January 27, 2012

The Weeklies #202

The Weekly Mental State. Frazzled (which is rare) and confused (which is not).

The Weekly Beer. Centennial IPA.

The Weekly Read. Ed McBain's 50+ volume 87th Precinct series has been recently reprinted. Now, I'd never read anything by McBain but I figured I should give him a shot. I'm so glad I did. The Con Man was a great police procedural but what's more remarkable is the wonder way in which is was written. McBain had a fantastic sense of humor that he wrapped around his stories though that humor didn't detract from the seriousness of the stories or the people in them. It was a brief book but he painted his characters so wonderfully I can see how they compelled people to read 50 novels about them. This is a fantastic book. I'm already reading my second.

The Weekly Music. Remember Nada Surf? No? You should. They just released their latest, the wonderfully titled The Stars Are Indifferent To Astronomy. It's chock full of alt-goodness. It's got hooks aplenty and is smart (though not quite Hold Steady or Fountains of Wayne smart). Define thumbs up.

The Weekly Television Addiction. Restaurant Impossible.

The Weekly Quote. "Even when there's a fire in Mitt Romney, it's just a weird electrical fire." - John Stewart

The Weekly Question. Do you know of any way to insert more hours in the day? Please?

Posted by Chris at January 27, 2012 7:25 AM
Comments

I've found that randomly setting your clocks back works wonders for extending the day. :)

Posted by: J at January 27, 2012 8:48 AM

My husband LOVES Centenial IPA. His other favorite right now is Bell's Hopslam. The restaurant where we ate last night had it on tap and I'm pretty sure he nearly died and went to heaven.

I don't yet know how to insert more hours into the day, but would like the ability only if I could move them around a little. For example, if I needed more time at work one day, then I could put them there, but then if I wanted more time at home with the kids another day I could put them in the evening. As long as I didn't need any more sleep to function in a longer day, then that would be perfect.

Posted by: Jessie at January 27, 2012 9:46 AM

Nope, but right now, I would love more sleep at night!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 27, 2012 10:16 AM

The only way I know to insert more hours is to sleep less. So far I've been sustaining that for 5 years (yay, kids!!).

Posted by: Jodi Lea at January 27, 2012 11:42 AM

I don't want more hours in the day please. If there were more hours, my boss would want me to do more work!

One of my favorite Jon Stewart lines this week! Awesome!

Happy weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at January 27, 2012 2:44 PM

that weekly quote is amazing.

Posted by: kati at January 27, 2012 4:53 PM

I am also addicted to Restaurant : Impossible. That muscley, underbite-y English guy gets me every time. "FIGURE IT OUT!" Did you see the one with the soup kitchen? That's my favorite so far :)

Posted by: Angela at January 30, 2012 2:12 AM

Chris, if you enjoyed the McBain book that you read, especially his humor, you should definitely read his "Downtown." It's terrific and hilarious (and also an 87th precinct book).

Posted by: jhw at February 2, 2012 12:46 AM