October 4, 2011

Prediction

I realize that there's a shitload (because every political analysis should include the word shitload) of time between now and the 2012 presidential election. But I have a prediction to make: Next November President Obama will duke it out with Mitt Romney and will squeak out a win with far fewer electoral votes than the 365 he finished with last year.

I don't know why but so far I've managed to watch two Republican debates. I've got to admit, I feel for you Republicans. You don't have a lot of good choices.

Bachmann couldn't lead her country out of a paper bag much less a war or financial crisis. Perry is an inexperienced loose cannon who I guarantee will self-destruct. You remember what happened the last time we elected a Texas governor, right? Cain seems reasonable but, while he generates a little buzz every now and then, it's not sustained. Paul makes sense but he's got as much chance of winning as my left testicle (and I'm pretty sure testicles can't even run). And god forbid Palin enters the race. At that point, the whole Republican race becomes a three ring circus. The only candidate who I think has a chance is Romney. But for god sakes his name is Mitt. (Actually his name is Willard so I supposed Mitt is slightly better.)

Of course, we Democrats have fewer choices.

What do you think is going to happen?

Posted by Chris at October 4, 2011 8:09 AM
Comments

I try not to think about it. Too depressing.

Posted by: beth anne at October 4, 2011 8:39 AM

When election time comes up, I always wonder if its possible to somehow find the one person in the country who has the skills to lead us, but doesn't want the job, and vote that person in. Wanting the power, glory, being on a crusade to fix what the last guy broke, etc. automatically disqualifies you.

Posted by: J at October 4, 2011 8:50 AM

Hey, what about Hilary Clinton? She should throw down the gauntlet! I like her so much more than Obama!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 4, 2011 9:39 AM

Last week my 17 year old son commented that he was hoping for better choices when he gets to start voting next year.

To which I replied, get used to it.

I can't imagine a sitting President that presided over this crappy of an economy getting re-elected. But I also can't see any of the clowns competing for the Republican nomination getting elected either.

Really, I believe Congress is completely broken, and until that is fixed, it doesn't matter who is President. The people with all the money (the corporations) are the ones really running this country, and both parties are equally guilty on the corporate influence issue.

Posted by: COD at October 4, 2011 9:45 AM

We elected our *very* conservative Prime Minister in the last election (4 federal elections in 7 years... *tears hair out*) with just under 40% of the popular vote. Yay for confusing electoral systems. Of course we've also elected liberal Prime Ministers with similar percentages, so I guess every party gets their day in the sun.

I feel for Americans. I so wanted Obama to kick a$$ as president, but I fear he's been an uninspired leader. As one NYTimes editorial put it, he forgot how to tell stories and relate to the average American person.

I wonder now if (as mentioned above) Hillary would've been a better choice...

Posted by: Mandy at October 4, 2011 10:48 AM

Somewhere along the way, Obama lost his balls. He's pretty disappointing, although a better choice than any of the Republican pyscho's, er candidates. I agree with COD that it's our Congress that needs to be fixed. We need to take Big Business out of running our country http://www.stoppoliticalads.com/

Until then we are at the mercy of Wall Street, no matter how long or hard we protest in the streets.

And I do think Hillary has bigger balls than Obama. She may have done a better job..guess we'll never know.

Posted by: Lisa at October 4, 2011 10:58 AM

I consider it a real concern that whoever "wins" the R nomination will lose their minds and pick that nitwit Palin as VP. Whatever sane people think, there are those who will vote for her and that is all the machine cares about is getting those votes. She is being "silent but deadly" for a reason. Can you tell I can't stand that troll?

Posted by: greenie at October 4, 2011 1:00 PM

For the first time since I've been able to vote, I don't give a damn.

I can't find it in myself to care one single iota.

I don't think it matters what president is in. They are all just puppets of the corporations that really run this country.

I'd rather talk about a revolution than the presidency.

Posted by: Mindy at October 4, 2011 2:14 PM

The good news is that all of this "Will they or won't they run" crap will be over soon. The filing deadline in NH is this month.

Once that passes, the GOP can proceed to pick the person who's going to lose next Nov. 6. Unless it's Mitt, he'll have a fraction of a chance.

Posted by: Foggy Dew at October 4, 2011 3:33 PM

I am politically conservative and I could not be more disappointed in the choices before me. I like Perry on many issues, but he has shown he can't keep his mouth shut. I fear it will be Mitt that gets the nomination, because republicans love to choose "the next guy in line". Plus, he has been running since 2006, so some people I am sure are just used to him. But, I hate Romney as a presidential candidate and was hoping someone would break out of the pack. I hope if/when he gets the nomination, he chooses Marco Rubio as VP. That would pretty much seal up the win.
But, I agree with other posters, it does not matter as much who the president is unless we seriously fix the congress (and pull back on the Supreme Court's power). There is too much ruling from the bench, which needs to stop.

Posted by: Tess at October 5, 2011 1:37 AM

I can barely stand to read their soundbites on occasion. This is a nutty bunch of candidates. I'm not watching their debates.

Palin disturbs me on so many levels. I hope she is not picked as VP.

I am quite disappointed in Obama, he is not at all governing as I expected him too, nor is he much for standing and fighting for much of anything. The economy is a disaster, so I feel anything could happen. People are pissed. But, I feel things would have been much, much worse if the GOP were in the White House instead of Obama.

Nor do I feel there was an easy fix for the economy. At the end of the day, I feel too many Americans live beyond their means and their suffering has contributed to the pain and overwhelming bitterness that so many have towards Obama. When the economy goes south, they have everything to loose and little to fall back on.

Hillary was my first choice. I wonder if she would have done better or if the GOP would have dogged her the whole time, had she been elected instead.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 5, 2011 8:03 AM

I have no idea what's going to happen. Of all the candidates, I like Cain the best right now because he seems so down to earth, though he has yet to be fully vetted. He has a good resume for taking failure companies and turning them into successes, so maybe he'd be able to help the economy.
I cannot get behind Rick Perry, though it sounds like now that the dust of his explosive entry is settling, the rest of the country is starting to have the same concerns I have about him. Romney is... well he's just Romney. He's not exciting or inspiring. He's just ... a guy, who is a little boring, has been around for a while, and happens to look presidential. Bachmann annoys the hell out of me, and for some reason I just can't take Newt Gingrich seriously.

Posted by: Amy at October 8, 2011 8:57 AM