October 25, 2011

Branded

I get more product review offers than I do comments these days. I'm not exactly sure why that is. I'm not really comfortable with the idea of pitching stuff for the sake of pitching stuff. (Though if someone said Chris, please accept one of our exclusive private jets for review on your blog, I think I'd say sure.)

All these emails about all these products from companies I've never heard of (that's directed at you, random publishing house of science fiction erotica) got me thinking. How easily are you swayed from the brands you're loyal to?

Ask me to buy another non-Apple computer product or - god forbid - a phone that's not an iPhone and you'll get a big fat no. Ask me to play a guitar that's not a Fender and you'll get a similar response. I like specific types of beer, there's a certain hotel chain I'm fond of, and a grocery store I'd go out of my way to shop at but beyond that I'm pretty much a brand whore. I'll pretty much go with the best deal.

What's your degree of brand loyalty? And what does it take to change that?

Posted by Chris at October 25, 2011 7:38 AM
Comments

My husband bought Hunt's ketchup instead of Heinz once and I nearly divorced him. Guess I'm pretty brand loyal.

Posted by: Lisa at October 25, 2011 9:31 AM

science fiction erotica? As if the world couldn't get any stranger.

Posted by: Aaron at October 25, 2011 9:40 AM

You know, with economics getting so bad, I am tending to buy store brands.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 25, 2011 10:04 AM

Please don't think that no comment means no interest. Your site is great.
Brand Loyalty depends...Labels count for soup (Campbells), cookies (Oreos), cereal (store brands tend to be gross) pop (Pepsi only thanks) shampoo/cond. (Paul Mitchell).
I'm sure I'll thinks of others...

greenie

Posted by: greenie at October 25, 2011 10:11 AM

Wow, you just hit the nail on the head. I am in the retail business and this idea gets thrown out a lot. It is known as a "lovemark". Nearly everyone has their very own lovemark. For me its Coke, I will drink other soda, but when faced with a choice, Coke wins out every time. Once someone has a lovemark it is very hard to be swayed away from it. Most lovemarks stem from personal experiences with whatever they are loyal to. Its funny how people are brand loyal. If you ever want to read up about this (its very interesting), there is a book about it. :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 25, 2011 10:17 AM

Saying you're loyal to a brand is a bit like saying "I'm irrationally, emotionally tied to this name." I prefer to think that I'm loyal to good products. Like you, I have a favorite hotel chain because I know what to expect and I've never been disappointed. However, with beer I have a favorite taste and that's why I buy the same kind of beer every time. If someone came along and sold the exact same kind of beer for a dollar less, I'd buy that one. With cars, I care more about style and reliability than brand. I'm a chevy guy who has driven a dodge truck for the past 11 years because chevy didn't have any four-door trucks 11 years ago and dodge did. I build my own computers cheaply (no brand), but if someone offered me a new iMac for $300 I would snatch it up in a second. That's not happening.

I guess I'm not willing to pay for a name, but I am willing to pay for quality, and getting what I want.

Posted by: Brad at October 25, 2011 10:19 AM

I get a ton of review requests on my site http://daddybydefault.com, as well. Sometimes they're awesome and sometimes they're junk. I just got one for smokeless electric cigarettes. I'm not even sure I would know how to sell that, and if I did, is that something I would use myself or want my readers to use? That's always what I ask myself when i get these requests.

I certainly don't hate anyone for pitching me an idea, even if it doesn't fit. As long as they do it over email and not via phone-waste of my time.

As a side note, In response to Brad's comment, I don't think brand loyalty is irrational, especially when that brand has a great product and great customer service, like apple. However, it can become irrational if a superior product comes along and one refuses to purchase that product but still claims to make decisions based on non-subjective analysis - like price, features, customer service, etc.

Posted by: Daddy by Default at October 25, 2011 11:04 AM

I have to say I'm pretty loyal. I don't buy any kind of cactus except for the rude ones you sell here.

Posted by: Aaron at October 25, 2011 1:25 PM

brand loyal, guilty.

Posted by: kati at October 25, 2011 4:49 PM

Yeah, I'm mostly brand loyal though once in a while, particularly for necessities and household goods, price will win out.
If we're being honest, I'm afraid I don't comment as much because I miss the replies, and it feels less like a conversation and more like I'm speaking into the ether. (I know you're very busy and I don't hold it against you at all! But it just makes a difference in my level of engagement. I still read, but whether I click through and comment...)

Posted by: Heather at October 25, 2011 9:43 PM

With my finances currently so dire, any brand loyalty I may have had (never much, to be honest) has flown out the window. I go for what's cheapest-but-not-crap, meaning I don't buy food from the very bottom shelf, but store-brand stuff for just about everything I can. The same would be true also if I were to buy anything of an electronic nature (never owned an Apple anything so I guess I don't know what I'm missing, huh?!) or a car or clothes or whatever.
I really don't feel very loyal to brands, or very influenced by advertising to be honest, but I guess I am (both) more than I think; that's what advertising's all about, after all!

Posted by: Kirsty at October 25, 2011 9:47 PM

We have quite a few brands that we are loyal too. Cheese, soup, toilet paper, condiments, beer, etc. But, I do experiment every once in awhile. We really like Kroger Colby cheese in the big block for cheese and crackers occasionally. It is much cheaper than the smaller blocks of brand name cheese.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 26, 2011 12:44 PM

I'm loyal to certain products. And not so much with others.

I'll only use Dove Soap and Lubriderm Lotion. Period. End of story. And don't try to sneak in a bar of Target's brand of Dove Soap thinking I won't notice. I WILL.

With food stuff - I'm crazy over the top brand loyal because of my son's gluten allergies. Rice Chex is certified gluten free. The store brand? It's not. Prego is gluten free, and doesn't use any mystery "natural flavoring" or gluten containing food dyes. Amy's soups all of the way. No Campbells or Liptons and certainly no store brand there, either.

And coffee. I'm pretty snobbish about coffee. Yes, I can tell the difference between what I drink and Folgers. And forget the store brand, unless the store is Trader Joe's.

Posted by: Mindy at October 26, 2011 1:53 PM

I am very loyal to several brands: (Coke, Lancome, All Detergent, Marriott Hotels) but for the most part, if you're cheaper than the other guy, you have my business.

I am so guilty of not commenting like I used to. I find myself slammed with stuff to do and many of my favorite things, including reading/commenting on my favorite blogs, has fallen by the way-side. Rest assured, you're still the top of the heap when it comes to my personal blogroll, though!

Posted by: zanie at October 26, 2011 5:01 PM

It really depends on the product, how long I've been using it, and what the other options are. If I see something that seems like it might be genuinely better than what I'm using (and the loyalty is more out of habit than anything else), I'll give it a shot. But if I'm not convinced that it's going to be a superior product or experience? There's not much you can do to get me to try it. (Except maybe a giant pile of money. But I'll give it a half-hearted trial, take the money, and then go back to the stuff I know I like.)

Posted by: Dawn at October 28, 2011 5:20 PM