October 7, 2011

The Weeklies #189

The Weekly Beer. Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA.

The Weekly Awesomeness. I love that the marching band from the high school behind my house has taken up playing Back in Black and Born This Way.

The Weekly Read. I'm most of the way through a book that I've absolutely devoured. But I'm not quite ready to talk about it yet. Hold yourselves in readiness.

The Weekly Music. I joked last week about the Metallica + Lou Reed project and how absolutely horrid it sounded. Apparently I'm not alone. Here are some quotes from fans about the single:
- "What the hell is this a joke?"
- "Think twice about releasing this album."
- "What were they thinking?"
- "I had to give it one star but in actuality it deserves no more than zero stars."
- "Worst. Song. Ever."
- "Love Metallica and Lou Reed is a beast in his own right...but seriously...this was not a good idea."
- "There are no words to describe how awful this sounds. Are you kidding me? You couldn't pay me to listen to this again."
- "They should have called this album Killing Our Careers."

I believe you get the picture.

The Weekly Other Shitty Music (Or, Oh How The Mighty Have Fallen). Check out the Guns N' Roses performance of Welcome To The Jungle from the Rock In Rio 2011 show. You'll realize in the first five seconds that they suck but hang in until minute 2:10 when you can see the impacts of performing a guitar solo with a stormtrooper helmet on. Hint: it's not good.

The Weekly Sadness. Steve Jobs. I'm still sad about it.

The Weekly Show I Don't Want To Like But Do. X Factor.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Oh Hank Williams. You didn't think you'd just casually compare Obama to Hitler and not suffer some consequences, did you? Normally the best I could imagine ESPN doing as punishment was making someone sit through a 1982 Oilers game but they chose to fire his ass instead. Baseball season is almost over. Basketball doesn't seem like Hank's kind of sport. Are you ready for some table tennis has a nice ring to it.

The Weekly Question From Owen. Owen has quite a list including how does the Hulk get out of carbonite and many other musings about superheroes. You should just listen for yourself...download or listen below.

Posted by Chris at October 7, 2011 8:14 AM
Comments

Hi Owen - have a great weekend!!!

Posted by: Dawn at October 7, 2011 8:38 AM

I'm elated that X Factor is the show you don't want to like but do. I don't want to like it either, but I do. I'm in love with Rachel Crow.

Posted by: Emily at October 7, 2011 9:00 AM

How does the Hulk get out of carbonite? Two words: Hulk smash!

Posted by: Drew at October 7, 2011 9:10 AM

I've never seen X Factor. But I do like "Person of Interest".
Owen has the cutest voice. Ask him who would win, the Hulk or Jaba the Hut?

Posted by: Maribeth at October 7, 2011 9:45 AM

I have another book recommendation for you: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. I love this guy! I'm kind of hung up on not-so-distant-future post-environmental apocalypse stuff at the moment.

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 7, 2011 9:48 AM

My stepson's marching band plays some wierd-ass original composition that is not at all suited for stadiums. It includes lots of marching, though. It also includes a soprano sax solo that cannot be heard. And set pieces. It's all very strange.

My husband's marching band director chose "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" for their band. Wrap your head around that. You lucked out with AC/DC and Gaga.

Posted by: Brooke at October 7, 2011 12:08 PM

We've got a football stadium that we can see from the front yard. I also like hearing the songs from the bands, and have come to realize that they play the same stuff that I did 20 years ago.

Axl Rose - was he hiding an extra 30 lbs under that yellow coat? He sounded out of breath for most of that song.

Posted by: Rex at October 7, 2011 1:36 PM

Hi Owen! I love that you're Batman. :)

Posted by: oakley at October 7, 2011 2:58 PM

CC! Know your regular readers! The Oilers were awesome in 82! Wayne Gretzky is the hero of my generation!

(Does the typeface bring through the teasing? I hope so)

Posted by: Heather at October 7, 2011 8:14 PM

That was absolutely adorable and kick-ass at the same time!

Posted by: Hannah at October 8, 2011 4:38 AM

Cutest. Thing. Ever.

Posted by: Kris at October 8, 2011 9:58 AM

So adorable! Have you read the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R. R. Martin? I'm still on book 1, and I watched the series based off the books as well - loving it so far, very well written.

Posted by: Delia at October 9, 2011 2:36 PM

Does Owen have the game Hulk Smash?
If not, get it for Christmas. It's all kinds of awesome! :-) Just ask my boys.

Posted by: Tera at October 10, 2011 8:22 AM