November 15, 2011

Rolling Bones

In celebration of Beth's birthday, we did something odd on Saturday night - we ate bad Vietnamese food and went gambling. Now, to be clear it wasn't our intent to eat crappy Vietnamese food. We hit a local restaurant we'd never tried, the food was sub-par and we won't be going back. But we went gambling on purpose.

We live in Northern Virginia which is right at the cross roads of any number of states - Pennsylvania, Maryland, Deleware, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. And gambling is totally legal in West Virginia. We've both lived around here for a good long time but neither of us had ever made it to Charles Town in which the largest casino and horse track is located. So we remedied that.

After our shitty Vietnamese dinner, we pointed the car to Charles Town in anticipation of a highly-ironic and tacky evening. We weren't disappointed. Charles Town's Hollywood Casino is essentially a gigantic warehouse. A nicely appointed warehouse, sure, but still a warehouse. It's a smoky (yes, you can still smoke inside in West Virginia) maze of restaurants - from a food court (which was honestly the nicest food court I've ever seen) to upscale steakhouses - and themes and games and bars. It sports more slot machines than I've ever seen in one place (and that includes Vegas) and there are pockets of table games all over the place. We tried our hands at the slots (that sounds dirty) but lost everything we had. We had only slightly better luck at roulette but we eventually walked away empty handed. But it was more fun to watch the people anyway.

It was a diverse crowd. On one hand you had back-woods West Virginia residents who seemed as if they came with their paycheck every week. On the other was the DC contingent, the people like us who drove over the mountains from the Washington area to see what was going on and lay some money down. It was a hell of a mix.

We were done after a couple of hours, having had enough irony for one evening. So we drove home, relieved Beth's parents who'd been kind enough to hang out and get the kids to bed, and had a couple of beers. There's no irony in beer.

Posted by Chris at November 15, 2011 7:34 AM
Comments

About a bazillion years ago, Andy and I went to a casino on St. Maarten. I won back our entire airfare at the blackjack table!

Posted by: Karen at November 15, 2011 8:06 AM

This has nothing to do with today's post. But I thought I should tell you that, for the record, I've read faithfully for years. I don't even know when I started reading your blog, but it's been years. Since Mia was just little and new, but not pre-Mia. And I love it. And I wait every day for your post. And I am at work before your post hits, so I just chuckle when you "cry" about early mornings.

And, I'm dying to know how the kitchen reno is going. Did you start it? is it going? have you decided to scrap it? Or is it done already? I want to know what you decided on, after all those comments, suggestions, and warnings! So tomorrow (or sometime soon) should be all about the reno.

Posted by: punkinnoodle at November 15, 2011 9:55 AM

Sounds fun, except for the bad food part.

The only casino I've ever been to was on a cruise ship. I felt queasy pretty much the whole trip and the casino was the only place on the ship where I couldn't feel the motion. I think they did that on purpose, because I spent a lot of time in there. I won enough playing video poker to buy myself a nice gold bracelet.

Posted by: Tracy at November 15, 2011 9:56 AM

Wow, and I was gonna ask if you made celebratory alfredo?
What a night! Now I want to know about the kitchen re-do too. What did u guys decide??

Posted by: niki at November 15, 2011 10:42 AM

If "There's no irony in beer" doesn't belong on a T-shirt, I don't know what does.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 17, 2011 9:35 AM

Belated b-day wishes to Beth! My husband gets itchy to play slots a couple of times a year...so we head out there... We go to a couple of wineries (for me - yay!) along the way, have some dinner and then I plunk myself down with my Kindle in that fancy food court with a latter and I'm good! He doesn't usually win much if anything, but he gets it out of his system :)

Posted by: Sue R at November 18, 2011 10:11 AM