February 3, 2012

The Weeklies #203

The Weekly Beer. Heavy Seas Pale Ale.

The Weekly Read. Last week I read my first Ed McBain book. This week I read my second - Killer's Choice. And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be the proud owner and reader of all McBain's 50+ 87th Precinct novels. They're stupendous. He writes a damn fine book with a compelling cast of characters. It doesn't hurt that the mysteries are good.

The Weekly Television Cock Block. We ran out of Breaking Bad. Sadness ensued.

The Weekly Podcast. No music this week but I did manage to discover a damn fine podcast. While nothing could be better than The Mike O'Meara Show, the Mike & Tom Eat Snacks Podcast is pretty damn awesome. It's pretty much what it sounds like - Michael Ian Black (who's appeared on damn near everything) and Tom Cavanagh (you might remember him from TV's Ed) eat a snack and talk about it. I know, it sounds moronic but these guys are funny and totally worth a listen.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. The Susan G. Komen fund shot itself in the foot this week, severing ties to Planned Parenthood. What happened? Celebrities and other activists severed ties to the Susan G. Komen fund, instead directing donations to Planned Parenthood. Donations skyrocketed in spectacular fashion.

The Weekly Question. Who does the most good? What charity to you feel is most deserving of your money?

Posted by Chris at February 3, 2012 7:13 AM
Comments

I know the Breaking Bad withdrawal. It gets better with time, I promise.

As for charities? I tend to give to local charities that have low overhead so that my money does the most good. Also, I give forcibly to every fund-raiser my kids come home with. Blood sucking public schools. (Just kidding, I know how strapped for cash they are.)

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 3, 2012 7:48 AM

I'm with Elizabeth above. I tend to give to local causes because huge charities have such enormous overhead and are paying 6 figure salaries to their CEO's, it's hard to imagine where my money actually goes. I'll give to local funds where people are raising money for medical costs or their home burned down..then I now my money is going directly to the people who need it.

Posted by: Lisa at February 3, 2012 7:53 AM

It's funny you mentioned the Heavy Seas Pale Ale - my co-workers son is going to be working in their resteraunt as one of the cooks when it opens in Baltimore! And my other co-workers boyfriend was the one who created the sign for the resteraunt. I've never had their beer - just thought it was kind of funny when I saw that's what you've been drinking. =)

Posted by: Kim at February 3, 2012 10:09 AM

My biggest donations every year go to the Connecticut Food Bank. Local and where it's needed most.

Posted by: NancyB at February 3, 2012 10:29 AM

Because we're not at all religious, we lean towards secular charities that don't spend any money proselytizing, they simply help people in need. My favourites are Kiva (micro-loans), The Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders and Oxfam. I'm also a big fan of the Planned Parenthood-like organizations in Canada.

Posted by: Procrastamom at February 3, 2012 1:25 PM

Doh! I meant non-secular...haven't had any coffee since I got to the office. Heading to the kitchen stat!

Posted by: Procrastamom at February 3, 2012 1:26 PM

Clearly, you know I'm going to start this with: Where's my podcast?

We donate to Covenant House. No one really worries about teens on the street. Drives me insane. When I heard Obama's talk about wanting to raise the mandatory age of school to 18, I almost cried in relief. Now if only 18 was required for foster care...

Posted by: alektra at February 3, 2012 1:57 PM

The Salvation Army. They give back all of the money they receive, whether it is in their soup kitchens, clothing, toy drives, etc. They're truly good people.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 3, 2012 6:58 PM

I meant to leave this comment on the previous Friday, but I forgot. You should definitely read all the 87th precinct books. You won't be disappointed. One of my favorites is "Ghosts" because it's just a little different than the others.

Posted by: akofaolain at February 6, 2012 10:14 AM