February 17, 2012

The Weeklies #204

The Weekly Unsexy Purchase. New siding for the house! Seriously, the place looks 1,000 times better.

The Weekly Read. Hallgrimur Helgason's The Hitman's Guide to House Cleaning was a wonderful book. It started slow for me and I worried how it would evolve. I wanted it to be more than a silly tale of an Eastern European hitman who found himself running from his bosses and impersonating a priest in Iceland. And I got more. It was a stunningly great, refreshing book that I didn't want to end.

The Weekly Beer. Acme IPA.

The Weekly TV Obsession. I'll admit it. After the first two episodes of The River I'm hooked. I just hope they didn't shoot their wad on the first two hours. If they did I'll be pissed. It has real, creepy potential.

The Weekly Music. I think my epistle on Van Halen pretty much covered me this week.

The Weekly Loser. I'm going to go with Rick Santorum just because. It seems like an obvious choice.

The Weekly Reminder That I'm Old. I took some work people out for a happy hour. It just so happens that they're all significantly younger than I. We talked about television shows when we were growing up. They were all Power Rangers and cable and I was all Scooby Doo and four, maybe five channels.

The Weekly Question. What was your go-to show as a kid?

Posted by Chris at February 17, 2012 7:50 AM
Comments

I wasn't much of a Saturday morning cartoon kid. The only show I remember being something I sat down to watch every week was "Dukes of Hazzard". I loved them Duke boys. Especially Beau. Or Bo? Don't know how they spelled it down there in Georgia. Also, I used to beg my parents to let me stay up and watch the opening credits of "Dallas". I was an unabashed Cowboys fan (and living in the town and playing in the park where the 49ers practiced), and I loved seeing that aerial shot of Texas Stadium painted up with the Cowboys' logo.

Posted by: Brooke at February 17, 2012 11:32 AM

Oh Man! Batman comes to mind when I was really young - The Adam West series. It was always a 2-parter.
In my impressionable tween years it was Brady Bunch (I was definitely a "Jan"), Partridge Family (was there an american tween who was NOT in love with David Cassidy?), and the Bobby Sherman show (at least I think he briefly had his own show). Anything with handsome boys/men and I was watching.

Posted by: NancyB at February 17, 2012 11:34 AM

The Flintstones, and The Jetsons.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 17, 2012 11:57 AM

I don't think I'm at all old, but those kind of conversations depress me a little. I'm schooling my kids on my childhood faves: He-Man, She-Ra, throw in some GI joe from the hubs ... I did not have cable until I went to college (tho many friends did), so re-runs on UHF channels of shows like Batman, Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island were faves when i'd stay home sick. Ah, memories!

Posted by: Kate at February 17, 2012 4:43 PM

I don't have near the time to read and comment as I once did. And that makes me sad.

And see, I'm loving the new Van Halen album. I never liked Sammy Hagar much (except I do love everything about his birthday in Cabo San Lucas and Cabo Wabo, he's a fun guy) so I've not picked up Chicken Foot - but we are singing along to the new Van Halen album (cd, mp3, what the hell ever) and enjoying it. Perhaps because it's a reminder of years ago. Now, I make unsexy purchase like new flooring, and like you, I'm excited. I'd rather have a cold beer and rock out to an album and pretend in my world, Mom and Dad still take care of that stuff.

Also. You shouldn't contribute to the delinquency of minors. Power Rangers. Eye Roll. My go-to cartoon was old school Tom and Jerry. It was on every day after school. And when I was 8 - my world forever changed when Thundercats (HOOOOOO!) came on. Schnarf!

I can't get my head around Owen being 4. That means I've read your blog for over 4 years. I started reading right around the time that the bugger was due. That's cuh-razy. (My oldest is ALMOST 14 and my "baby" is 9. I'll be in the corner clutching vodka.)

Happy President's Day Weekend!

Posted by: Mindy at February 17, 2012 7:27 PM

Scooby Doo - hands down.

Posted by: akofaolain at February 21, 2012 11:20 AM

Ne pas le faire "grande fille", l'amour de l . a . «petite fille». Nouvelle année, nouveau départ, belle fille espiègle Serve faire semblant d'être effectué à l . a . cid! L . a . crème glacée et bonbons à mettre sur le corps, des couleurs vives et le type sont douces notre préféré! Items de couleur, des estampes, des puddings sens en peluche de l . a . pregnancy et l . a . forme des animaux mignon avec l . a . tendance des éléments, ce qui porte l'enfant et plein de temperature ranges l'enfance strange!http://www.achetepoloralphlauren.org

Posted by: ralph lauren at February 24, 2012 10:50 PM