November 1, 2011

Warning: Approaching Holidays

Like most people with children under 10, we went trick-or-treating last night. Our group was large and included Bumble Bee, an anonymous bear, Rapunzel, Batman, a strawberry, Mace Windu, an uncharacteristically mouthy ninja, Captain America and a Dutch waffle. It should take very little time to figure out that Rapunzel and Captain America belonged to us. It was cold and I was surrounded by rowdy kids each trying to scare the crap out of one another. But it was nice. Really nice.

Halloween is the gateway holiday. Beginning on October 31st a flood of holidays come rushing at you. By the time the new year spits you out and leaves you forgetting the date, you're tired, spent and slightly emotionally unstable. But I love them. Sure, I mourn the loss of summer for a little while but the crunch of fallen leaves under my feet as I escort little princesses and superheroes is kind of nice. I enjoy the Christmas lights, being surrounded by family and the smell of wood fires in the air.

How about you - do you look forward to the holiday season or cringe at the idea that it's coming?

Posted by Chris at November 1, 2011 7:50 AM
Comments

While I despise winter, I do love the holiday season! But I like to take it one holiday at a time, and hate how Christmas is shoved down our throats starting today. I refuse to get into Christmas festivities until after Thanksgiving dinner is digested. But our holiday celebrations don't stop with New Years..after that comes the BEST holiday ever: MARDI GRAS!

Posted by: Lisa at November 1, 2011 8:20 AM

For me, it's a little bit of both. The holidays -- and all the pressures and expectations that come with them -- send my anxiety into overdrive. But I do love the idea of presents, and special meals, and the lights and all that.

But holiday music can go straight to hell.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 1, 2011 9:15 AM

I mostly look forward to it. A time of year when we slow down, spend more time at home and relax. We watch tons of movies together as a family and enjoy the simple things this time of the year like board games, and just hanging out together.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 1, 2011 11:09 AM

I'm with you, except our gateway holiday is my daughter's birthday in September. Summer's over, school and soccer are beginning, and it's safe to go back to Disneyland. Halloween is my daughter's favorite day of the year, so she kicks into high gear once her party decorations come down. After Halloween, it's my time to shine. I love Christmas, and November is when fall starts here in L.A. It is actually getting cool: one needs a jacket periodically; rain may fall; roofs and windshields get frosty if not icy. I too love the smell of wood fires and the homes in my neighborhood are sufficiently old to still be sporting wood-burning fireplaces, now banned in new construction. Viva la holidays!

Posted by: Brooke at November 1, 2011 11:54 AM

I love the holiday seasons, even if it means cold temperatures and snow. There is something very special about Thanksgiving and Christmas. Perhaps it's all about love!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 1, 2011 1:36 PM

love it. in fact, i've been wishing that jan-march all had fun holidays to look forward to as well! halloween, thanksgiving and christmas all get you through the first few bad-weather months with reasons to put twinkly lights on your porch and get cozy inside but january just leaves you with three or four more months of dreariness with nothing to look forward to! boooo...

but i guess i'm a diehard. even after 5 years in corporate retail with the disgusting consumer holiday bullshit on my mind 24 hours a day i am wholeheartedly excited about the holidays every single year :)

Posted by: kati at November 1, 2011 1:48 PM

I LOVE the holidays with my little family. My husband, my son and I. Unfortunately, it's impossible to keep it to just us. I love celebrating with my parents and my parents in law as well. I wish it were possible to celebrate each holiday with all of them but that's not going to happen. Which makes me sad on the holidays. (Then there is having to deal with my SIL and her kids who I LOVE but are batshit insane and difficult to deal with much of the time. The holidays make them 100X worse.)

Why yes, I AM conflicted... why do you ask? LOL

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at November 1, 2011 2:14 PM

(When I went to fill in my name above, the autocorrect had two choices: Claire and Norman Mailer - from a book order. I found that amusing. ANYWAY...)

I really love the holidays but cringe only because I know that they're going to pass oh-so very quickly. Before I know it, I'll be looking at my pile of Christmas gifts and all that build-up will be gone and I'll feel a little deflated but thankful and relieved.

Posted by: Claire at November 1, 2011 2:15 PM

There is way too much stress and nearly no small children when we go to my family home for the holidays. I consider the need to make Christmas "perfect" vomit-inducing. I love my family, I just can't take the pent up anger released by alcohol...

Sigh, can you tell I have no filter this morning?

Halloween was fun! Yay Halloween!

Posted by: alektra at November 2, 2011 6:00 AM

I LOVE the holidays, and am *really* looking forward them this year with our new little one. However, I despise the snow and cold... But I haven't done anything about trying to escape it. *sigh* Leave the snow and bring on the holidays!

Posted by: ironic1 at November 2, 2011 6:42 AM

I love the holidays too! Now that my family has consolidated a little geographically, seeing everyone involves 2 10 minute car trips instead of 4 half hour trips!

Posted by: Sue R at November 2, 2011 10:48 AM

Gotta admit, excited about it. I warble through the years between happy elf to grinch, but this year is definitely more about the elf.

Posted by: metawizard2 at November 2, 2011 9:06 PM