February 23, 2012

Things Rick Said

I know I don't have to do this but I feel I should. Why? Because I'm mystified by Rick Santorum's success. Judge for yourselves with things Rick actually said.

"I love it when the left and when the president say, 'Don't try to impose your values on us, you folks who hold your Bibles in your hand and cling to your guns.' They have values too. Our values are based on religion, based on life. Their values are based on a religion of self."

"Isn't that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?"

"One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be."

“If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. Does that undermine the fabric of our society? I would argue yes, it does. It all comes from, I would argue, this right to privacy that doesn’t exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution."

"I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money; I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money."

“In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.”

"Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?"

“The most dangerous place for an African-American in this country is in the womb.”

“There are people who were gay and lived the gay lifestyle and aren’t anymore. I don’t know if that’s the similar situation or that’s the case for anyone that’s black. It’s a behavioral issue as opposed to a color of the skin issue, and that’s the diff for serving in the military.”

"The idea that man, through the production of CO2 — which is a trace gas in the atmosphere, and the man-made part of that trace gas is itself a trace gas — is somehow responsible for climate change is, I think, just patently absurd when you consider all the other factors.”

“The reason Social Security is in big trouble is we don’t have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion.”

“The idea is that the state doesn’t have rights to limit individuals’ wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.”

This can't happen, right? Please, talk me down off the ledge.

Posted by Chris at February 23, 2012 7:27 AM
Comments

I don't get it, it's a joke right? I can't comprehend why women especially are not up in arms over the things this douchebag says I know women who SUPPORT him fully? I have no respect for any woman who supports him.. He makes Sarah Palin look competent.

Posted by: Lisa at February 23, 2012 7:53 AM

Also, those crazy Duggars support him..so...yeah..

He should just become minister of a church. he has no thoughts on education, Iran, Korea, the economy.....is our population really that dumb to support him? ANd have the GOP candidates really had 20 debates? What could they possibly debate so many times?

Posted by: Lisa at February 23, 2012 7:58 AM

Reading all of these quotes all together is just proof that common sense is not common at all. You think, "Oh, this can't happen, everyone must see right through that bs, right?" And then you look around and realize, "Dear God, people are actually supporting him? What the eff, people?"

My hubby has some crazy religious-political family members who are always posting shit on Facebook and I don't read most of it, but then I realize that a post has 40-some comments by nutjobs who agree with them and it scares the hell out of me.

Posted by: Leah at February 23, 2012 8:22 AM

35% of the population will vote for whoever has an "R" next to their name. No matter what. If Santorum gets the nomination he'll lose huge. 1/3 of the population has always been this crazy. It's just that prior to blogs and Facebook, we could mostly avoid them.

Posted by: COD at February 23, 2012 8:37 AM

The better he does in the primary the more nervous I get. I keep telling myself that if he gets the nomination he will lose but it is still very scary to me that he could get this far.

Posted by: beth anne at February 23, 2012 9:23 AM

Republicans of late have made my head spin, trying to figure out how they even get an audience, when they can't open their mouths without something incredibly stupid coming out. I'm a registered Democrat, but consider myself a moderate, really, and I vote how I please. I still hadn't fully decided who I was going to vote for in the last election prior to running mates being chosen. McCain lost my vote when he chose Palin. Pure and simple. My vote was more against the horrifying possibility of her you betcha-ing her way into the presidency should something happen to McCain, than it was for Obama himself. But then again, had this happened... she'd have quit on us by now...

Posted by: Julee at February 23, 2012 9:27 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. How can people actually support someone like this? (Although, admittedly, I have some religious-right members in my family who are embarrassingly pro Santorum.)

The hopeful thought I have is that the Republicans will continue the in-fighting and split their decisions, which will set up President Obama for a 2nd term.

I have been trying to be a fact checker and still come up with the fact that although President Obama's administration has not made the leaps of progress he had hoped (and indeed alluded to as promises during the campaign), the bottom line is things ARE improving. Just slower than everyone hoped.

And while I'm at it, GWB had just as large increases in gas prices (percentage wise)under his administration as they are blaming the incumbent for. Its all relative.... and people need to check the facts before they go tooting someones horn blindly!

Lets hope that the Republicans continue to act like toddlers and obliterate their chances in November!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at February 23, 2012 9:27 AM

This is the bit that got me:
"There are people who were gay and lived the gay lifestyle and aren’t anymore. I don’t know if that’s the similar situation or that’s the case for anyone that’s black."
He obviously isn't familiar with the Michael Jackson story...
From here in Europe, news of the US election is very sparse and we don't get much of a chance to "get to know" the candidates. I've read various tweets and FB posts about the potential scariness of Santorum but this is the first time I've actually come into contact with what he says. And wow. Just, wow.
The upcoming (May!) French election has nothing like this (and there are extreme right-wingers here too, just not the same style at all)!

