December 9, 2011

The Weeklies #196

The Weekly Vegetable. Mashed potatoes.

The Weekly TV Obsession. I finished every episode of Jericho ever made and, as is a growing trend in my Screenings of Canceled TV Shows, I was disappointed that it was over. But I jumped back on the horse and started watching Flash Forward which is pretty darn good.

The Weekly Oops. The MythBusters apparently shot a cannonball through a house. The myth they were testing apparently had nothing to do with a house or the velocity a cannonball must achieve to pass through a private residence. Oops.

The Weekly Work Side-Effect. Utter exhaustion.

The Weekly Read. This week I tackled Blake Crouch's Locked Doors and it's follow-up novella Break You. They're both worthy successors to one of his earlier novels Desert Places and round out the Andrew Thomas trilogy. Thomas is a thriller writer who finds himself on the wrong end of a serial killer. The trilogy follows his long bumpy ride as he challenges the killer and becomes a fugitive himself. All three novels are good but I particularly liked Locked Doors. Break You wasn't particularly worthy of a place in the series but if you've read the other two, it's worth the quick read.

The Weekly Music. I love old-school progressive rock and one of the bands I fell in love with as a kid was Yes. Thirty years later, they're still making music (which is a good thing) and releasing live albums (which, apparently, is not). I picked up a copy of In The Present, the latest in a long string of live albums. I'd like to be given some reason to defend this album. Yes, they're old. Yes, they've had some personnel changes. But there's no excuse for such a terrible album. It sounds good, it's well produced and the art is, as always, great. It's the music itself that falls flat. The band has totally lost their fire. Songs are slowed down to the point of glacial plodding and the technical wizardry they once showed is completely absent with the exception of contributions from guitarist Steve Howe who's on fire. It's sad.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Alec Baldwin got kicked off an American Airlines flight for playing a game on his iPhone. After seeing what ensued afterwards, I'm not sure who is worthy of more schadenfreude sympathy, the airlines or Baldwin. I'll take hidden answer C, Lindsay Lohan because, well, why not?

The Weekly Question. What do you most want for Christmas this year?

Posted by Chris at December 9, 2011 7:26 AM
Comments

This year it is tough to come up with anything I want for Christmas, except maybe a trip to the beach! I did ask my husband for a nice set of colored pencils.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 9, 2011 8:19 AM

Well, when you consider that last year, my MIL fell and broke her wrist and ankle right before Christmas, and the prior year, my wife's back went out ON Christmas day, I'm hoping for a no-injury holiday. Oh, and one of those big M&M filled candy cane things.

Posted by: J at December 9, 2011 8:38 AM

I wish I could count mashed potatoes as vegetables ;) I know they technically are but I wish they weren't so carby! If butter and milk would count too that'd be grand haha.
I want a peaceful and healthy family holiday, for Christmas.

Posted by: Heather at December 9, 2011 9:49 AM

I want my son to get the full-ride college scholarship he interviewed for last week.

I'm happily employed this Christmas. I was unemployed last Christmas. So personally, I'm good with what I have.

But that full-ride would sure my life easier...

Posted by: COD at December 9, 2011 10:01 AM

For Christmas this year, I would like my Mom to get well enough to come home.

Posted by: bacioni at December 9, 2011 10:07 AM

Have you watched the series Breaking Bad? My husband was devastated when he finished it.

I don't want anything for Christmas we have way too much. Just want to enjoy the day with family.

Posted by: Jackie at December 9, 2011 10:09 AM

All I want is a healthy Grand baby later this year. Nothing else is really important.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 9, 2011 10:43 AM

I really want for Christmas is my transfer to a new department to be approved. Hopefully Santa will come through. heh.

Posted by: Manda at December 9, 2011 12:01 PM

I want this:

It's a graphics tablet...without the graphics tablet! It's a sensor and a special pen and I could draw on any paper and the Inkling will pick it up and make it digital.

Unfortunately, Amazon seems to be the only outlet for them and they have none. Also, no one who buys me gifts shops from my Amazon list, so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting one. Maybe I'll get Amazon gift cards, though. Then I could get my own.

My Dad told me that he and his wife are getting my stepson a graphics tablet for Christmas (just a regular one) so maybe I'll just use his. :-)

Posted by: Brooke at December 9, 2011 12:05 PM

The Boy has a job near here! Yay!!!!!

For the weird problem with my grandmother's foot to stop. They don't know why her toes are decaying (no diabetes, good blood flow), and it's extraordinarily painful for her. They already amputated some toes on the one foot. It's spread to the other.

I got my iPad2, so that's good. :)

Posted by: alektra at December 9, 2011 2:02 PM

We are far from being well off (oh sooo far), but we really do not need anything nor long for something we don't have. I just want to spend time with the family and see a bunch of excited kids that are still young enough to set out milk and cookies for Santa and think they hear reindeer on our roof:D

Posted by: Shannon at December 9, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers...to some overhanging medical issues that seem to be unanswerable.

Posted by: Krush at December 9, 2011 2:04 PM

I already got my what I wanted for Christmas, a new 2011 Subaru WRX! Heck yeah!

Posted by: Jesse at December 9, 2011 4:14 PM

All I want for Christmas is a SURPRISE. Really. I know everything I'm getting because I've been asked or have picked things out. I just want someone to buy something because they see it and it makes them think of me - I don't care if it's a dollar or a million. I just want someone to know me well enough to pick out a present for me without my guidance.

Posted by: Sarah at December 9, 2011 6:41 PM

UK Dissertation Help is a best fendi sito ufficiale Dis Goedkope uggs sertation Writing Company in Ba ngalore, India which offers excellant dissertation development services by expert writers. UK-Dissertation-Help.com offers a better service in writing p scarpe hogan rofessional thesis to all the students all over world especially UK. UK-Dissertations-Help.com ca Carrera sunglasses n provide a full range of tory burch boots services designed to help Ray Ban Wayfarer you complete your dissertat canada goose ion. We will search your chosen research topic to identify and retrieve copies of applicable journal articles and source materials. We wi Moncler Sito Ufficiale ll write your re louis vuitton sito ufficiale view of literat hogan sito ufficiale ure, which wi tory burch outlet ll include both the studies and the framework. We c karen millen an edit, re-conceptualize, revise, and rewrite a literature revi canada goose ew that you have al Chanel sunglasses ready completed. We help in writing thesis, diss Karen millen outlet ertation, reports, develop projects, mba reports, assignments, literature, survey Polo Ralph Lauren reports, ieee proje cts, ieee projects 2010, ieee projects 2010, java based ieee projects,.net based ieee projects, application development, android, cloud computing, etc.

Posted by: 003 at December 9, 2011 9:02 PM

First off I want everyone to be healthy and happy. After that I want an ipad but I refuse to spend 500 bucks, REFUSE. I love my money more than I could ever love an ipad. As long as the kids are smiling I got what I wanted ;-)

Posted by: Kami at December 10, 2011 4:27 AM

Yes is one of my favourite bands and rank up there with the top 10 concerts I've ever attended, however I must agree with you on the new live album. It's awful.

Posted by: Beth at December 11, 2011 8:15 PM