February 7, 2012

Note To Self (Memory Like A...Like A...)

I went to the office on Friday to pick something up. Then I headed to another office to do some work. After I picked up that particular something I returned to the parking garage...and totally fucking lost my car. I wandered around the parking garage for fifteen minutes. It was pathetic. I looked like the best dressed crazy homeless drunk guy ever, occasionally muttering to my suit and tie-wearing self where the fuck is my car?

Eventually I found it.

I returned to that same office today to drop aforementioned picked-up thing. I wrote myself a note.

notetoself.jpg

A long, long time ago, I lamented the fact that I had fallible parents who forgot incredibly important things like the planet that Spock came from or how come the Thompson Twins could be twins when one was obviously black and the other, well, wasn't. But now I understand. You get older and you forget stuff.

It's happening to me more often. Walking through the parking garage muttering to myself I wondered if maybe I had some sort of issue. I haven't come to any conclusions yet. But if I post the same entry tomorrow or a week from now, you'll have your answer.

Posted by Chris at February 7, 2012 8:20 AM
Comments

Cameraphones....I'd be completely lost without mine! When I know I'm going to forget where I park (you think this would be a trigger to help me REMEMBER) I take a picture of my car and what's around it. This only works when people don't leave before me if I'm using their car as a landmark :)

We're getting old Mr. Cactus. Scary!

Posted by: Kellie at February 7, 2012 9:22 AM

I don't even want to go there. My forgetfulness is so bad. I recently lost a magnifier at Christmas and only last week found it!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 7, 2012 9:34 AM

I hope you won't be upset that I find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one.

BTW, finding lost parking spaces? I've got an app for that, believe it or not.

Posted by: Martin at February 7, 2012 9:52 AM

I had my 36th birthday a couple of days ago and I am really disappointed that my memory has already started to fail me. I'm great at work things, but I often get to the top of the stairs and think, "what was the other reason I came up here? I know there were two reasons. DAMMIT!"

Posted by: Brad at February 7, 2012 9:56 AM

My husband made me a tile for our kitchen last week that says "make sure the stove is off." I never used to forget stuff like that, now I do it ALL THE TIME. Not just the oven - the burners, too. Yikes!

Posted by: akofaolain at February 7, 2012 9:57 AM

What happens when you "misplace" you phone? ;-)

Posted by: LeSombre at February 7, 2012 11:26 AM

Last time I flew out of Dulles, I parked in, say, section Q in long-term parking. I took the stupid little card from the bus stop and everything! Little did I know, there was more than one stop for that section, and I got off on the wrong one on my way back. I must have wandered around that damned section for half an hour hitting the alarm button on my remote trying to find my car, dragging my suitcase behind me the whole way.

Posted by: Jaime at February 7, 2012 12:12 PM

Now I'm picturing you in that episode of Seinfeld where they're all lost for hours in the parking garage at the mall. Hope you didn't have a goldfish in a bag of water with you and I REALLY HOPE you didn't urinate in a corner, because that could get you in trouble. Wait, are you writing this from jail?

Posted by: Procrastamom at February 7, 2012 12:26 PM

alzheimer's and dementia really run in my family... and i am super spacey already. but now every time i forget something, i think it must be the beginning of the end :p

Posted by: kati at February 7, 2012 2:15 PM

True story. I left a lunch meeting at a hotel/casino. Went to the parking garage, couldn't find my car. Called security in tears, and they drove me around in the security truck in search of my car. It was gone. The sweet security officer invited me inside to call the police, look at security tapes, etc., etc.

I go in with him, get into his office, and he asks for my driver's license for their records. As I am pulling out my wallet, I find it. The valet ticket.

I had valet parked my car.

My boys can tell you what they ate for dinner 7 months ago on the 3rd Sunday of the month. I can't tell you what I ate for dinner last night. Despite eating the leftovers for lunch today.

Posted by: Mindy at February 7, 2012 11:09 PM

Oh the stories my hubby could tell you about my forgetfulness... and I am younger than he is! Two of his favourites include the time I spent about 5 minutes looking for the padlock to the garage door, only to find it in the sliding latch of said garage door where I had put it when I unlocked the thing. The other one is about the day I called him to the kitchen to tell him out washer-dryer was not working. I showed him what that look, it won't switch on. He looked at me and politely pointed out (before he laughed at me) that it would help if I actually pressed the power button instead of the start cycle button. Bear in mind that this is the very same washer-dryer I have used day in, day out at least twice a day for nearly 5 years.

Posted by: Delia at February 8, 2012 4:47 AM

My husband has a "Dude, where's my car?" app on his phone to avoid just this problem. I have begun sending myself emails about things I am sure I will forget by the time I get home. This does not help me at all when I walk across teh room and forget why I am there.

Posted by: Annie at February 9, 2012 5:40 PM