January 5, 2012

Weird Habit

I have a weird habit. When I'm working - on the phone, reviewing something, whatever - I find a piece of scrap paper. I rip off a piece, roughly square, maybe an inch or so by an inch or so. Then I roll it up between my thumb and index finger. I roll it over and over again until I'm pretty convinced it's stuck that way, like I had a paper fusion superpower (which, by the way, would be the lamest superpower ever). I do this until it completely falls apart (which they inevitably do) or I lose it (which is what usually happens).

I'm not sure why I do it. I'll chalk it up to a nervous habit. Let's face it - I don't have a lot of vices left. I don't smoke (I quit that almost seven years ago). I can't drink (that's generally frowned upon during the work day). Chewing gum makes me more nervous, not less. I don't have enough room in my office for midget tossing (plus? loud!).

What are your weird habits? Come on, spill.

Posted by Chris at January 5, 2012 7:09 AM
Comments

I'm a notorious paper clip straightener. When I'm on long calls where I don't have to take notes, I'll play with and end up destroying paper clips.

I feel so much better having confessed this.

Posted by: Susan at January 5, 2012 10:24 AM

"Always shake two aspirins out of the bottle" is the lamest superpower ever. Followed closely by "Ability to speak with corn".

I don't have weird habits, I'm stuck with lame superpowers instead. :-)

Posted by: LeSombre at January 5, 2012 10:39 AM

I like to pace when I'm on a phone call that requiresd my active participation.

I also keep a Slinky on my desk,and I play with it when I'm bored on conference calls or webinars.

PS - Play with my slinky is not a euphemism for anything. I have an actual old school metal slinky.

Posted by: COD at January 5, 2012 11:30 AM

I doodle all over a piece of paper. it keeps me focused on the meeting for some odd reasonn.

Posted by: charlene at January 5, 2012 12:24 PM

When I concentrate really hard, I do the Charlie Brown tongue thing...you know, where the tip of the tongue hangs out of the edge of his mouth.

Posted by: Krush at January 5, 2012 2:55 PM

I apparently have this strange finger tapping habit that drives my husband batty, and the reason I know this is that he stares like a lunatic at my hands when I do it. It's not like finger tapping on a table...it's just me tapping my thumb to each finger....silent but apparently quite annoying.

And I smile with evil pride when I see my daughter doing it now too....:P)

Posted by: Jenn at January 5, 2012 6:59 PM

While on conference calls, I take 1x1 post-it notes, and slide the sticky side between my keyboard, capturing any lint or debris that falls in between the keys. It's a very satisfying fishing expedition. You should try it. It works better on a regular desktop keyboard, versus a laptop keyboard.

Posted by: mmpotter at January 6, 2012 9:32 PM