February 6, 2012

The Big Game

Any Superbowl is analyzed against three main criteria - the game, the commercials and the halftime show. And while the commercials are clearly the most important, all three come together to determine an equally weighted Incredibly Scientific Superbowl Scoring Methodology.

The Game. The game was actually pretty decent. Not mind-blowingly intense until the end but being that it's pretty much the only football I watch all year, it held my interest. Five out of ten possible points.

The Commercials. Let me say it clearly. The commercials sucked. I mean, really and truly bit. There were maybe one or two memorable ones but I'd already seen them. They'd lost the element of surprise. It was a waste of time and money, from a marketing perspective. One out of ten possible points.

The Halftime Show. The heavily lip-synced halftime extravaganza looked cool but it was so not. By the end, I was left thinking about how cool Cee Lo Green was (not Madonna), reminded how absolutely mediocre Madonna's lyrics are, and startled by how inappropriate it was for a woman Madonna's age to be doing what she did on stage. Yes, I'm getting old. But so is Madonna. Three out of ten possible points, and I think that's generous.

The Verdict. Out of thirty possible points, this Superbowl gets a whopping nine.

Okay, so, how many of you watched The Big Game last night? And how many of you thought it lived up to the hype?

Posted by Chris at February 6, 2012 7:51 AM
Comments

I loved the game, we watch football alot in my house. It was a good game to watch.

The commercials did suck this year, worst ever.

Madonna...yuck. Watching Steven Tyler in the sky box could have been more entertaining. Does she work cheap?

Can't wait for the 2012-13 season to start. Football should be year around, all other sports are inferior. ;)

Posted by: linda at February 6, 2012 8:56 AM

I watch a lot of football, typically, but just couldn't get into the Superbowl this year. And the "I just watch for the commercials" bit didn't land, since I can just watch them online over the course of this week. Instead, we watched the Puppy and Kitten Bowls on Animal Planet instead. Once again, 2-year old in charge of the remote.

Posted by: J at February 6, 2012 9:30 AM

I think Madonna should've cut about 2 inches off of her boots. The whole time she looked like she was REALLY afraid of falling down.

Posted by: Jaime at February 6, 2012 9:41 AM

As a lifelong Patriots fan, I found the ending of the game less than satisfying.

As a music fan, I left the room and heard / saw none of the halftime show.

Agree that the commercials sucked.

Posted by: COD at February 6, 2012 10:34 AM

I watched... and felt kind of the same way as you did. The game was better than decent - I actually watched it this year - usually, I just watch for the commercials.
The half time show - meh - Not terrible, but I find it hard to believe that there are NO good singing acts ANYWHERE available to SING at the Super Bowl... really?
Commercials - Usually the reason I watch. This year, not so much. I liked the doritos commercial with the dog... that was funny. And I'm always a fan of the etrade baby... but other than that, kinda sad.

Posted by: Kim at February 6, 2012 11:15 AM

OMG! I thought the exact same thoughts, particularly about Madonna. I had a friend mention that she was fully clothed, for a change... but I said that didn't make up for her ..... actions on stage. A lot of kids watch the superbowl, and I happen to think it gets less and less family friendly every year.

The commercials sucked as well... so many sexual overtones, and well, outright in your face sexuality... totally inappropriate.

And, my team lost.

I think your score of 9/30 is generous....

Posted by: 3jaysmom at February 6, 2012 1:57 PM

So I agree with you except on two points you make.

1. The game, you say "actually pretty decent" and "held my interest", but you only gave it a 5/10? What more did you want to only give a 5/10? I mean, it's not a Hollywood scripted game.

2. And the halftime show, I think you were a little tough on Madge. The show, as a whole, had some cool effects. Yeah, she's definitely old and I think they slowed the songs down so she could keep up with the choreography. But she still has presence.

Yeah, those commercials were bad. Although, what struck my most about them was how American they were. The GE ones, the budweiser decades, the Detroit one, all of the US auto cars, there was even a Union commercial. Very full of American workmanship and pride. That was kind of cool to see. But from an entertainment perspective--ugh.

I must comment on the announcing. Surely NBC MUST have better broadcasting talent. Yikes.

Posted by: laurs at February 6, 2012 9:00 PM