November 2, 2011

Toothless In Virginia

We reached something of a milestone this past week. Mia lost her first tooth. She was ecstatic and saw it as both a rite of passage and a money-making opportunity.

I'm made of pretty strong stuff as a parent. I've been pooped on, peed on, puked on and cleaned up oodles of boogers but I've got to say that watching a tooth twist around in someone's mouth is fundamentally unnatural and uncomfortable. I don't remember being grossed out by it as a kid. I remember it being oddly satisfying.

The Tooth Fairy came and left a nice, crisp five dollar bill under Mia's pillow. We were quick to point out our theory that the Tooth Fairy rewarded first lost teeth more than subsequent teeth and she shouldn't expect this kind of windfall to continue throughout her tooth-losing career. For her part, Mia's convinced that the Tooth Fairy - it's a girl, of course - uses the teeth as building materials and lives in a castle made of teeth. She's unclear on the exact geographic location of said mansion.

For me, well, it's another sign that my kids are growing up. It's wonderful to see but hard to fathom that I have a child capable of developmentally-appropriate tooth loss. Next thing you know she'll be asking for the car keys. Or dating.

It's too early to start drinking, right?

Posted by Chris at November 2, 2011 7:05 AM
Comments

I've been proof reading college application essays this week. You have no idea how fast they grow up...

We got stuck for $5 for every tooth.

Posted by: COD at November 2, 2011 8:09 AM

It's never too early to start drinking! My son lost his first tooth this year and the tooth fairy completely forgot to come. :-/ I'm a terrible parent but fortunately I'm a great liar. The tooth fairy came the next night with a sick note from the doctor!

Posted by: Holly at November 2, 2011 10:30 AM

nah - not too early! Watching someone wiggle a loose tooth make me feel ooshy.

Posted by: Sue R at November 2, 2011 10:54 AM

Nuf said. ;-)

Posted by: oakley at November 2, 2011 11:27 AM

My son had 4 loose at the same time and two just dropped out; we were so busy with Halloween yadda-yadda that the teeth got misplaced, so the fairy left a note explaining that she was really busy, but that she would be back for the teeth later. We did the same payout ( 5 for first, 3 for second and for the delay ) with the promise of decreasing over time. My daughter wanted to know if it had to be her own teeth; she is definitely the one to watch out for.

In some cases it is too early, but for moments like this, no, not too early.

Posted by: metawizard2 at November 2, 2011 9:09 PM