February 2, 2012

Shirt Whore

When it comes to clothes, I'm not hard to please. If it's comfortable and doesn't look like it came out of the 70s, I'm good with it. As I type this, for example, every stich I have on minus my fading Obama '08 t-shirt came from Target.

There's one thing I can't go cheap on. Work shirts. There are few clothing items for men in which quality makes a true difference. Shirts are definitely one.

My place of work is a little on the formal side. Like suits-and-ties formal. And as it turns out, I'm a sucker for a nice shirt. It's not a luxury. It's a necessity. The only issue is that the shirts I like are apparently spun from gold thread mined by fairies and washed with the tears of magical orphans. Because they're fucking expensive. So much so that I make my tastes well-known then hope for the best when Christmas or my birthday or an especially bountiful Arbor Day rolls around.

What can't you skimp on?

Posted by Chris at February 2, 2012 7:49 AM
Comments

Grey Goose Vodka. No mixers, no fruit, just vodka and a little frozen water.

Posted by: Dawn at February 2, 2012 8:15 AM

Tea. Beer.

Posted by: COD at February 2, 2012 9:49 AM

I eat a lot of peanut butter so that I can buy clothes from Anthropologie - I understand! And not to assist your addiction or anything, but a family friend married into the family that owns the Ben Silver company. Talk about expensive men's shirts!

Posted by: Heather at February 2, 2012 10:21 AM

I don't skimp on electronics. It'a Apple all the way, in spite of the expense. Using anything else makes me feel like a 17 year old who put a big-ass spoiler on his dad's old Impala in an attempt to look and feel badass. There's no replacement for good design.

Out of curiosity, I'd love to know where you get these magical shirts. I've yet to find any place that'll sell me something that actually fits, and I don't think I'm all THAT weirdly shaped.

Posted by: martin at February 2, 2012 10:52 AM

This is a weird one, but bras. They do so much for a girl, you gotta get a good one (and get fitted properly too!) Probably TMI...

Posted by: Tai at February 2, 2012 1:41 PM

Egads. So many things I can't skrimp on. Like you, I have to look professional now - I switched from working in the corporate offices of a packaging company to working in a law firm, so I can't get by with the occasional frumpy outfit, so clothing matters. Makeup. I won't wear cheap. Skin care. Ditto. Shoes. Et cetera.

Posted by: Julee at February 2, 2012 1:47 PM

My husband said he'd rather drive an entry level Mercedes than a top of the line hyundai. So it would have to be cars, we don't skimp on cars.

Posted by: NancyB at February 2, 2012 2:44 PM

Vacations, beer and food.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 3, 2012 12:26 AM

Makeup. Can't go cheap in that department.

Posted by: Dianna at February 3, 2012 1:35 PM