October 14, 2011

The Weeklies #190

You can listen to it, read it or download it.

The Weekly Beer. Any.

The Weekly Event. I'm having a vasectomy! Today!

The Weekly Read. Mira Grant's Feed is a fantastic, five star book. I'm no zombie superfan but I've read my fair share of zombie novels and Feed blew them all away. In 600 pages, Grant developed a plausible cause of zombidom, populated a world with detail and character, and turned a stale idea fresh. If you're up for a tale of blogging, zombies, political intrigue and friendship, this is for you. If you're not, well, it's not.

The Weekly Event, Revisited. I mentioned the vasectomy, right?

The Weekly Music. I love Peter Gabriel. But Gabriel is a little reclusive when it comes to releasing new music. Which is a shame. Last year, he released Scratch My Back, an album of covers consisting of nothing but an orchestra and Gabriel's incredible voice. It was a mixed bag but there was some great material on it. A year later, Gabriel is back with New Blood in which he reworks his own songs over the same great orchestration that made Scratch My Back so interesting. Does it work? Mostly. Some songs - Wallflower, Family Snapshot, In Your Eyes - really benefit from the reworking (not that they weren't good to begin with). Others do not. Sure, I wish Gabriel would record some new music. And I'd like it if he relied less on his daughter, Melanie, to sing backup. She's just not a great vocalist. But this'll do. For now.

The Weekly Son Of The Weekly Event. Okay, so I'm a little obsessed with the vasectomy. How could I not be? After all, some dude I don't know is going to take a sharp object to my balls. It's hard not to obsess about that.

The Weekly Question. Who's having a vasectomy? Me!

UPDATE: I'm home. Me and my balls are fine.

Posted by Chris at October 14, 2011 8:21 AM
Comments

Frozen Peas...bags of frozen peas are what I've been told makes it all feel better after said procedure. However, since I don't have those parts, I can't verify it personally.

Just think happy thoughts, and it will be over soon :)

Posted by: Kellie at October 14, 2011 8:33 AM

Hey, if you have an overall good experience (if one CAN have a good experience :) ) with the big V, you should tell my husband it's OK. Because he's scared to death!

Posted by: Claire at October 14, 2011 8:43 AM

Good luck w/ the slicing of your balls!

Posted by: Kris at October 14, 2011 8:54 AM

Ditto what Claire said and good luck.

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 14, 2011 9:04 AM

two...um, thumbs up! to successfully emptying the dishwasher! clean dishes for the rest of your life! :)

(it'll be fine. you can even talk to the doctor while he's workin'. just don't discuss sports, religion, or politics...YIKES!)

Posted by: RzDrms at October 14, 2011 9:33 AM

Good luck!

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 14, 2011 9:39 AM

Good Luck! You'll be fine, I'm sure! ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at October 14, 2011 9:40 AM

Oh man, the vasectomy thing, makes me hurt and I'm a girl! Good luck, and let Beth spoil you after your procedure!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 14, 2011 9:49 AM

Good luck and lots of frozen peas and sweat pants!

Posted by: bacioni at October 14, 2011 9:56 AM

Congratulations for being a strong man and taking that on. I can only imagine how tough a hurdle it is to get through, but it *will* pass!!

Some men (including some that I know) are too macho (or something) to do that, but the reality is that is it much less of a procedure and recovery than for the woman in the couple to have her tubes tied.

Again, congratulations on being a strong, caring man for your wife and family!

You Rock!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at October 14, 2011 9:58 AM

Hey, good luck. I'm headed for one of those in a couple of years myself. I'd like to know your opinion afterward, and a couple of weeks afterward too.

Posted by: Brad at October 14, 2011 10:02 AM

Good to know about the new PG album. I thought Scratch My Back was inconsistent - psyched to check out this one, though IYE was pretty perfect to start from. Good luck with the snip.

Posted by: Gayle at October 14, 2011 10:10 AM

Frozen peas, sweatpants AND just lay (lie?) around on the couch this weekend. Seriously.

Posted by: NancyB at October 14, 2011 10:24 AM

Welcome to the V-Club!

Posted by: James Proffitt at October 14, 2011 10:25 AM

Feed was my favorite book that I read last year. I totally loved it. The follow up is good, although I didn't love it quite as much. I do think it set the stage for a very good third and final book in the series.

Good luck with the vasectomy.

Posted by: Hillary at October 14, 2011 10:26 AM

Good luck today. My husband has volunteered to do this but hasn't done it yet.

Posted by: Brooke at October 14, 2011 11:33 AM

WHOO HOO on the vasectomy. My lover had one, and my ex-husband had one (that I 'nursed' him through) and they both did just fine.

Posted by: Mindy at October 14, 2011 12:14 PM

Your podcasts are getting more funny. I don't listen every week, but I'm glad I did this week.

+1 for adding the Darth Vader theme and good luck!

Also - buying Feed. Thank you for the tip!

Posted by: Hannah at October 14, 2011 12:16 PM

My husband had a vasectomy a couple of years ago. His favorite part was the valium they gave him beforehand. He was absolutely fine in two days. NO problems. I hope yours goes as well. The hardest part is keeping the kids from jumping in your lap.

Posted by: Annie at October 14, 2011 12:24 PM

Good luck!

Posted by: Katherine at October 14, 2011 12:29 PM

The scalpel was not bad at all. The crappiest part of that surgery was the needle that numbed everything beforehand.

Posted by: Rex at October 14, 2011 12:47 PM

OMG I never listened to a Friday download before - you have an actual voice!
Love love Peter Gabriel and love orchestras. The two together is like peanut butter and chocolate! I might just look into that and listen to the previews on ITunes.

Posted by: NancyB at October 14, 2011 2:00 PM

Frozen peas is the way to go.
Cannot wait to hear your story !
You'll be fine

Posted by: Annie at October 14, 2011 4:08 PM

Thank you for making me laugh. I had a REALLY long week, and the weekends are going to continue to really just be week extensions and thank you again.

Posted by: alektra at October 14, 2011 6:24 PM

ah the vasectomy, so worth it. Just make sure you actually go back and make sure your pipes are clean with no swimmers left behind. Beth might be upset. ;-)

Posted by: Kami at October 14, 2011 8:11 PM

I hope you're recovery nicely. My husband had a vasectomy almost 2 years ago, and I remember him arriving home after all the followups and samples had been delivered. The doctor told him it was the best of all possible results and that the chance of me getting pregnant was now only 1 in 4000. FOUR THOUSAND? I wanted that number to be a whole lot closer to four BILLION, doc.

Posted by: Carmen at October 17, 2011 1:14 AM

For some reason, I thought you'd already had the snip. It might've been Beth writing something involving a threat to give a vasectomy if you didn't stop/start doing something or other. It's hard to say. Women. Y'know.

Anyhoodle, this is to virtually high five you again for Opeth and Steven Wilson. I've been listening to them both a lot and they were good the first time, but have actually gotten better since. I do, however, hope that 'ol Steven's in some flavor of therapy. Dude's a little dark.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at October 17, 2011 3:16 PM