March 28, 2012

Baby Got Back

It was clear at 4:00 yesterday morning that I'd done something terrible to myself. I woke up, opened my eyes, and said - out loud - shit, this isn't good. Then I somehow managed to fall asleep. Until 6:00 at which time Owen woke up and demanded that I come and visit. I - the only correct word here is - shambled into his room, cuddled and, again, fell asleep. Until 7:00 when I woke up, stood up and realized that I couldn't, well, stand up.

Somehow in the middle of the night I sprained myself. These things can only happen when you're approaching a certain age.

I spent the majority of the day with a heating pad on my back, wincing in pain when I moved and self-medicating with liberal amounts of whining, Advil, heat, and beer (after 5:00). I am still hobbled. My back feels like James Caan's legs after Kathy Bates got done with them in Misery.

There's no rest for the weary though. Even the old and weary.

I'm not the only one who's body has started to betray them, right?

Posted by Chris at March 28, 2012 7:56 AM
Comments

Nope, you're not alone. I had no business having another baby at 40 and when she was still in her carseat I turned while carrying it and sprained my back real good. I was so scared because nothing like that had ever happened before. I still have lingering issues with my sciatic nerve because of it. With age comes wisdom, but unfortunately aches and pains too. Speedy recovery to you!

Posted by: amyd at March 28, 2012 8:30 AM

I'm getting to the point where it's easier to identify the body parts that DON'T hurt rather than the ones that do!

Posted by: Lisa at March 28, 2012 8:49 AM

Poor hobbled blogger. A few weeks ago, I pulled a muscle in my back. Don't ask me how; I don't regularly engage in activities that ask a lot of my muscles. Just one day, I sat up and it damn near killed me. I was fine after some painkillers and muscle relaxers, but I still don't know how it happened. Feel better soon!

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 28, 2012 9:17 AM

I'm 54 year old grandmother of two. Sometimes, being able to rise from the bed in the morning is my biggest challenge of the day.

Posted by: Julee at March 28, 2012 9:28 AM

I carried my books in a backpack/shoulder bag over my left shoulder all through college and law school... that shoulder hates me now. oy.

Posted by: Sue R at March 28, 2012 9:44 AM

I started training for a marathon, third run with the group, I badly did something to my knee, and I couldn't walk properly for a good month. Fast forward to 4 months later, with injury recovery, tried to train for a 10 miler, and again my knee gave out on me. I am only 27 and I am already feeling like I'm trapped in an aging body. I can't even sleep on a certain side of my body, without feeling achy in the mornings now. I can't run like I used to in high school injury free and no worries of aches and pains. heck in college I used to stay up all night, then go for a 6 am run almost every morning. Those days are lonngg gone. ha.

Posted by: Heather at March 28, 2012 9:54 AM

When I turned 40 I sprained my neck... while... sleeping. *facepalm*

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at March 28, 2012 10:01 AM

Nope. I ache every morning when I get up. It just never goes away. Hope yours gets better!

Posted by: Heather at March 28, 2012 10:28 AM

I blame year s of pretzel-like contorting to accommodate two kids in various beds thorughout the night. It is only surprising this doesn't happen more often to all of us! Feel better.

Posted by: rebecca at March 28, 2012 11:39 AM

My back is fine - it's my innards that started going to hell last years. This year, knock on wood, all is well.

Posted by: NancyB at March 28, 2012 1:05 PM

a few weeks ago, i SNIFFLED wrong and threw something out in my back so bad that i had debilitating spasms for days, if that gives you a laugh and makes you feel a little better! :)

Posted by: kati at March 28, 2012 2:52 PM