December 7, 2011

Fascinating People

According to the always brilliant, hardhitting journalistic machine that is E! News (and shouldn't every news organization have an exclamation point? CNN! ABC! MSNBC! Al Jazeera!) Barbara Walters is all set to unveil her list of fascinating people for 2011. On the list, predictably, are Simon Cowell (if I were only mean and British I too could be famous), Pippa Middleton (presumably because of her ass), Katy Perry (I have nothing snide to say because I kind of like some of her songs and she hasn't yet become a rampant nip-slipping meth-head), the Karshians (because God is punishing us for something and I'm pretty sure divas with giant asses was in the Book Of Revelation somewhere but was mistranslated), and Donald Trump (which would be appropriate if the focus was only on his hair but I bet we have to hear him talk so it's totally not worth it).

I realize Barbara Walters is, like, 312 years old and could, as a result, be slightly feebed-out but is this seriously the best she could do?

How about Jay Bradner, a cancer researcher who thinks he stumbled onto something that could help advance the fight but instead of patenting it, he went open source with it, sending it to labs around the country while publishing the results? How about the organizers and protesters who spawned the Occupy movement? You might not agree with them but they started a wave of peaceful protests and actually stood for something. How about Lee Soucy, a survivor of Pearl Harbor who decided decades ago that when he died he wanted to be buried with those who weren't so lucky? Yesterday his ashes were placed in a porthole of the sunken USS Utah.

You don't have to be famous to be fascinating. And by putting reality TV stars, famous people's less famous relatives and people who are famous only for being famous, we ignore the opportunity to recognize those people who've truly made a difference.

Who - famous or not - would you vote as the most fascinating person of 2011?

Posted by Chris at December 7, 2011 7:50 AM
Comments

I don't understand what her criteria for Most Fascinating is, but it's no where near mine. I agree with the starters of the Occupy Movement, and what about Gabby Giffords? Julian Assange? Steve Jobs? (oh but she couldn't interview him??)

She needs to change the name of this list to the most overexposed, uninteresting people of 2011

Posted by: Lisa at December 7, 2011 8:51 AM

Gabby Giffords (and her husband, Mark) popped into my mind immediately.

Posted by: RzDrms at December 7, 2011 10:29 AM

Gabby Giffords, certainly. And how about Michelle Shearer, the 2011 National Teacher of the Year?

Posted by: J at December 7, 2011 11:49 AM

Yeah, Julian Assange! I'd like to know what makes him tick.

Posted by: Brooke at December 7, 2011 11:53 AM

wouldn't have given that dinosaur's list a thought in the first place, but now that you've brought it up, yup, sounds an awful lot like the harbinger of the endtimes to me...

waste of her influence, at the very least.

Posted by: kati at December 7, 2011 12:02 PM

I don't know who I'd nominate for most fascinating, but I agree with you, Chris, that fascinating most certainly isn't famous. By the definition of being famous, we kind of already know all there is to know about these people which makes them the very opposite of fascinating. To make a roundabout way of answering your question, I'd probably say anyone is more fascinating than someone I've heard more than I'd care to've heard about already.

Posted by: shan at December 7, 2011 1:00 PM

The Kardashians? REally?!?! I can not think of anyone I LESS want to know more about. (That was terrible grammar. I need more coffee.) Gabby Gifford's husband was on The Daily Show a while back, and he was pretty interesting, so I can see having him/them on the list.
And yay for the researcher dude. That's pretty freakin awesome.

Posted by: Heather at December 7, 2011 1:25 PM

The family from New Mom New Cancer blog

To find out you have stage 3 cancer and then that your baby gril has stage 4 cancer is just unbelievable ! The love and strength of this little family is truly facinating , unlike Snookie or Trump . Now if Trump would help them since the father did lose his job due to missing to much work for Drs appts then I might consider him news worhty.

Posted by: michelle at December 7, 2011 1:44 PM

First people that I thought of were Gaby Giffords and Mark Kelly. Did you see that 20/20 special? Amazing.

And that cancer discovery guy - wow!

Posted by: Jodi at December 7, 2011 4:18 PM

I thought my husband was going to throw something at the TV when the KarDoucheians showed up on the screen. What a joke they are. How much do you think Kris had to pay Kourtney and Scott to keep their yaps shut about her pregnancy all this time?
Who would I nominate? Hmm? How about a Noble Peace Prize winner or Pulitizer? Has she ever interviewed Steven Spielberg? My son did a book report on his (kid size) biography one year and he's pretty cool. I like to know what makes creative minds tick.
I don't mind interviews of actors but I enjoy ones in the vein of Bravo's "Inside The Actors Studio".

Posted by: NancyB at December 7, 2011 9:15 PM

My kids are more fascinating than anyone else on that list so I pick them (though to be fair, Pippa's ass does deserve its place on that list...).

Posted by: sarah at December 7, 2011 10:07 PM

Not just of 2011, but I find Dean Kamen fascinating. He's done a lot, but got scant recognition. The dude's a genius a la Steve Jobs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Kamen

Posted by: mmpotter at December 9, 2011 9:22 PM