March 20, 2012

Research

I've always been kinda good at a lot of things. I'm a good parent, I can write, I can play a guitar pretty well. I snap a decent photograph, I'm a good boss and I know what I'm doing professionally. I can play tennis but my serve sucks, I'm an okay cook, and I think I'm a decent enough web designer. But I've been racking my brain for the longest time to figure out the one thing that I'm really good at, the one thing that could translate into making a living.

I was in a meeting the other day. I was the one being asked questions of so a couple hours prior I figured I better have some answers. So I did a nominal amount of research. The meeting went great and told people what I knew. They seemed to be impressed.

And that's what I'm good at. Research.

I know, it sounds boring. Really, really boring. But I enjoy facts. I enjoy knowing things and tying those pieces of knowledge together into some meaningful whole. Now I just need to figure out a way to do more of it and make a million bucks doing so.

What are you good at? Do you get to use that goodness on a regular basis?

Posted by Chris at March 20, 2012 8:18 AM
Comments

Ditto. The one thing that I'm really good at doing is research.

It makes me a good friend because when friends have problems/questions I'm excellent at finding what they need to know. Plus I'm inquisitive by nature, so if time allows, I'll start looking into something just for the heck of it.

Thus I'm rarely bored. Boring, perhaps-- but never bored! ;-)

Posted by: Ally Bean at March 20, 2012 8:53 AM

Me, too. I'm good at lots of things as well, and can pick up new things quickly. But I am searching for my passion. As we prepare to relocate, I'm thinking I can pretty much reinvent myself professionally. But as what? I want something I love so much, I jump out of bed, ready to go. But I tire of most things eventually, for various reasons. So I have this fear that I'll get through life and look back to see years littered with "getting by" and "paying the bills" but not that one shining thing.

Posted by: Brooke at March 20, 2012 9:00 AM

I like to consider myself good at research too, actually. But I'd say I am good at assessing what needs to get done and executing. I'm not so good at making plans but if I am under the gun, I can perform.

Posted by: claire at March 20, 2012 9:07 AM

That's cool because research is important in just about every job.

I'm good at... operations. Meaning you could throw me into any organization and after a short amount of time I could streamline it and make changes that would not only be more profitable but would more importantly make everyone happier and more efficient at their jobs. I've been thrown in to several situations where individually everyone is great but they need someone to pull it all together to form a team. I can do that. I find that I do this in my non-paying responsibilities in life, but I don't see that as being less important.

Posted by: Brad at March 20, 2012 9:41 AM

Cooking. And yes, I get to practice my craft nearly every day.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 20, 2012 10:14 AM

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who is good at, and enjoys, research. I love all aspects of it, especially putting all of the pieces together and being able to help others with it.

Posted by: bacioni at March 20, 2012 10:24 AM

I am good at finding lost things. No one else even bothers to look any more.

Posted by: Lisa at March 20, 2012 10:41 AM

I'm a librarian so I pretty much get paid to do research. It's nowhere near a million bucks though. I'm good at baking cookies. Mrs. Fields and Famous Amos have beaten me to that particular nest egg. I'm also fairly good at rallying the troops/inspiring people/putting teams together, etc. I use dot joke that I wanted to grow up and be a guru. Now I really DO want to grow up and be a guru but it might be a wee bit too late.

Posted by: rebecca at March 20, 2012 11:19 AM

Another researcher here. My friends call me Google Lisa, they can't be bothered or don't know how to find the information, they call or text me and I find it for them...I love to research the hell out of anything we do...a friend of mine decided to open her own Legal Research company because she loves to research so much, she is a lawyer and knows many lawyers don't have the time to do the necessary research required for cases...

Posted by: Lisa at March 20, 2012 11:20 AM

I'm good at knowing a lot of random things about a huge amount of subject matter. Sadly, it has not parlayed itself into international fame and wealth.

Posted by: Mel at March 20, 2012 11:28 AM

It's a downright handy skill! I'm not entirely sure what mine is ... though I have a lot of the "I'm pretty good at"s that you do, like music and cooking and photography, writing...and I HOPE to be a good parent haha. But for the rest I suppose I'll just keep trying things out!

Posted by: Heather at March 20, 2012 6:24 PM

I, too, am good at doing research, mine being the science-flavored type. I didn't know it until about 5 years ago, but hell, now it's what I do everyday and I can't imagine ever doing anything else. Scientific research is like solving a huge puzzle, except that you're doing it without a picture on a box to guide you. You create the picture as you put the pieces together little by little, adding onto what others may have already done. It's what makes novel research so potentially rewarding; you're creating knowledge (a picture) where there previously was none.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 21, 2012 7:32 PM