March 16, 2012

The Weeklies #208

The Weekly Beer. Great Lakes Brewing Company India Pale Ale.

The Weekly Word I Like For An Inexplicable Reason. Catapult.

The Weekly TV. This season of Survivor (yes, we've been watching since the first season and will probably continue until Jeff Probst is in a wheelchair being airlifted to remote islands) is nuts. Seriously, the best study in group dynamics on TV.

The Weekly Music. I feel about the band Say Anything like my father must have thought about me in high school. He knew I was smart and capable yet after a strong freshman year I just stopped trying. Say Anything is a brilliant band, immensely capable of smart, indie goodness. Their first album (Say Anything Is A Real Boy) was this brilliant, raw, smart hunk of music and emotion that still gives me chills. But everything they've released since has been just, well, meh. I was holding my breath for a strong release when their latest Anarchy, My Dear. Sadly, I can't say that it truly redeemed the band but did reinforce just how awesome Say Anything is. This album isn't their best but it's better than 90% of the stuff I've listened to in 2012 thus far.

The Weekly Sound. The surprisingly loud mating calls of our horny pond frogs.

The Weekly Person. Everyone involved wit Improv Everywhere, a group committed to reacquainting adults with the idea of playing.

The Weekly Question. What should we do about Syria?

Posted by Chris at March 16, 2012 7:55 AM
Comments

Happy 4th anniversary of the Weeklies!

Catapult is an awesome word. Now I can't stop saying it. Catapult.

Posted by: Susan at March 16, 2012 9:17 AM

I'm a huge fan of Improv Anywhere. Love it.

Syria? We don't do anything because it's not our damn country, and we have giant problems of our own. Do I sound like Ron Paul yet? :) I'm tired of being 4 Trillion dollars in debt and still driving a Bentley when we go to the grocery store. We can't afford to step in every time there is a crisis somewhere. That being said, I'm all for providing medical supplies and food around the world because it's real help, and it's a fraction of the money we spend on blowing shit up.

Posted by: Brad at March 16, 2012 9:20 AM

I agree with Brad. Playing policeman to the world is simply not something a country teetering on financial insolvency can afford. Also, every time we get involved in these things the law of unintended consequences bites us in the ass.

Posted by: COD at March 16, 2012 9:48 AM

Syria. The rare occasion where I honestly know nothing that is going on in Syria. Haven't been following it.

I feel we should stay involved in the world, but we can't afford to jump into everything that happens. We stick our necks out, financially and otherwise and often get burned.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 16, 2012 6:04 PM

I don't know what to do about Syria. It disturbs me greatly that civilians are being raped, tortured, and slaughtered by their government who is lying to the world and saying "terrorists" are doing this, all while the president and his wife are emailing each other and others about Blake Shelton songs and jewelry.

It's just absurdly surreal.

I have no answers.