March 29, 2012

Public Outcry

Today I have a question with very little prose. I ask out of frustration. I'm tired of hearing about Skittles and ice tea, tired of Spike Lee posting addresses that implicate the wrong people, tired of hearing about the dangers of wearing a hoodie from pathetic excuses for journalists.

What should be done about Trayvon Martin?

Posted by Chris at March 29, 2012 7:44 AM
Comments

A grand jury should be convened, and shown the evidence, and if there is enough evidence, and indictment should be handed down. Then he should be arrested and tried. That is why we have a criminal justice system. Hey, I'm a lawyer. Let's use the system we have. As broken as it can be.

Now, Florida hasn't proven to be really good at this kind of thing. And their law really sucks. But they need to change that.

Posted by: jodifur at March 29, 2012 7:57 AM

Totally agree with the poster above. This case needs to be tried in court, not the media. And dear God this la needs to be changed! It's way to open to interpretation. At least in some other states with Stand Your Ground Laws, even if you shoot someone "in self defense" you are still arrested for the murder and then it's later decided if it was self defense.

Posted by: Lisa at March 29, 2012 8:14 AM

I live in Florida so that is pretty much all the news we have on the local stations right now. I don't know why they can't just arrest him and follow through with the investigation as is done in every other case of every other crime around the country. Yes, it sucks he was not arrested right away, but he should be now and tried. I have NO idea where he can go to get a fair trial. They had to take Casey Anthony two counties away, but this is even bigger and more explosive than that. So, that is one thing that could hold up the proceedings.
But as a gun owner and lover of both the stand your ground law and the Castle law, it just tears me up inside that those in the media are trying to make this a case about gun rights and having laws changed. The guy is going to try to use every defense he can come up with as many believe he is as guilty as sin, but it won't stand up in court. There is no reason to change a law that protects people protecting themselves/their own property because some desperate guy is trying to hang onto any defense he can grasp.

Posted by: Tess at March 29, 2012 8:28 AM

Agrees with what everyone above said. Arrest him, have him stand trial.

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at March 29, 2012 8:59 AM

I agree with "jodifur" -- it needs to be investigated NOW.

Posted by: NancyB at March 29, 2012 9:10 AM

I work for a lawyer, and I agree with the lawyer. I posted about Geraldo Rivera on my FB page, and stated I didn't think I'd be safe in his 'hood wearing either my Blackhawks or my Harley hoodies, and posed the question to Geraldo (who doesn't know I exist, let alone read my FB page...)if he held the same archaic thinking regarding rape victims - they had it coming to them because of the way they're dressed. And now we have character assassination going on... like it used to be for rape victims... (I HOPE that's a thing of the past?) WTF America?

Posted by: Julee at March 29, 2012 10:05 AM

Well, we could follow the recommendation of the lead cop investigating that night and actually charge Zimmerman with manslaughter. We could use this as a reason to re-evaluate some practices and laws that originally derived from innocent residents who wanted to protect themselves from roving thugs...just like Trayvon Martin, say, who might have wanted to carry a gun and protect himself from those who would wander the streets armed looking for confrontations. Except in this case all Martin wanted to do was get home. Florida is, in my experience, home to a variety of racisms. I believe the State Attorney made a bad call and should fix it ASAP or we'll end up with a million hoodie march and a huge movement and I'll just bet the small minds in charge do not want much of that.

Posted by: rebecca at March 29, 2012 11:12 AM

What everyone else said. We won't know if he's guilty until all the facts are brought to light and Zimmerman is at least questioned. It concerns me that he went into hiding so quickly! But, the media is trying him and we don't have all the facts...one of the reasons I am glad I am not "the media" anymore!

Posted by: Krush at March 29, 2012 11:47 AM

Yep, Grand Jury. The media doesn't have all the facts. I hope justice is served, whatever that may be.

Posted by: Brooke at March 29, 2012 12:09 PM

Wow. I love you guys and your ability to be civil and awesome about every tension filled subject. Seriously. CF readers are so great.

And I agree with everyone else that this is crazy and the judicial system needs to do it's job.

Posted by: cj at March 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Jodifur for the win.

I think trying this case publically via the media is just plain and simple wrong.

I blame you, Geraldo Rivera, Nancy Grace, and all of your ilk. I blame you.

Posted by: Mindy at March 29, 2012 2:45 PM

Arrest and convict Zimmerman of 2nd degree murder and call it what it was, a tragedy.

Posted by: Brad at March 29, 2012 4:13 PM

I agree with the above posters who say it needs to be taken to trial, all evidence introduced to a court and go from there.

I think the thing that's made me angriest of all about this whole debacle is how the term "self defense" is being thrown around. I do believe (as most people would) that killing someone in TRUE self defense - to protect yourself or even your loved ones from imminent danger is forgiveable. If someone is breaking into your home with a gun or attacking you and you kill them, so be it.

BUT, and this is a huge but, I don't believe that self defense is going outside of your home and chasing down danger. Anyone can provoke a person into attack, and then kill them. If you're out walking down your street and I suddenly start chasing you with a gun (even if my intent is not to kill you), when you turn around and fight back and I kill you, it isn't self defense, it is murder.

Posted by: Rachel at March 29, 2012 10:09 PM

I can hardly read about this case anymore because it disturbs me so. My son is nearly 17 and white. This boy could have been anyone's kid and it's heartbreaking that his life ended like this.

I hope this case wasn't motivated by race, but it seems despite how far we have come--things like this are still happening with minorities too often. I hate to say it, but if had been a white kid killed--I feel the case would have been handled far better. Everything about this case, stinks.

Laws need to change and carrying a gun shouldn't give you the right to shoot someone so easily. Had this kid broke into Zimmerman's car or home, I could understand how this happened. His story doesn't jive with me. It seems too convenient given that he was following the kid around.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 29, 2012 11:19 PM