November 22, 2011

Thankful Trees

Every year Mia makes us all cut out leaves and trees out of colored paper. Every Thanksgiving before we devour our Thanksgiving dinner, we break them out and write what we're thankful for on each leaf. Then we glue them to our trees. They're our Thankful Trees.

I've decided that I shouldn't be caught without a few ideas in my back pocket on Thursday. I've come up with a list.

I'm thankful for:

Beer. Yeah, I sure do like beer. You can have your wine, fancy drinks with umbrellas and medicinal brown drinks that taste like you did something bad to deserve drinking something so awful and give me beer any day.

Music. Life would suck without music. And it would be a whole lot quieter. I'm especially thankful for insanely long progressive rock pieces that would drive most of you insane and give you ample cause to doubt my musical tastes. But I like it all, or at least most of it - old-fashioned rock and roll, British invasion, art-pop, arena rock, 80's guilty pleasures, power ballads and metal. Give me a world with shitty music over a world with no music any day.

Books. Music and books go hand in hand...not literally because I can't really read and listen to music at the same time. Maybe I'm just not bright enough to do both simultaneously. Books - in their electronic or old-school paper form - are pretty awesome. Imagine, there's this little thing that you can become completely and utterly lost in. The power is amazing. Give me a book and a quiet room and I'm a happy guy.

Technology. Our wired world is a little overwhelming. We're probably all too connected and one day we'll figure out the balance. But even though we're a generation with noses buried in cell phones, it's a pretty awesome time to be alive. And I can only imagine what technology will bring five or ten years down the road.

A job. Speaking of technology, I wouldn't have a good job without it. Not everyone has a job right now. I'm thankful for mine and the quality of life it affords me and my family.

America. I'm a little cynical when it comes to our country and politics but I have absolutely no doubt that this is the greatest country in the world. I could have been born a citizen of any corner of the globe but I was born a citizen of this country. We have issues, yeah, and sometimes seem to proud (or stupid) to resolve them but if anyone can, it's us.

Family. There is absolutely nothing I am more thankful for than my family and nothing I cannot do without their support and love. It's been a tough year for us. We've had to say some goodbyes and that's hurt. I am so very thankful for Beth, Mia and Owen not to mention my immediate and extended family who often drive me batshit crazy but only because they love me and I love them.

I'm taking a couple of days off to kick back, hang with all the things I'm thankful for and enjoy the holiday. I am, of course, thankful for all of you. After so many years, you still read, still take the time to comment or drop me an email, and share your thoughts. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

What's on your Thankful Tree?

Posted by Chris at November 22, 2011 7:51 AM
Comments

I'm emailing you privately, as I am not ready to go public!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 22, 2011 9:39 AM

You and I are a lot alike in our trees. I'm thankful for my family, my health, my job, music, sports and a country so free and open that I can choose to be a part of it one day and tune it out the next day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Brad at November 22, 2011 3:59 PM

I am thankful like many for the ones in my life. I am thankful for a husband I adore and a child I worship. I am thankful for all of my family and I miss them so as we have all moved far from one another. I am thankful for the lessons I have learned and the person I have become. I am and we are as I state over and over again, a work in progress, and I love each and every moment of my life. Books, music, wine, friends, family and annoying pets, I love it all and I know how blessed I am. Happy Thanksgiving all!

.......I am very thankful I have no desire to join the freaks at two in the morning to shop on Black Friday....I will be sleeping in my cozy bed and then decorating the tree and staying far, far away from the malls.

Posted by: Shannon at November 23, 2011 12:17 AM

I am thankful for:

Knowing that I will be living in the same dwelling as my husband by 2012;
Having an incredible boss who sees people as people, not just words on a page or numbers;
My four awesome nephews and nieces;
My grandparents, whom I should call more than once a week;
Working in a place where people think my brain is cool rather than crazy;
Watching many of my friends become parents;
Having incredible friends through the years;
Making new incredible friends; and
Getting to meet the Cactus-Fish family this year in REAL LIFE!

Posted by: alektra at November 23, 2011 7:07 AM

I'm thankful for all the kind people out there in the world. I'm also thankful to have such a fun blog to read every day! Thanks Chris.

Posted by: Heather at November 23, 2011 1:50 PM

I'm thankful for my family - three amazing little girls and a wonderful hard working husband - even tho he swears he's moving out when the hormones really kick in at our house..

I'm thankful for my home, and the fact that even tho I live in Michigan, both my husband and I still have jobs that we both enjoy.

I'm thankful for a country where I can live in freedom...

And I'm thankful for blogs that I can read and relate to and laugh at (and laugh WITH) For ally my "cyber" family that I've never met.. Thank you for entertaining me!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Posted by: Kim at November 24, 2011 11:13 PM

My list looks a lot like yours too - don't know what I'd do without books and music! I am also thankful that I found a new job before my previous job vanished with the collapse of my former employer and I'm also thankful that all of my firends there have also found jobs.

Posted by: Sue R at November 28, 2011 12:35 PM