and disappeared. Seems I liked them.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 16, 2011 7:59 AM

Can I just laugh really hard because this woman's expose sounds like the South Park episode that caused Isaac Hayes to leave the show? I still remember the subtitle at the bottom "Scientologists really believe this. We are not making this up."

Posted by: alektra at September 16, 2011 8:12 AM

I probably should not admit this on the Internet, but I still have a crush on Debbie Gibson.

Posted by: COD at September 16, 2011 8:25 AM

Barry Manilow.

Posted by: J at September 16, 2011 8:32 AM

Cheesy '70s summer at the pool pop (like Maribeth's Pina Colada song) and of course, '80s hair bands.

Posted by: Heather at September 16, 2011 8:50 AM

I gotta go with Air Supply for guiltiest musical pleasure. That or The Carpenters. Oh God, should I have typed that?? ;)

Posted by: Claire at September 16, 2011 8:50 AM

off to download that book. Shit like that fascinates the crap out of me.

Posted by: alimartell at September 16, 2011 8:57 AM

My ex frequently told me my taste in music sucked, so I guess I have waaaaay too many "guilty" pleasures (except that I'm all about owning my music tastes so I don't feel guilty at all most of the time). But one that seems to make most people look at me like I have two heads is Neil Diamond (worse: one of my favourite films EVER is his version of The Jazz Singer, despite Laurence Olivier's heinous accent and the blacking up stuff at the beginning). I'm also quite a fan of The Carpenters...
I feel that, musically speaking, I'm pretty much a lost cause actually...

Posted by: Kirsty at September 16, 2011 9:07 AM

Thanks Maribeth...more music to download...

I'm with Maribeth - one hit wonders. Also, Barry Manilow, Peter Allen, show tunes in general and Glee. Oh, and yes, the Carpenters (feel better Claire? ;-) Oh, and can't forget the 80s hair bands...listened to one just the other day!

I'm pretty much all over the map with music, so completely get it!

Posted by: cyndy at September 16, 2011 10:51 AM

I guess, after that thing about Salahi, Journey is my guilty pleasure. Not really, though, since I don't like their new stuff and their old stuff is arguably good. 80's hair metal is my guilty pleasure, but I don't really feel guilty about it!

Posted by: Brooke at September 16, 2011 11:43 AM

ABBA, Barry Manilow and some old school rap.

Posted by: Kali at September 16, 2011 12:32 PM

I really think after writing Dianetics and what a big seller it was L. Ron Hubbard had to come up with something else to follow it and then began the journey into Scientology, very strange.

George Michael is my guiltiest musical pleasure. Don't judge.

Posted by: Dee at September 16, 2011 2:42 PM

Guilty pleasure in music: The Babys. Love 'em. Love the lead singer John Waite as well. I emailed him a question once, and got a handwritten response mailed to me! Who does that?

Speaking of Michaele Salahi/Neal Schon -- Six degrees of separation moment - Jonathan Cain was in The Babys with John Waite, and in Bad English with John Waite and Neal Schon. Jonathan Cain was in Journey with Neal Schon. Neal Schon and Michaele Salahi have 'run off' together.

Posted by: mmpotter at September 18, 2011 9:16 PM

The NFL Jerseys Cheap are gems from this pure and innocent past, who would like to buy jerseys, I will help you find out some locations where you can buy in low pirce and high quality.Both online and in the physical walk-in sporting goods stores is good choice. Before you send your friend Authentic Nfl Jerseys,you must konw which team they like, which team player they love, so that you can choose the right numbert jerseys that They will like.So how to get these brands of these NFL Jerseys Wholesale in a cheap price has become a problem which has a good knowledge about the concept of content management on each and every industry.If they go with a quality manufacturer that is selling at the right price,Packers Jerseys should be more popular in all the store.

Posted by: youth jerseys at September 24, 2011 3:41 AM