March 22, 2012

Phil Collins, Icebergs, and Jedi Robots

I'll admit it - Phil Collins is a hero of mine. Let's be honest. He drummed - then fronted and drummed for - one of the greatest bands of all time (before they went all commercial Top 40), launched a successful solo career while playing in an undercover jazz band, drummed for hundreds of fantastic musicians, played Live-Aid on two continents in a 24 hour period and remained a pretty cool, down to earth guy. Now he's largely dropped out of sight, choosing to pursue his primary interest in life. The Alamo. Yep, Phil is obsessed with The Alamo.

And, minus all successful music stuff, I can kinda understand since I've been obsessed with the Titanic for most of my life.

Last night, Owen and I were flipping through the latest pictures of the Titanic on my iPad. They're incredible - composite photos made up of hundreds of separate images stitched together to show what the Titanic as a whole looks like at the bottom of the sea. Owen wanted to know everything. And he has some theories about the Titanic's sinking.

Owen: Dad, dad, dad. I know what happened.
Me: Okay, tell me.
Owen: There was an iceberg and the driver wasn't looking so he hit his head on it and couldn't steer the ship so it sank.
Me: Amazingly, that's not too far off.
Owen: How did they take those pictures?
Me: They sent incredible submarines and robot cameras down to the bottom of the sea and took thousands of picture.
Owen: I know what kind of cameras!
Me: Robot cameras.
Owen: Jedi robot cameras.

There you have it. Though you'd think with the Force, they'd just lift the damn thing out of the water.

What have you been obsessed with?

Posted by Chris at March 22, 2012 7:00 AM
Comments

I was obsessed with the Titanic for a while as a kid. I'll also admit to an obsession with Lizzie Borden. I can't remember how old I was, but I read a book about her and the killings (there were pictures) and had nightmares forever, including some while I was awake :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 22, 2012 8:09 AM

I, too, am in love with all things Titanic. There's a huge exhibit coming here later this month, running thru this fall. The museum is only a few miles from where I live, I've already made plans to attend on many occassions.

Posted by: Dawn at March 22, 2012 9:11 AM

That's adorable. I love it when kids are curious and interested in the world. I suppose the only thing I've been really obsessed with (not counting any celebrity crushes as a teenager) is the musical WICKED. God, so awesome.

But speaking of obsessions, you really really really really need to at least check out this show called "My Secret Obsession." It airs on TLC -- I swear I wasn't watching that cesspool of a channel; I was flipping past and got sucked in. Normally I don't like watching shows highlighting how damn strange some people are, but I just got sucked in! I still can't get past the couple with thousands of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, one of which they call their son and take with them everywhere. They speak for him! They live in a tiny trailer so their "kids" can have a climate-controlled house! They have playdates with other doll-obsessed people and THEIR dolls! It is unreal.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 22, 2012 9:30 AM

Did you see there is going to be a Titanic miniseries? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(TV_series)

I'm sure you know about it. I've always found the titanic fascinating as well, nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Kris at March 22, 2012 10:38 AM

King Arthur. The Easter 1916 uprising of the Irish Republic (Seriously- I know those rebels like some people know their Presidents). Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The Loch Ness monster. King Arthur and Loch Ness are holdovers from childhood and I have grad school to thank for the Irish business. Buffy is all mine. Can't wait for my kids ot be old enough to watch it without having scary nightmares....

Posted by: rebeccaeee at March 22, 2012 11:13 AM

I am fascinated by the Titanic. Were you looking at the new National Geographic? Its cover story is the Titanic and the iPad version is hella-cool.

Posted by: Brooke at March 22, 2012 1:29 PM

I'm a WWII junkie.

For years and years and years, I've wanted to understand. What made Hitler a neurotic mess? What made people back him? How did he get that power? In the beginning, how did he get people to go along with him? How did he manage to turn an entire nation of people against a race? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I've finally reached the conclusion that I'll never know. But I keep reading, watching, researching. Wondering.

Posted by: Mindy at March 22, 2012 5:14 PM

Definitely the Holocaust. I'm obsessed, horrified, and perplexed by the strength of the human spirit and the ease in which others will follow a clearly evil human being. My children are also quasi-obsessed (16 & 13) and we have share some very in depth conversations about it. The stories of the Holocaust never cease to shock and amaze me.

Posted by: Jenn at March 22, 2012 5:33 PM

Watergate...it was happening while I was in elementary school...I started reading the newspaper early so I followed it but didn't really understand it and always wanted to - so I started reading all of the books!

Posted by: Sue R at March 23, 2012 10:59 AM

Tacos.

Seriously though, knowledge. I'll read anything about anything. I can't stop. It's a sickness of smart.

Posted by: Mel at March 27, 2012 1:09 PM