October 3, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

A question: Do any of you have any clue as to when it will stop raining here in the greater Monkeytown area?

It's been raining non-stop for a year. Okay, maybe not a year but it has been raining for the better part of a month and it feels like an eternity. It's making me grumpy. I'd like it to stop. It's fall and the grass is growing the way it does in mid-summer. You can't walk anywhere without your shoes finding mud and everywhere you step is sloshy. I'm pretty sure the woods behind our house are turning into rain forest. I swear I saw a toucan back there yesterday.

People of the Pacific Northwest - is this what your lives are like? I always thought I belonged up your way but I'm afraid I've learned I'm not cut out for it.

Posted by Chris at October 3, 2011 7:22 AM
Comments

I'm with you on this! We're getting the same horrible weather here in New Hampshire 6 inches of rain yesterday alone!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 3, 2011 8:30 AM

So after living in some cities like Pittsburgh, I have to say I didn't think this was a lot of rain. I was actually thinking this must be normal for this time of year and a bit of inconvenience for someone who doesn't have a car (like me).

I'm more upset that it's freaking COLD.

Posted by: alektra at October 3, 2011 8:47 AM

All I can tell you is that I've spent many years in both Pittsburgh and Seattle (I'm in Pittsburgh now) and I delight at how much less rain and grey skies there are here than there were in Seattle. So if this weather isn't your cup of tea, don't move out there. You could get the SAD. (Seasonal Affective Disorder, in case that wasn't clear.)

Posted by: Erin at October 3, 2011 9:28 AM

This is what you need. Snap this sucker onto your hat and it will be like Miami beach, 24/7:

Posted by: J at October 3, 2011 10:35 AM

Oh noes! It's the ARkSTORM!!!! (I watched too much Curiosity.)

Posted by: oakley at October 3, 2011 10:56 AM

It's supposed to rain here...on Wednesday. But that probably won't continue through Thursday.

Posted by: Brooke at October 3, 2011 12:00 PM

Being in the desert, I always welcome the rain.

While I love the rain, I can't deal with the grey days. I start to get twitchy and angry and sad. All at the same time.

Hoping you get some sun!

Posted by: Mindy at October 3, 2011 1:38 PM

Sounds like it might be time to move here to the south of France - it's still summer here, but not the sweat-rolling-off-you-even-when-you-don't-move type of summer, more the gloriously sunny, hot enough type of summer (T-shirts, bare legs, even at 8 pm...). No sign of autumn here yet at all (for which I am extremely grateful; this, right now, is just about perfect!). My daughter swam in the sea this weekend!

Posted by: Kirsty at October 3, 2011 4:41 PM

YES! Gray, damp, muddy: Seattle and surrounding areas. Glad someone else is feeling how we do! It's the gray that's a killer, we need some sunshine around these parts.

Posted by: Dianna at October 3, 2011 4:53 PM

We have very short days in winter and it does get pretty gray (but no worse than, say, Cleveland), but we almost never get pouring rain. More like an aggressive drizzle. So it's not that everything's soaked, it's more like it's just always sort of damp. Which I don't find to be all that horrible, really. (The lack of daylight in the winter gets me more than the weather does, really.)

Posted by: Dawn at October 3, 2011 9:39 PM

I wish I had the power to send the rain to the horn of Africa :(

Posted by: Heather at October 5, 2011 1:27 AM

That's what it was like last summer in Alaska. And now we've moved back to Texas for a record-breaking hot & dry summer. I never thought I'd WISH for a rainy day. Send it here!

Posted by: Amy at October 8, 2011 8:50 AM