October 20, 2011

The Politics of Reply All

Have you ever gotten one of those global messages that goes to everyone under the sun and then some bastard has the nerve to reply all and say something totally unhelpful or insipid to everyone under the sun then some other asshat replies all and tells everyone else not to reply all after which a whole legion of asshats come out of the woodwork to offer helpful words of wisdom like "yeah" and then some other asshat replies all and says something like don't you know when you reply all you're flooding everyone's mailbox not realizing that by replying all to tell everyone not to reply all he just flooded everyone's inbox igniting the wrath of a handful of dedicated few who will choose to point out exactly what this asshat did by replying all to everyone in the process.

Yeah, I hate that.

(I'm also not fond of people who try to pass off one really long sentence as a blog post but that's a topic for a different day.)

Posted by Chris at October 20, 2011 6:22 AM
Comments

I do hate that. And...my husband does that to me all the time! Grrrrr!!!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 20, 2011 9:20 AM

Just to be a smartass, I was going to hit "reply all" to your post, but I couldn't figure out how to reply to the entire Internet.

Posted by: J at October 20, 2011 12:12 PM

My office houses the department that administers company spending cards. Monthly, the card admins send out a mass email reminding everyone to reallocate any charges to the desired accounting. One month, a guy replied all to this email telling the admin (and pretty much the rest of the company) that these monthly emails were stupid and useless and he was tired of getting them, etc. My CFO ranted up and down for an hour about taking his card away and making him apologize to the admin. Awkward.

Posted by: Brooke at October 20, 2011 12:30 PM

LOL on the parenthetical statement! Thanks for the giggle today.

Posted by: Krush at October 20, 2011 12:57 PM

That's one nice thing about my job. Only so many people have the chutzpah to reply all...

Posted by: alektra at October 20, 2011 8:55 PM

yes I do and lets not forget the ones that say " take me off your email chain " , when really if everyone would just shut the heck up it would solve the problem !But, ya know, we also like to have meetings to schdule meetings !

Posted by: michelle at October 21, 2011 12:40 PM

J'ai pensé qu'il allait y avoir une certaine message ennuyeux, mais c'est vraiment compensé pour mon temps. Je vais poster un lien vers cette page sur mon blog. Je suis sûr que mes visiteurs trouveront que très utile8654

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:35 AM