December 19, 2011

Have an Old School Christmas

We spent the weekend with Christmas music echoing through our house. I realized something - I'm old-school when it comes to Christmas tunes.

Frankly, I don't care to listen to Christmas tunes made in the past fifty years. Josh Groban can take his yuletide cheer elsewhere. Michael Buble can shove his modern crooning up his Bublehole. Even John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen are a little too modern for my tastes.

No, give me Bing Crosby, Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra and the rest of the rat pack, Nat King Cole, Burl Ives, and just about any brand of old-school big band swing and I'm a right jolly old elf.

Now, I'll make one thing very clear and what's confusing about this whole thing - I would never listen to this stuff if it wasn't Christmas. Okay, I might indulge in a little Sinatra every now and then. And it's always fun when a Dean Martin tune comes on in a cheesy Italian restaurant. But if Bing Crosby recorded anything beyond Christmas songs, I'm not aware of it. Mel Torme puts me to sleep. Eleven months of the year, I call Perry Como Perry Coma. Only in December does Johnny Mathis not drive me up the wall and John Denver not force me into an epic stupor.

But they're my Christmas music MVPs.

Posted by Chris at December 19, 2011 8:18 AM
Comments

I agree -- the oldtimers are great with the Christmas carols!

If you want to try someone else out at Christmas AND non-Christmasy music, check out Andy Williams. I downloaded some of his music from LimeWire or something long ago. Moon River was one of my father's favorite songs. Andy has such a beautiful quality to his voice.

Posted by: NancyB at December 19, 2011 10:56 AM

After working at Wal-Mart for 4 years while I was in college, I have just now (6 years later) reached the point where I can listen to Christmas music without wanting to stab my eardrums with pencils. Listening to the same 15 songs played out of those tinny speakers for 2 solid months really soured me towards the whole season.

Recently though, I've started to enjoy it again. I created a Trans-Siberian Orchestra station of Pandora, and it's been playing pretty much nonstop in our house. It's not necessarily the traditional stuff that you enjoy, but it's not the contemporary stuff that has been redone 75 times either (Bublehole may be my new favorite word).

Posted by: Military Dad at December 19, 2011 11:52 AM

Have you heard the new Scott Weiland Christmas CD. It is very bizarre because it is very Bing Crosby-ish

Posted by: Elissa Lerma at December 19, 2011 11:53 AM

I don't like newer Christmas music either but this year I've made an exception and been listening to A She and Him Christmas. I absolutely love Zooey Deschanel's voice. It reminds me of Patsy Cline. Otherwise, I'm rat pack all the way for xmas songs.

Posted by: Holly at December 19, 2011 12:13 PM

i like the caveat :) and the bublehole ahahaha!

john fahey's acoustic christmas music was my childhood favorite. we used to listen to it on my dad's reel-to-reel, which was already old at the time, so it's not quite the same on spotify with no static, but i still love it!

also the vince gauraldi trio.

have you tried a very she & him christmas? it's new (oh no!) but i like it :)

Posted by: kati at December 19, 2011 12:27 PM

I completely agree! I used to have a Pandora station based off some of the newer stuff, but it was annoying the heck out of me this year. (Pandora would play the Beach Boys every other song and in my opinion, the Beach Boys should not sing Christmas songs. Period.) I switched over to the classics and it is SO much better.

Posted by: stephanie at December 19, 2011 2:27 PM

Dude. RUN-DMC, "Christmas in Hollis, Queens" -- best Christmas song EVER.

Posted by: Aaron at December 19, 2011 2:56 PM

I'm with you!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 19, 2011 5:08 PM

You are great! But I still did good! Hey!

Posted by: Office 2007 at December 21, 2011 9:00 PM

Longchamp est la conception discrète et détaillée n'a jamais été présenté LOGO LOGO loin de la grande mode des crimes, des personnes réelles à retenir est que le style de pliage Longchamp notion sacs à main, des boulettes et forfait populaire est allé rendre hommage à l'emblème de boutons de Michae populaires . des sacs Longchamp dans le marché il ya peu, comparé aux centaines de milliers d'autres marques, le besoin de dépenser des milliers de dollars sera propriétaire d'un sac Longchamp! Longchamp en France était célèbre pour l'excellente exécution supérieure, design de mode de premier plan, légère concept pratique de pliage, et le genre de prix-à-terre de renommée mondiale, aujourd'hui, plus de la conduite de ligne initiale du produit s'étend à la peau de sacs à main, ceintures, gants en cuir , cravates en soie et les écharpes.

Posted by: Longchamp at December 29, 2011 2:14 AM