January 25, 2012

The (Super) Powers That Be

Owen is obsessed with superheroes almost as much as he's obsessed with Star Wars. If there was a fictional universe in which superheroes, Jedi and Sith Lords co-existed, his head would explode.

The other day I asked him what his superpowers would be if he had them. He told me walking backwards. He'd be Walking Backwards Man. Apparently he and I need to do some brainstorming around the relative awesomeness of potential superpowers. I've already identified a few for myself.

Flying. I'd definitely like to fly. It would be awesome. Plus, I hate airplanes so I'm thinking that if I knew how to fly I could end up in Paris without starting to smoke again.

Hypnotism. I'd be able to hypnotize anyone, on sight. Using unparalleled mind control techniques, I'd turn bad guys into good, right wrongs, and force shitty drivers into giving up their licenses and buying bikes.

Singing. I realize it's not a superpower but every superhero has to have a real identity and mine would be a rock star. My voice would be an odd combination of Chris Cornell and Peter Gabriel. I would tour extensively but only when I wanted to and every fourth album I recorded would consist of covers of lesser-known, horribly underrated bands who needed the exposure.

Oh, and I'd poop money.

What would your superpowers be?

Posted by Chris at January 25, 2012 7:31 AM
Comments

Flying would freak me out.

I think I'd like adoptive muscle memory, magnetism or the power to control the weather ... or electricity ... or all of these. I think I'd like to be Rogue or Peter from Heroes before the show got crappy.

Posted by: Denise at January 25, 2012 8:16 AM

Flying would be the best. A close second would be finding lost things. I'd love to be able to touch someone and instantly know where their lost item or loved-one is. This is my most disturbing mental deficiency as I really hate losing things.

Posted by: Brad at January 25, 2012 10:41 AM

"Walking backwards" - Classic. :)

I think I'd teleport. Sure would save on traveling costs.

Posted by: Caleb at January 25, 2012 10:42 AM

I know it's not really the exact same thing . . .

But I want Hermoine Granger powers. And the time twister. And that purse!

Posted by: Mindy at January 25, 2012 12:42 PM

Maybe I'm focused on the wrong thing here, but I hope you wash your money before it goes into circulation.

And I'm totally calling your bathroom "The Bureau of Engraving and Printing" from now on.

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at January 25, 2012 2:22 PM

Ooooooh, pooping money. I'll call that one, too! In addition, some sort of mind reading. Like when you (or a girl rather) walk by a guy and want to know if he thinks your hot or not. Or you know, if you're going on a first date with someone (that's my evening tonight, heaven help us all) and want to know what they really think. Yep, those two would do it.

Posted by: Dianna at January 25, 2012 5:29 PM

I think if I were to have a super power - it would be to turn anything into the best tasting food out there. That way I would never be hungry and I could sell the food for some cash! I could run my very own restaraunt! hahaha

Posted by: Craig at January 25, 2012 8:06 PM

There's a guy that walks around my campus backwards - or so I hear. I've never actually seen him, but practically everyone else has (like Mr. Snuffleupagus, or Polkaroo).

Posted by: blepharisma at January 27, 2012 12:02 PM