January 6, 2012

The Weeklies #200

The Weekly Number. 200! Yep, it's the 200th episode of The Weeklies. You can't tell but I'm dressed in a tux drinking champagne at, what, 7:00 AM to celebrate. You'll just have to take my word for it.

The Weekly Read. I like Lisa Gardner. A lot. She writes some really solid mysteries and thrillers that don't read or feel manufactured and generic like so many do. The Neighbor is another great one featuring detective D.D. Warren. It's odd that what I liked so much about this book was the characterization of a little girl and her relationship with her dad. I have no idea of Gardner has kids but she clearly has a little girl somewhere in her life. She nailed the dialog, the attitude, and the little-kid elements.

The Weekly Ailment. My neck isn't working. I'm sure it's a combination of stress (you can't believe the week I've had) and sleeping in Owen's bed (it as a middle-of-the-night moment of weakness). But it hurts like hell.

The Weekly Podcast. Yeah, I keep running into things like work and work and even work that keep me from recording a podcast. I'll get back to that soon.

The Weekly Rude Awakening. Tuesday hit me like a ton of bricks. Goodbye holidays, welcome back real world. The only issue? I worked pretty steadily throughout the holidays. Big work project. That might kill me. Might.

The Weekly Questions. I have iTunes gift cards and no idea what to buy. So, what should be on my wish list?

Posted by Chris at January 6, 2012 8:00 AM
Comments

NO DYING.

Go get some goofy stuff from your college years that you secretly loved, but couldn't admit. I finally got some House of Pain, and I feel liberated.

Posted by: alektra at January 6, 2012 8:23 AM

Thanks for the mystery/thriller recommendation. I'll go back to #1 of her series. I've really dived back into reading this year and I'm loving it. I recently finished the Lomax and Biggs series after your recommendation, and absolutely loved it. How many times do you literally laugh out loud at a book? I do often with Karp's writing. And the acknowledgments at the end did happen to include a family I know, which was neat. :)

iTunes... well my last two purchases were Evanescence and Chevelle's new ones but I think our tastes vary slightly in music.

Posted by: Brad at January 6, 2012 10:10 AM

Since it is a gift card, get something completely out of your comfort zone. Who knows, you may discover a new type of music or a new group. You seem to have a wide range of musical interests, but go with something you would not usually buy and see what happens.

Posted by: Krush at January 6, 2012 11:01 AM

Itunes: If you like rock leaning alt. country at all, check out Rob Russell & The Sore Losers on iTunes. Rob is a friend of mine...

I hate this stretch of the year - Jan 3 to Memorial Day with a holiday. You probably get MLK and President's Day though...

Posted by: COD at January 6, 2012 12:21 PM

I wish I had an iTunes gift card! You could use yours to buy a song or two off my wish list. ;-P Being as our musical tastes are so similar, you could buy YOU something off my wish list. Although, at the moment, it's primarily random "hits" of the late 80s-early 90s as I'm trying to recreate tapes I recorded from the radio at that time.

Posted by: Brooke at January 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Anything Beatles is a good bet!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 6, 2012 3:05 PM

Wishlist? Black Lab

My current fav

Posted by: Dee at January 7, 2012 8:42 AM

We Were Promised Jetpacks put out a new album a few months back. It's pretty darn good. If you don't already own their first one, though, I'd spend my money there. It's so good, I feel like I should have to pay for it all over again when I listen.

Posted by: Seeking elevation at January 7, 2012 9:15 AM

Posted by: seeking elevation at January 7, 2012 9:17 AM

You should really checkout the crazy awesome amazing sax-ness of Colin Stetson!!!

BUT even better is 31 Knots newest album Trump Harm. Although their album before that is awesome too... Worried Well.

You could also checkout La Dispute's newest Wildlife.

Posted by: LittleFrew at January 9, 2012 1:13 AM