October 5, 2011

Fanboy

A TV that appears as if from nowhere? That's the dream! - Joey Tribbiani

Sometime over the last two years I turned into a fanboy. No, I'm not a Little Monster. I'm not hung up choosing sides over Twilight characters, Team Douchebag or Team Jackass. No, I'm an Apple fanboy. I know this because I woke up yesterday morning thinking yay, today's the Apple iPhone announcement! then eagerly awaited liveblog coverage of the event hitting refresh to catch all the details as they were announced.

Dork.

The reason? My iPhone. I bought it almost exactly two years ago, the very day after my previous contract expired. It was glorious. I mean, it's a phone, I realize that. But it exemplified what I always wanted a gadget to be. Two years later and I still love this phone...which is unbelievable because I used to go through cell phones at the rate of one every six months.

Two years later there are now seven Apple products in my house - two iPhones, an iPod Touch, a third generation iPod, an iPad, a MacBook Pro and Apple TV.

The news out of Cupertino was a bit of a mixed bag yesterday. No radically redesigned iPhone 5 but a souped up version of the existing handset. Of course the new camera looks pretty rad and the software the phone's running was pretty incredible. Am I going to run right out and pick up the new model? Probably not.

What's your most prized gadget past or present?

Posted by Chris at October 5, 2011 7:08 AM
Comments

I'm not *actually* an Apple person, per se, but I definitely love my ipod touch. Aover the past couple years I have grown less attached to technology but I love how I can use all the apps and have music but cannot be called while running. :)

Posted by: Claire at October 5, 2011 8:34 AM

My EVO/Android phone did the same for me a year and a half ago. I can't imagine how difficult things would be without it. We used to spend so much time talking about the calendar, schedules, trying to get in sync with each other and now we are in near-perfect harmony with all things Google. On a recent business trip, I video Skyped home to my kids at night and said goodnight to them. I just read three books on it in the past month (that's a lot for me) because, unlike books, my phone was always with me and so I read it in those little pockets of time when I'm waiting for someone or something. That is transcendent, man. It's not just the best gadget I have right now, it's the best gadget I've ever owned.

Posted by: Brad at October 5, 2011 9:42 AM

I'm pretty attached to my Nexus S actually. I've owned two or three previous Android phones but never had one that I really loved like I love this one. It's slick, the Super AMOLED display is outrageous, it fits in my pocket but has a giant screen, and best of all Steve Jobs doesn't get to tell me what applications I'm allowed to use on it.

Posted by: Aaron at October 5, 2011 9:53 AM

Uh, you just definitively answered that "Geek or Dork" question Beth brought up a while back!

My electronics are all out of date, but when I find a phone with a large enough screen that I don't need to dig out my reading glasses, I'm on it!

Posted by: Jaycie at October 5, 2011 10:52 AM

Welcome to the fold, brother. :) I am going to buy the new iPhone. It'll be my first iPhone ever, so I'm pretty pumped. This awful little HTC Hero's got to go. All the rest is Apple at my house too.

Posted by: Martin at October 5, 2011 11:51 AM

I don't have geek toys. I have a dumbphone and I'm good with that. I have a Sansa Clip+ mp3 player. I still have my old original Xbox which I sometimes even play still. However, my laptop, which I bought as a refurb for a steep discount because they had just released the new model in that line, is my baby. I love it to death, and it does everything I need it to. It pretty much rocks my world. :)

Posted by: Debra at October 5, 2011 4:35 PM

Without actually being a total Luddite, I have to admit that I barely own a single gadget (nothing Apple, anyway). No iPhone, iPod, iPad or whatever. No MP3 or MP4 players. I DO have a phone (a Samsung something or other), and I can get the internet on it, but seriously: that screen is TINY (compared to my laptop) so why on earth would I want to use it for internet? My phone is used as a) a phone and b) and alarm clock.
And, if I'm really honest, I'm more stoked (MUCH MORE STOKED) about the gorgeous Cath Kidston case I keep my phone in than the actual phone itself...
(check it out: http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-16461-cath-kidston-field-flowers-phone-case.aspx).
I've never owned a single Apple product, and likely never will because they're too damn expensive (did you know that the iPad costs about $250 MORE here in France than in the US? It's almost worth flying to the US to buy one...). And my ex had an Apple computer (the big flat screen thing with no visible hard drive) and we both HATED it.
OK, the anti-geek is signing off now! (It'll come as no surprise, I suspect, that I also loathe Star Wars and Dr Who...!)

Posted by: Kirsty at October 5, 2011 4:38 PM

Given today's sad news, was the announcement timed purposely or coincidentally?

I just bought my first smartphone - not an iphone because I didn't want to be a fanboy! I saved some money and went HTC and I'm 95% happy.

We have an imac, and ipod (5th) and I use a macbook that is 4 years old, I should have turned it in but like to say that 'they' can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

I'm such a fanboy.

Posted by: Heather at October 5, 2011 8:58 PM

I have an iPhone 3Gs and I was kind of stoked about the 5 but then it didn't turn out to be a 5, and then, I'm broke anyway, so, I guess I won't get one ;) I also have a 4ish year old MacBook and look longingly at the MacBook Pros ;) I want more processing speed and a bigger hard drive. BUT. I love what I have and I'm pretty darn lucky in the grand scheme of things. Oh, and I have an iPod touch that I never use anymore because I just use my phone. That's a little sad. :P Oh, and a verry old (B&W screen) 3rd? gen iPod. In a box, somewhere.

Posted by: Heather at October 7, 2011 5:15 PM