January 16, 2012

Blankets

Blankets seem to get named in my house. Not ordinary names like Frank or Ed. Frank is actually an imaginary British guy I made up who always tells my kids "I'm Frank and I like sausages" in a cockney accent. Ed was the name of my toilet in college and my University of Texas hat. No, the blankets are sensibly and obviously named.

For example, my big blue blanket that I've had since college is Big Blue. The blanket that a friend of the family made for Beth when she was a little girl is called Mommy's Blanket From When She Was A Little Girl. The giant red fuzzy blanket is called Big Red and the massive king-size comforter with all sorts of odd paisley designs is called Big Whatsit.

Two (or more) years ago, Mia gave up her princess blanket in favor of Big Blue claiming she would sleep under it forever. She thought it was cool that I'd used it in college and had it for, oh, 20+ years. She loves it and I'm happy for her to have it. Owen claimed Mommy's Blanket From When She Was A Little Girl six months ago. And because he's like me and likes to sleep under a dozen layers of stuff, he claimed Big Red last week.

The problem? Big Red was mine and, as mentioned, I like to sleep under a metric ton of blankets. So now I'm forced to sleeping under Big Whatsit with Beth. And I don't mind Big Whatsit nor am I averse to sharing with my lovely wife. But still...I miss Big Red.

Posted by Chris at January 16, 2012 7:54 AM
Comments

www.cozycalm.com

My world is infinitely better with it.

Posted by: alektra at January 16, 2012 8:36 AM

Oh thank you, we have blankets with names too. Thought I was alone.

Posted by: Linda at January 16, 2012 8:39 AM

oh the things we do for our children....

Posted by: Darren at January 16, 2012 9:00 AM

Just wait until Beth is going through menopause! She will be throwing all the blankets onto you!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 16, 2012 9:12 AM

The only blankets with names are the ones we dragged along behind us as little kids. Mine was Boppy with silk edging that I sniffed off while simultaneously sucking 2 fingers on my right hand. My son's was Baba, no edging, but employed a thumb and some elaborate machinations to keep the sweet smell near his nose. Ahh, memories!

Posted by: NancyB at January 16, 2012 11:24 AM

My husband also has his own blankets, though they don't have names. There are two of them, and he's had them since at least high school, and I think they are grody (despite the washings they get). Plus, they're starting to get holes in them. He uses those blankets at night, and I use the normal person sheets and comforter. If we have to share blankets, we both get cranky, since he tends to cocoon himself when he sleeps.

Posted by: Jaime at January 17, 2012 12:16 PM

And here I thought we were alone in naming our blankets! Mostly their names are related to their colours (black blankie, blue blankie etc.) but we also have a binary blanket (literally a blanket covered in printed binary code that spells out 'blanket') which is called Didgy Blankie. We also have a faux fur blanket which is called Grizzly Bear, or just Grizzly for short.

Posted by: Delia Spengler at January 18, 2012 4:51 AM