January 18, 2012

Cruise?

Do you cruise?

I've been watching this whole Italian cruise ship fiasco. It's pretty amazing. And how often do you see a massive cruise ship on it's side in the water?

I'm not the cruising type. First, I'm not sure I want to spend any length of time on a boat. Second, I don't like people enough to be trapped with them on a floating hotel crammed into a too-small room being told what to do. Introduce the element of, well, capsizing, and I'm pretty much done.

So, do you cruise?

Posted by Chris at January 18, 2012 8:08 AM
Comments

I have never agreed more with you than I do today.

Posted by: Laura at January 18, 2012 8:20 AM

I agree. I'd rather go to a resort somewhere and have everything that I need close by, but have the option to leave if I'd like.

Posted by: Kim at January 18, 2012 8:45 AM

I would recommend a rock cruise. It's like a floating music festival with functioning bathrooms.

Posted by: TheQueen at January 18, 2012 9:05 AM

I do cruise - have a number of times already, and have a few on the books for the next few years. Am I concerned about what happened with the Costa ship happening to me? Not really. This is a case of extremely bad decision making on the part of the captain (sailing where he shouldn't have been).

I equate it with flying. It's rare that an accident like this happens, but because it IS so rare, we hear a lot about it. You're more likely to be harmed doing something you do every day.

But yeah, it's not for everyone - I definitely had a case of the 'too many people' heebie jeebies the first time I cruised - but after enjoying a beautiful sunset at sea or two - that tends to go away :)

Posted by: Kellie at January 18, 2012 9:08 AM

I do cruise and I love it. I don't have to do anything but show up every day. I only cruise Princess Cruise Lines, as I feel comfortable with their safety procedures. We tend to splurge and get a mini suite so we have lots of room. We also love the tours, and yeah the abundance of food! We go on another one in March!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 18, 2012 9:21 AM

The only cruise I ever plan on going on will be to Antarctica, because that's the only way you can visit it. Otherwise, no way in hell. You must read David Foster Wallace's short story "A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again" - it's about his cruise experience. I have never laughed so hard!

Posted by: Heather at January 18, 2012 10:01 AM

We've been on two, including a Mediterranean one, and I'm a big fan. But I would never choose a company that I wasn't very familiar with. I also wouldn't choose one that didn't have anyone on board who spoke English.

Posted by: Jaime at January 18, 2012 10:35 AM

Neither my wife nor myself have any interest in taking a traditional cruise. The Windjammer sailing ships where you actually help sail the boat a little look like they would be fun though.

Posted by: COD at January 18, 2012 10:40 AM

I've been on two cruises...and we enjoyed them both...however, there is something to say for staying put for a week as opposed to going from one port to another.

We did find our favorite place on earth while on a cruise...St. Kitts is where I want to retire to...live in a little shack on the beach and rent out beach chairs and umbrellas to the crusiers! ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at January 18, 2012 10:43 AM

You know, I thought I wasn't the cruising type either, but I went on one and totally changed my mind. You are able to do such a varitey of things and see such a variety of places. I really can't describe it. If you have an opportunity to get a good deal, try it. I hear the Alaska ones are incredible. And if you do someday go and the idea of a too-small room scares you, go for the balcony rooms.

The one thing that I dislike about cruising is how the staff are treated and compensated. The cruise lines are set up so the company that operates the cruise isn't American (so who knows what they're actually paid). In fact, there was only one American staff member who was the emcee of the cruise. I have also heard things about criminal activity that occurs because so many tourists totally let their guard down once on board. But I would totally cruise again.

Posted by: laurs at January 18, 2012 11:36 AM

I've always wanted to go on a cruise -- after I learn how to swim, of course! Not to the tropics, but maybe a European cruise, or one of those whale watching cruises. My husband is dead-set against it, and news stories like this one don't help. And it's like the story just keeps getting more and more unbelievable.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 18, 2012 11:42 AM

I don't cruise, but that's primarily because I haven't had the opportunity. My husband hates boats, though, so probably we won't cruise any time soon. I want to do a Disney cruise, but the good ones involve - gulp - FLYING to Florida first, soooo...not so much.

Posted by: Brooke at January 18, 2012 12:10 PM

I used to think it might be cool to g on a cruise with some good friends - no kids - and just eat a ton of food. But really, I avoid them for the same reasons you listed. Ugh.

Posted by: Claire at January 18, 2012 12:51 PM

I never wanted to cruise, but my youngest sister wants too. I have been debating trying it with her. My biggest concern was being trapped on a boat with thousands. Now this freaky accident, so close to shore that shouldn't have happened. I don't know how to swim, so this has freaked me out.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 18, 2012 12:53 PM

I've never understood the appeal of cruises. My sister worked on a cruise ship for a while (she's a massage therapist) and they treat their staff incredibly poorly. All the major cruise lines use same spa service company so they have a monopoly.

The daughter of the the still-missing Minnesota couple is a moderator on a stepmom forum I belong to, so it's hitting kind of close to home. :(

Posted by: Jess at January 18, 2012 2:12 PM

I've never been on one, but I know several people that love it. So we're taking a 3-day Bahamas cruise in March. Could be fun, or it could be awful (esp since my husband gets seasick, so he may just end up sleeping through the whole thing).

Have you heard the phone call transcripts between the captain and the Italian coast guard? I find that fascinating, largely because of the tone and wording that the coast guard uses with the captain. It's MUCH more antagonistic than anyone would ever get away with in the States.

Posted by: Dawn at January 18, 2012 4:12 PM

I've been on one cruise and loved it. I would happily go again if I had the bucks to pay for it. Good food, fun entertainment, lots to do if you want, or do nothing if you want. About the only thing we did in the room was sleep, so it didn't matter how big or small the room was. How else would I have been able to swim the stingrays in the Cayman Islands, snorkel in Cozumel and climb up a waterfall in Jamaica?

Posted by: Carey at January 19, 2012 12:56 AM

I have never cruised and have no intention of doing so, although I have been on a cruise ship (the QE II) to sing once and it was pretty cool - it's just that the whole idea does not appeal to me. That being said, we have a friend that works on cruise ships and has been doing so for the past 10 years. His contracts are 6 months long, he's back here for maybe a month if he's lucky and then he's off again. Working on a ship is not the same as cruising, I know, but I still can't imagine spending all that time cooped up on a boat, whether it is for work or pleasure.

Posted by: Delia Spengler at January 19, 2012 2:07 AM

I have done 11 cruises, with 2 more coming up soon. All of these have been with Disney. Like others have said, the captain was incompetent and irresponsible, but these cases are rare. I had one rocky day during a Mediterranean cruise in 2010, but always felt very safe.
I love waking up to a new place every day and not having to pack/unpack to see different countries. For me, cruising is the best way to travel. Your kids are the perfect age for a Disney Cruise. If you ever really look into it, I could give you tons of information!

Posted by: Tess at January 19, 2012 6:17 AM