Posted by: Kirsty at February 23, 2012 9:58 AM

I'm afraid I'm on the ledge with you ....

Posted by: Heather at February 23, 2012 10:11 AM

I'm starting to be alarmed. I thought there was no way George W. Bush could be elected either. Rick is in his own world. Someone with such extreme views shouldn't get this far, I find it astonishing and troubling.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 23, 2012 10:42 AM

Eh, 30% of Republicans like this guy. That's not even close to a majority of Americans. If the R's actually nominate him for President, they've shot themselves in the foot and have proven themselves stupid. Obama can basically pop the champagne and celebrate victory outside the Republican convention.

I'm not getting my panties in a wad because there are religious extremists in our country. They're a dying breed.

Posted by: Laura Gato at February 23, 2012 11:42 AM

Kristy, I don't think there's anything quite like American politics and I think the rest of the world can be grateful for that.

Rick Santorum frightens me, because W. got elected. Twice. Not that he was as batshit crazy as Santorum appears to be, but the electorate is not as thoughtful as I would like, and anything - ANYTHING - is possible in American politics.

Posted by: Brooke at February 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Just reading all these quotes in one place... it makes me ANGRY. I don't understand it either. *shakes head* I just don't get it.

Posted by: Manda at February 23, 2012 12:48 PM

i am plotting my escape of this country. the GOP cesspool is terrifying.

Posted by: kati at February 23, 2012 1:02 PM

"The DANGERS of contraception in our society"?? - the man needs to be time warped back to the 50s.

He is definitely scary. I have trouble reading articles about him because he's so off base.

Posted by: NancyB at February 23, 2012 1:12 PM

And, you missed the most offensive one! When he was talking to a sick child and his mother about healthcare costs and made the statement that:

"People have no problem going out and buying an iPad for $900," he said. "But paying $900 for a drug, they have a problem with it. It keeps you alive. Why? Because you have been conditioned to thinking that health care is something that you should get and not have to pay for. Drug companies, health care companies need to have a profit motive, because if they don't, then how are we going to regulate costs? We are gonna ration care."

Seriously! He compares medication to an iPad (and he doesn't even do enough research to know the price of one!!) Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wE_L1fRr_E

Please Republicans do not make this man President...I had to live with him as a Senator of my state and we're still recovering!!!

Posted by: Krush at February 23, 2012 1:37 PM

I want to put some of your fears to rest with the following:

"Meghan McCain: Rick Santorum would face blood bath against Obama"

Even people from his own party don't believe in him (read the part about the popcorn, tis my favourite). Santorum as the Republican candidate is a win for Obama. Go Santorum!!!

Posted by: Procrastamom at February 23, 2012 1:49 PM

All the republicans I know cannot stand Santorum. I don't know where he's getting his support. As a republican, I promise you, Chris, I will NOT be voting for Santorum. I plan on voting for someone a lot more sane than santorum.

I'm writing in Sarah Palin.

(totally kidding)

Posted by: Kim at February 23, 2012 3:05 PM

My brain hurts.

Posted by: Jess at February 23, 2012 5:21 PM

I think we're being Punk'd and we're due for a big fat 'GOTCHA!!!!'.

Posted by: Rebecca at February 23, 2012 7:16 PM

Absolutely batshit.

There's no way. No. Way. this can happen.

Posted by: Julie at February 23, 2012 8:25 PM

And according to Rick we practice mass murder in The Netherlands.....

Posted by: Nadine at February 24, 2012 2:57 AM

Ne pas le faire "grande fille", l'amour de l . a . «petite fille». Nouvelle année, nouveau départ, belle fille espiègle Serve faire semblant d'être effectué à l . a . cid! L . a . crème glacée et bonbons à mettre sur le corps, des couleurs vives et le type sont douces notre préféré! Items de couleur, des estampes, des puddings sens en peluche de l . a . pregnancy et l . a . forme des animaux mignon avec l . a . tendance des éléments, ce qui porte l'enfant et plein de temperature ranges l'enfance strange!http://www.achetepoloralphlauren.org

Posted by: ralph lauren at February 24, 2012 10:50 PM

He and his like have mind-boggling, terrifying beliefs.

My only consolation is that I actually hope he gets the nomination, because there's zero chance the American population would put him into office. I believe his nomination would guarantee the Democrats stay in office, and would also lose a lot of GOP candidates their seats in the House.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at February 26, 2012 9:45 AM