September 15, 2011

Celebrity Rehab

There's a level of superstar that I don't understand...or condone. You know the people, the ones who have riders in their contracts that demand five pounds of M&Ms in a crystal bowl with all the blue ones removed. And ten bottles of $500/bottle champagne chilled to 41.3 degrees at all times. The latest to blow her cover and prove that she's an asshole is Madonna. Apparently when she premiered her new film at the Toronto International Film Festival she wouldn't allow any of the great unwashed (a.k.a., the volunteers working the festival) to gaze at her.

eight of the volunteers were asked to turn their faces to a wall so that they would not look at the pop-star-turned-movie-director as she made her way to her press conference about the film. One volunteer told the Globe they all dutifully stood with their backs to her as she passed.

What's up with that?

I think it's that celebrities over time become so divorced from reality, so shielded from how people live and how people should behave that they virtually have no clue. So I propose Celebrity Rehabilitation Camps For The Stuck Up. In camp, they have to do things like the rest of us - wear clothes from Target, drink tap water, cook their own meals, drive compact cars and fly coach when they need to.

Regardless, Madonna's still an asshole.

Posted by Chris at September 15, 2011 7:56 AM
Comments

And yet there are celebrities who are totally cool.

Honestly, some people are dicks before they were famous. I have examples who are now stars in Hollywood from when I was in school. Conversely, there are super sweet people who remain the same. I posit Madonna was always a bitch, and she's just going with it.

Posted by: alektra at September 15, 2011 8:11 AM

The part that kills me about this story: they all complied with her insane demand! And it's not like they had jobs to protect; they were volunteers! Damn, have some self-respect. Celebrities (some of them, anyway) wouldn't act like such assholes if they didn't have so many people enabling them.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 15, 2011 9:12 AM

That Madonna's an asshole goes without debate. However, just to play devil's advocate, I read somewhere the whole M&M thing actually had some merit. It was about ensuring that the finer points of Van Halen's concert setup were followed to the letter for safety reasons. I think the idea was that if they got to their room and saw that the bowl of M&Ms contained the offending colour, it was a quick way to determine that their contract wasn't carefully read and ergo there may be other things with the setup they needed to be concerned about. Essentially, it was used as a canary in a coal mine. They never cancelled a show because of that, AFAIK.

Madonna though? Yeah. Asshole.

Posted by: Martin at September 15, 2011 9:27 AM

Yeah. She also made a rude comment about a gift someone gave her...she's not the nicest person, that's for sure. I agree about the "Celebrity Rehab camp for Snobs" Good idea. Make them have to line up sitters for their kids too, and have to clean their own houses...

Posted by: Effie at September 15, 2011 9:36 AM

Martin is correct -- that Van Halen story was told on This American Life some time back. He (and you) are also correct about Madonna.

Posted by: Karen at September 15, 2011 9:48 AM

Haha! I was coming to say the exact same thing Martin said! Although now I think a lot of people do it because they can and are assholes (just like Madonna!)

Posted by: ashley at September 15, 2011 10:15 AM

Word.

Posted by: Brooke at September 15, 2011 11:18 AM

Wow, this story's got legs. I live not far from Toronto and when I first heard this I believed it. Turns out we're all wrong. Even though I totally agree that Madonna is a snooty b*tch, it wasn't her that requested the employees to face the wall. It was some security people involved with TIFF, not her or her private security.

Posted by: Lisa at September 15, 2011 12:36 PM

Madonna is a bitch. And had I been a voluteered? I would have turned around, stared at her, stuck my tongue out at her, and walked out. Yep. Because I can be a bitch, too.

And then there are celebrities that rock. Like Robert Redford. Whom I've met. And got to spend an hour with. It's a good thing I was younger and so unnerved I was afraid of wetting myself. Because I'm afraid if I had an hour around him now, I'd try to seduce him. And yes, I know exactly how old he is, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: Mindy at September 15, 2011 1:35 PM

Not sure about Madonna.. but.. the M&M story makes a great deal more sense if you realize the rationale behind it. When a group sends a rider some of the items are very important and need to be in place to make the show work. The story behind removing certain M's was... if that wasn't taken care of.. then the band needed to immediately check to see if everything else was taken care of. But, if someone took the time to remove a color.. then they felt pretty confident that things like water bottles behind the amps were in place.
I would like to add a diva to the list that I will never listen to or watch again due to a personal experience, literally on a stage with her. ( lol.. not to name drop ) but Mariah Carey... never never again. She made me stretch to keep an audience amused for FOUR HOURS... then... after arriving and literally saying " Hi" to the crowd.. she left the stage .. to tidy up make-up. Needless to say... disgusting

Posted by: david at September 15, 2011 1:48 PM

And yet The Golden God of Rock, Robert Plant just moved to Austin and apologized to me for debating his choices for too long in the yogurt line at HEB.

Posted by: Kristen Grulke at September 15, 2011 5:07 PM

Madonna directing.....I could not get pass that, let alone anything that followed. I would volunteer for celebrity rehab, first and foremost no more fancy bottled water, You get Brita and a stainless steel bottle to wash and air dry for the next day. A**holes~

Posted by: Shannon at September 15, 2011 9:08 PM

The NFL Jerseys Cheap are gems from this pure and innocent past, who would like to buy jerseys, I will help you find out some locations where you can buy in low pirce and high quality.Both online and in the physical walk-in sporting goods stores is good choice. Before you send your friend Authentic Nfl Jerseys,you must konw which team they like, which team player they love, so that you can choose the right numbert jerseys that They will like.So how to get these brands of these NFL Jerseys Wholesale in a cheap price has become a problem which has a good knowledge about the concept of content management on each and every industry.If they go with a quality manufacturer that is selling at the right price,Packers Jerseys should be more popular in all the store.

Posted by: youth jerseys at September 24, 2011 3:42 AM