March 7, 2012

Rush To Judgment

Rush Limbaugh is an asshat of the highest order. The recent Sarah Fluke incident is merely a reminder that Rush is King of the Asshats. I'd like to remind anyone who takes him seriously that Rush flunked out of college after two semesters then became Jeff Christie, top 40 radio DJ. He's hardly qualified as a political analyst. In fact, Rush is nothing more than an angry, failed DJ who likes to stir up trouble and read about himself in the news the next day. He's a narcissist with a vicious mean streak, nothing more.

Look, people, believe what you want to believe, think what you want to think. If you're a right wing conservative who believes that abortion is evil, gay marriage is wrong, contraception is a travesty, and universal healthcare is socialist, fine. But don't let yourselves be influenced by a sexist, a huckster, a bigot.

In his apology, Rush said, "I acted too much like the leftists who despise me. I descended to their level, using names and exaggerations. It's what we've come to expect from them, but it's way beneath me." No, Rush. No it's not. It's exactly what we've come to expect.

Did Rush cross the line? If so, should there be consequences?

Posted by Chris at March 7, 2012 7:52 AM
Comments

He is just a horrible horrible vile person. He gets off on what he does and he is an incredible hypocrite. There is no punishment too severe....he should be banned from the airwaves forever...sued for every penny....it's nice to see his sponsors dropping like flies..

Posted by: Lisa at March 7, 2012 8:08 AM

You should really not take Rush so seriously, even as a conservative I know that he is full of it most of the time. In my opinion he is more of an entertainer than a political analyst. Think of him like that and maybe he will not get under your skin so much. :)

Posted by: linda at March 7, 2012 8:12 AM

If Don Imus was fired for racially insensitive & sexist comments-then Rush deserves the same punishment. And what a back-handed & insincere apology was that. UGH!

Posted by: amyd at March 7, 2012 8:19 AM

Our schools are working to stop bullying yet Rush has been given a national platform and millions to bring bullying to the masses. He's a good example of what's wrong with our country. Clear Channel needs to do the right thing by firing him.

Posted by: Carolyn at March 7, 2012 8:55 AM

He's an asshole, and that was a shitty excuse for an apology. I hope he loses all his sponsors. Dollars and cents is the only language his ilk understand.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 7, 2012 9:08 AM

...who?

Posted by: Julee at March 7, 2012 9:17 AM

Don't get me started on this asshat! I've been growing angrier and angrier the more I think about what he said and how he said it. I am in no way saying that Ms. Fluke's parents should have, but I swear, if he had spoke about my child that way, I would have been in his office expecting a face to face meeting where I'd give him a piece of mind. What a complete and utter waste of a human being.

Linda, you may be one who doesn't pay attention to Rush and brush him off as an 'entertainer', but there are others who don't and buy into everything he says. And that is what makes people like me angry and unable to dismiss him as an 'entertainer' and no more. It's dangerous, it's wrong. And I believe that about anyone, left or right, who speaks untruths such as he did and calls it right.

Posted by: cyndy at March 7, 2012 9:18 AM

He did exactly what I would've expected him to do. I don't understand why anyone is *surprised* at this point. He has always been just exactly this asshole-y.

Posted by: Julie at March 7, 2012 10:15 AM

I had to comment simply because 1) you said asshat ( I love that!) and 2) he's vile and 3) as an overeducated white woman...I am more intelligent that him :)

Posted by: Michelle at March 7, 2012 10:29 AM

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.

I have never understood why anyone listens to this hateful, vile loon. He's on radio, so he doesn't have a never-ending leash here. In my mind, he should be tossed. The problem is that he has a huge audience that buys into this crap and feeds off of him.

He continues to cross a line. He attacked Ms. Fluke to make a point and women aren't tolerating it. He fired up a great many women and what makes me even prouder is all the men that have called him out and said how unacceptable this is.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 7, 2012 10:33 AM

I've never been proud of the fact that my parents are huge Rush fans, but right now I want to crawl under a rock. *sigh*

Would banishing him from Earth be too extreme?

Posted by: Jess at March 7, 2012 1:29 PM

I will not defend what Rush said but I find the reaction of the left to be hypocritical~ where is the outrage against Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, Jimmy Fallon ( a few off the top of my head) when they make equally demeaning remarks about conservative women? I don't accept the "they are comedians" excuse because Rush is simply a talk show host as well.

Posted by: Laura at March 7, 2012 3:03 PM

i guess i must just be a little too uptight and expect a higher level of decency from my entertainers, because *any* entertainer that says the kinds of things that rush limbaugh has been schilling for years "gets under my skin". not to mention that his audience sincerely does not consider him to be just an entertainer. i'm a little insulted that i should be expected to wave this whole thing off because he's "just" an entertainer. his views are adopted and re-spewed by countless sheeple. he is such a hateful, miserable person. un-christ-like, to those of you that would care about that.

as for jon stewart, the difference with him is that he is not only a brilliant entertainer (comparing apples to apples) but a decent well-intentioned human being (comparing apples to oranges).

if the government tried to silence him, then it would be violating his right to free speech. if his audience, his advertisers, his radio stations and the intelligent women of this country pressure him into radio silence, then all's fair.

Posted by: kati at March 7, 2012 5:36 PM

In response to Laura's comment: The difference is Ms. Fluke is a private citizen. The others aren't. This isn't an apples to apples comparison. The other women are politicians or news people. I don't know exactly who you are using as your examples other than I'm assuming, Sarah Palin. Bill Maher is on HBO. Rush is on the radio. Far different standards. Comedians get away with much more.

I watched Ms. Fluke's testimony. She discussed medical issues and complications that can arise from being denied access to the pill. Nothing Rush said had anything to do with what she discussed. He attacked her personally for speaking out.

I don't call women names like Rush and others did, but I'm a private citizen. If I did, it wouldn't be repeated over and over and published. That is the difference in my mind. His words have been repeated over and over again. Far too many people feel what he said is okay.

It seems worse to hear or read it over and over again. How she was treated in my view was to completely shut her up and make women think twice about speaking out.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 7, 2012 6:01 PM

I wasn't going to comment, but I need to ask a question to those who say he's just "an entertainer": Is that kind of entertainment something you enjoy? I wouldn't be proud of that either.

Step away from the radio and read a book.

Posted by: Rebecca at March 7, 2012 6:16 PM

Geesshhh, Rebecca no one every tell you a dirty joke and you laughed? You are one uptight bitch, if you ask me, personally.... :(

Posted by: Linda at March 8, 2012 8:30 AM

The double standard that I am hearing is not only the reaction I expected but it absolutely appalling. Bill Maher and Jon Stewart use "comedy" to spew their political agenda. I am not only speaking of Palin but also Bachman, Michele Malkin, Laura Ingraham....

Posted by: Laura at March 8, 2012 9:14 AM