November 4, 2011

The Weeklies #192

You can download it or stream it in your browser if you'd like. It's up to you. No pressure.

The Weekly Condition. My balls and the rest of me are all back to normal. Of course, when I went back to the doctor for a check, she scared the hell out of me. “Don’t lift anything more than 15 pounds for a week or so, okay? Like, anything bigger than a gallon of milk. That ways 15 pounds, right?” I just nodded. But I really wanted to say “Holy shit. You operated on my balls and you have absolutely no sense of measurement or weight? Seriously?”

The Weekly Award. I'm number 16 on the Babble Top 50 Dad-Blog award.

The Weekly Show. Since Beth and Mia are rehearsing a couple of nights a week, I found myself surfing Netflix and stumbled on The Event, one of last year’s failed shows. I meant to check it out while it was on so this was the next best thing. I’m eight episodes in and it’s a damn fine show. Of course I know that since it got canned, there’s a series of bizarre cliffhangers than never get resolved coming. I think I’m prepared for that.

The Weekly Music. Coldplay is an important band. They’re easy to make fun of, sure, and an easy target for jaded music fans but they’re still an important band. It’s partially because of them that innovative rock found itself once again in the mainstream during the last decade. And while Coldplay developed a legion of sound-alike followers, they spawned some excellent bands as well. While I own everything the band’s released, I don’t consider myself a die hard who can’t see the flaws. And there have been lots of flaws to see lately. Sadly, Mylo Xyloto is no exception. Half the songs feel like a Chris Martin solo project. After all, why is the rest of the band there if they’re programming drums and using synthesizers in place of bass and guitars? A few songs sound as if they were written by others (U2) and the remaining few sound almost like the Coldplay I know. Released by any other band, Mylo Xyloto might be a triumph but released by Coldplay, it’s disappointing. It’s not that the album is bad. It’s not. Many of the songs are quite good. But the album is over-produced, each song drenched in a shiny gloss that makes it difficult to penetrate the album’s emotional core, what the band wants you to feel. I know that core’s there. I just can’t reach it or relate to it.

The Weekly Read. The Hunter is a classic crime novel by Richard Stark, AKA Donald Westlake. And it's amazing. Why? Westlake pulls off the impossible. He makes a book packed with terrible people that is fun to read. And despite the fact that it's 50 years old, it holds up amazingly well.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Lindsay’s going full frontal for Playboy. God help us all. Do we really need to see that?

The Weekly Question. Occupy Wall Street and the whole Occupy movement: good, bad, dumb or indifferent?

Posted by Chris at November 4, 2011 7:38 AM
Comments

I think that the sentiment behind the origination of OWS is right on. Yes, the uber rich and the corporations are getting away with paying lower taxes or no taxes and the middle class ends up suffering as we bear the burden for them and the poor. Things need to change so everyone pays a fair and equal tax. With that being said, the whle movement is not going to change that. Sitting out in the street for weeks now is not going to change policy. We need candidates who won't be bought and we need to vote them into office. And by this point, the groups are so diluted and I'd be the majority of people there have no idea why they are there. The original message is being lost by these groups being over run by derelects, homeless, anarchists, and probably even more people with other agendas. It seems so many of them just want to instigate the police and then cry brutality. These protests are not going to end well...I have a really bad feeling about them...too many crazy people getting involved and we saw what happened to Gabby Gifford with one nutjob in the crowd.

Posted by: Lisa at November 4, 2011 8:46 AM

OWS, unfortunately, I think it's a lot of people doing it for the wrong reason. Instead of going and demonstrating nicely, cleanly, they are more like the Hippies from the Haight Ashbury days. They preached peace and love, but acted in really offensive ways.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 4, 2011 9:22 AM

Unfortunately, what I'm seeing a lot is a relatively small core group of true OWS demonstrators, and a number of groups with other agendas (some decades old) hopping on the OWS coattails because they are getting media coverage. While I understand and appreciate their drive and enthusiasm, sleeping in the park isn't going to initiate change, or even really spark discussion about their issues. I'm mostly curious about how many will still be camping in the park up here in the Northland once the heavy snows come in and the temps start to drop towards zero.

Posted by: J at November 4, 2011 9:58 AM

Wow. The doctor actually said "ways" instead of "weighs" ?? ;)

Posted by: Kaz at November 4, 2011 10:16 AM

Sitting in parks is not going to correct the problem. The problem doesn't begin on Wall Street it begins in Washington DC with our representatives and congress people. Until we elect people who will work together and not be subsidized by big business nothing will change.

Kudos on the Dad-Blog award!

Posted by: NancyB at November 4, 2011 11:00 AM

If the urologist thinks that a jug of milk weighs 15 lbs, just think how impressed she must be by the things she sees all day!

Posted by: Kate M at November 4, 2011 12:41 PM

I was having a discussion with my assistant at work, in which she was trying to impress upon me the importance of Coldplay. It's just they seem to be struggling with producing anything excellent... "quite good" just isn't going to cut it with them. And well, I do wish they'd venture into something a bit different. It's just so Coldplay and it's gotten rather boring and overproduced.

Occupy movement: agree with the sentiment. But I'm not sure it's inconvenient enough to drive any sort of change... (Something like peacefully block access to Wall street might work better. Just saying...)

Posted by: Nat at November 4, 2011 5:39 PM

i agree with the OWS sentiment, but if the portland camp is a snapshot of the movement, it looks homeless and druggie and is spearheaded by people with the last names like Carrot Stick. and even if it's not really, the bad apples are ruining it for the rest! disappointing...

i think the ultimate PR problems with both the tea party movement and the OWS movement is that the people that have the time to dedicate to activism for the tea party are the retired old lower middle class dudes that talk about vietnam as "Nam" and other unsavory things and have eagles on their t-shirts and stuff. and i'll leave it at that to be kind. i find those guys to be truly awful representations of americans.

and then there are the people that have time to dedicate to activism for OWS. i would like them to look like today's progressive hippies. young, intellectual but disenfranchised and out of work... instead they appear to be the chronic homeless using the city's allowance to camp in city parks, the "street kids" , etc.

all the movements need, really is better PR. wasn't alec baldwin originally speaking with the NYC protesters? if more celebrities and positive faces were involved, they'd have a better chance to get their message across (which is legitimate, if not explained by someone with the last name of Carrot Stick).

Posted by: kati at November 4, 2011 10:08 PM

The loans are useful for people, which want to ground their company. As a fact, that's easy to receive a car loan.

Posted by: LuisaHerrera at November 5, 2011 5:33 AM