March 6, 2012

What I Want To Learn More About

The other might as I was putting Mia to bed she complained that school was boring. She's a smart kid. This complaint does not surprise me. She and I talked about this for a long time. Then I handed her a pen and a piece of paper. "Make a list. Everything you want to learn more about. Then you and I will tackle it together." She immediately began furiously writing. I told her she didn't have to write it now, that she could jot something down when she thought of it. She ignored me and kept writing.

The next night while I was putting her to bed, she silently walked to her dresser, picked up the list - now two pages long - handed it to me and expressed her desire to learn everything. That night. I explained this would be a gradual thing, that I was not going to tackle division, polar regions, multiplication tables and penguins in a twenty minute time period. We decided to stick with multiplication.

But all of this got me thinking. What do I want to know more about?

- Robyn Hitchcock
- Global warming and environmentalism in general
- How to grow a good garden
- North Korea
- How to play the cello
- Vladimir Putin
- Glass blowing
- Linux (specifically Ubuntu)
- Spanish

Hello, Wikipedia.

What do you want to learn more about?

Posted by Chris at March 6, 2012 7:46 AM
Comments

Football
Investing
Alternative energy
glitter art
Korea/Iran/overall situation in Middle East

Posted by: Lisa at March 6, 2012 8:15 AM

Programming, specifically Python.
How to play guitar
Gardening
Auto repair

Posted by: COD at March 6, 2012 9:09 AM

reiki
gardening
how to play drums

Posted by: akofaolain at March 6, 2012 9:48 AM

I'll get back to you when I'm finished with my list, which will most likely equal or exceed the length of Mia's..

I'm a lifelong learner, never want to stop learning, never feel like I know enough, so I can quit now, and don't understand people who do.

Posted by: Julee at March 6, 2012 9:48 AM

What a great idea! Off the top of my head I'd say French, financial planning, crocheting, advanced HTML ... I'm going to have to think about this.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 6, 2012 11:03 AM

Let's see:
-Piano
-home electrical repair
-how to prune trees
-juggling
-Sweden
-how to operate a still, without getting blown up or poisoned

Posted by: j at March 6, 2012 12:59 PM

When my son was in kindergarten we ran across the same problem. My husband and I were frusterated because they couldn't - or in my opinion, wouldn't - give him work that was above knowing your letters and numbers and coloring. We had to fight so he could check out library books that were at an appropriate reading level. Long story short, our library had suitcases in the kids section sorted by subjects and filled with books, cds, dvds, etc. He loved them and we felt like he was actually learning something. Might be something worth looking into for Mia. I think they were actually intended for homeschooling, oh well!

Posted by: Kristi at March 6, 2012 4:06 PM

Off the top of my head:

- bike repair (would save me a fortune)
- growing things
- cooking (the science behind it)
- social media (for work)
- Islam (for knowledge's sake)

And I will steal financial planning and HTML from Frauline N.

Posted by: Foggy Dew at March 6, 2012 4:21 PM

Sewing
Knitting
Financial Planning
How to bake artisan bread
How to play the violin

Posted by: Jenn at March 6, 2012 5:40 PM

I want to learn, learn, learn. I'm a student of this world, and every new thing I hear about it, I want to learn more about. Like Mia and Julee - I could easily write a two page list. In fact, instead of resolutions, I write "What I Want to Learn This Year" lists . .

Right now?

I'd be really happy to learn how to hem my own pants.

Posted by: Mindy at March 7, 2012 5:49 PM