January 17, 2012

Pinteresting

No one ever half-asses a social media account. They either embrace it or allow it to lapse into disuse. For me, Facebook and Flickr are my go-tos. I use Instagram on my phone but only as a means to edit and post mobile shots to Flickr. I use Goodreads since I've forgotten to write book titles down upon completion. I've all but abandoned Google+ and Twitter.

And now I've gotten myself a Pinterest account.

If you don't know, Pinterest is basically social list-making. I don't know why it's so compelling but it is. And it's kinda fun. So far I've got lists covering a wide variety of stuff, from my favorite movies to the fact that Celine Dion creeps me out. And once you make those lists others with similar tastes come out of the woodwork. Not only is it fun but it's marginally validating.

So, check out my Pinterest site and let me know if you want an invite.

What social media sites do you actively use? And which ones have you abandoned?

Posted by Chris at January 17, 2012 7:00 AM
Comments

I find the addiction factor with Pinterest to be quite high. It is fun. Very inspirational too! Enjoy!

Posted by: Carrster at January 17, 2012 8:19 AM

I am not too into social media BUT I do love pinterest. It is addictive! I have actually done several of the crafts and recipies that I've found through there. I find it to be a little more useful than Facebook and twitter.
Have a great day!

Posted by: Winna at January 17, 2012 8:26 AM

I am so addicted to Pinterest! It's a great way to keep track of things I want to buy or do to the house without bookmarking a ton of sites and them having the links fail. At least this way I always have that picture. Have found some great recipes on there too!

I never really got into google+...joined, posted once or twice...Twitter had me for awhile. But it's just impossible to keep up with it unless you are monitoring it 24/7.

Posted by: Lisa at January 17, 2012 8:27 AM

Like you, Google + and Twitter are passe. I just pinned you so I will have to step up or find myself Pinterestingly dull!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 17, 2012 8:49 AM

Okay, you got me: I'd like an invite. It looks like fun. Hopefully it'll hold my interest longer than Facebook. I don't post there too often; when I do think about updating my status, I always think better of it because I kinda sound like an asshole.

Not that that's stopping other people. ;-)

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 17, 2012 9:17 AM

Chris, I followed you, but do not in any way feel it necessary to follow me back. I tend to pin makeup, nail polish and recipes, so if that's not you're thing that's A-OK. :)

Posted by: Susan C at January 17, 2012 9:49 AM

My co-worker has been talking about Pinterest. My sister has been talking about Pinterest. Everywhere I turn lately I am hearing about Pinterest. So now I am super curious. I would like an invitation, please.

The only social media site I use is Facebook *and not very well.

Posted by: Kerry at January 17, 2012 10:14 AM

Never heard of this before. Looks interesting. Will look at it more later.

On Facebook, mostly to keep track of family. Hubby is trying to get me to join Google +.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 17, 2012 1:30 PM

Facebook, mostly, though I do have accounts at Google +, twitter, and Diaspora that I occasionally dust off. I have Pinterest too, but I haven't figured out yet what the heck I need it for. I've "pinned" a few things I like, some ideas for future home decor... mostly it seems like a waste of my time doing online window shopping. I'll eat those words in a year or two. I didn't frequent Facebook much when I first created an account. It was 'dead and boring'.

Posted by: Julee at January 17, 2012 1:49 PM

soooo, i started pinterest last winter and i can reassure you that the addiction part of it doesn't last forever (yay) but i am very OCD about my pins (just like every other aspect of my life, i guess). i only pin things of certain colors. and i like to space my b&w images and certain-color images appropriately apart so that when i look at my pins in total, they are acceptable to look at, hahaha. no one even cares but me! i guess i just want my giant pinterest board to be "pretty". i'm a nerd :)

i abandoned google+ as well (major cricket sounds every time i even look at it, and i hated how even though + promoted itself as being so superior when it came to privacy, i found that it exponentially multiplied the amount of stupid stuff that comes up when i google myself. like, every time i change my public profile pic now gets it's own google link? how asinine...).

never got into twitter. don't much care.

still use fb and i'm fine with it. in fact, i've noticed that my gmail acct is basically what my real mailbox used to be vs. my gmail when people actually sent emails. now i only get work emails and consumer emails and all actual socializing seems to happen on fb. isn't it funny how snail mailboxes actually lasted for a hundred years or something, but email only lasted about a decade or so? sorry, i'm rambling :)

Posted by: kati at January 17, 2012 1:58 PM

I check fb way more than what is good for me. I post on google+, not on facebook. I'm breaking up with twitter.

Pinterest doesn't need me!

Posted by: Heather at January 17, 2012 5:19 PM

Yup. Invite me, please!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 17, 2012 8:50 PM

I'm there and you're following me...but you don't know why you are or how you know me! The internet is fun.

Posted by: Ickaboo at January 17, 2012 9:56 PM

I'm a serious Facebook addict (although not to play games, just to keep up with people). I am trying to get into Twitter but I just don't seem to be able to stick with it. Hubby loves Google+ though and seldom uses anything else.

Posted by: Delia Spengler at January 18, 2012 4:47 AM

Please may I have an invite - I'm a Pinterest addict waiting to happen : )

Posted by: Jo MacD at January 19, 2012 7:04 PM

I'm a few days late on this, but I also think I'm a future Pintrest addict - I'd love an invite too!

Posted by: Maggie at January 22, 2012 12:56 PM

Is it too late to get a Pinterest invite. Would LOVE one, thanks!!

Posted by: Jessica at January 25, 2012 1:12 PM

If you have an invite to spare, I'd like one. I used Pinterest a lot to plan my kids' birthday party -- would be nice to participate as well.

Posted by: @MommysMinions at January 26, 2012 2:06 AM