December 22, 2011

Telecommuting and Phone-ear

I work from home about fifty percent of the time. My commute to the office is 11 miles and on a good day that'll take about 45 minutes during rush hour. So the walk down two flights of stairs to the basement is a preferred alternative. Plus I get to see the kids during the day. The majority of people I work with and for are scattered around the country so working remotely is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Which is nice. The side-effect, however, is that I spend hours each day on the phone. Yesterday I spent almost exactly ten hours on the phone.

My work phone is always forwarded to my cell phone. But I add a step when I'm at home because cell reception in my basement is pretty terrible. I forward my cell to Skype. The end result is spending the day with an earbud in my ear and a headache by the end of the day.

I can't complain - nor will I - because I love the flexibility but I wouldn't mind a few less conference calls during the day. Plus it could be worse. I could work out of my car like I did a couple weeks back more often than I have to.

What about you. Have you noticed an increased trend towards remote working in whatever fields you're in?

Oh, also, on a totally unrelated note, do you think Kim Jong-Il's death will change anything in North Korea? I'm having a hard time coming to any conclusions.

Posted by Chris at December 22, 2011 7:43 AM
Comments

I worked from home for 2.5 years and 6 months ago accepted a new position for a job I drive to again. (20 miles with about a 30 minute drive). I do still work from home occasionally but I just enjoy the flexability of having the choice. Our work laptops have a Voip phone we use through our remote access solution and I love it. (Ok, I'm in IT and may or may not support the remote access solutions my company offers). Almost all of the the support folks are work with are 100% remote. I think flexibility is the whole key here.

Posted by: Jody at December 22, 2011 9:58 AM

I have to say, getting a snowball microphone and decent speakers has helped immensely with talking through skype. I will also recommend getting a better set of headphones. Seriously, if you have a headache every day? It's worth the money not to use earbuds.

Posted by: alektra at December 22, 2011 11:17 AM

I telecommuted for most of the prior 8 years, until I had to take a new job in October that has me commuting 50 miles each way. It's a company culture thing - I could do my job from home here too. But the people are cool, the view from my office is inspiring, so I'm dealing with it.

Posted by: COD at December 22, 2011 12:19 PM

I really wish I could work from home, but since I work for an alphabet place, it is not an option. I'm jealous of those that do, but at the same time, I also enjoy getting out of the house and talking to other people.

I don't think Kim Jong Il's death will change anything for North Koreans. I think Kim Jong Un taking over North Korea will be more dangerous for us, because I've heard he's even crazier than Kim Jong Il. I fear for our safety, and the safety of all of Asia. I fear for the South Koreans. I fear that we'll end up in war with North Korea within a year.

Posted by: Kim at December 22, 2011 2:46 PM

I only recently started working from home (start of December) but I kind of set a precedent at the company where I work as they have never previously allowed employees to work from home. Sure, I had to resign as a salaried employee and lose all my benefits to become a contract worker, but so far I am not regretting the move at all. I am paid hourly now so I need to clock a certain number of hours per day / week to meet my target income, which kind of sucks because it puts a lot of pressure on if you start falling behind, but I love the flexibility of being able to work where and when I want to and how it can fit in around other things I need to get done. I love not having to deal with politics all day and I love that I can control the noise level in my environment - makes it so much easier to focus. Most of all though, I love that I can be here for my son as he grows up. I still go into the office for meetings, and maybe further down the line I'd go back to working in an office if it was the right crowd, but I am super happy at the moment.

Posted by: Delia at December 23, 2011 10:16 AM

Des sacs Longchamp achat en ligne au chaud ,"Longchamp" - le supérieur français en cuir à base des produits de marque, fondée en 1948. Sac à main Longchamp est bien connue pour ses meilleurs appartenant à la tradition française de fabrication exceptionnelle, le modèle chose importante le style léger et pliable idée raisonnable à proximité de la planète. Aujourd'hui, les marchandises de Longchamp a étendu à sac à main, en cuir à base de ceinture, gants, cravate de soie et foulard loin de votre abord pipe en cuir à base.

Posted by: Longchamp at December 29, 2011 2:13 AM